Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
One really has to be desperate to even consider one night here.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Separately I will agree that staff is generally quite good and while I've never stayed as long as three nights, it one of the go-to places for a late arrival/one night stay.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks for the update. Previous reports noted mold issues, and it's the main reason I have never tried Aloft because I am allergic. Does it seem to be better now?
I stayed in this hotel 5 times for a total of around 28 nights from August to December 2017. Out of 5 stays I had to change rooms several times due to this mouldy issues. On my 3rd and 4th stays, I actually had to change the rooms 3 times on each occasion due to this mould and faulty door issues.

So it depends on your luck even though I told them clearly in my email and during check in that I do not want any mould foul smelling rooms.

If you want to have an enjoyable and happy stay in BKK then I suggest you might want to skip this hotel. So do not expect much from this hotel if you want to stay here especially as a Platinum.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:30 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
Glad to hear they've riddened themeselves of that awful carpet. How new is this development? I stayed here sometime last spring and the carpet was still in place.
6 months or so.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Thanks for the update. Previous reports noted mold issues, and it's the main reason I have never tried Aloft because I am allergic. Does it seem to be better now?
I recently had a room with a slight mustiness and it stood out because all other stays didn't have any hint of mildew. The only room I've been assigned in the last while with carpet was a suite and that had no problems at all.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:41 pm

Never noticed any mold issues here, although have noticed that peculiar musty smell ( maybe that's mold), but not for a while. If they changed the carpet then I didn't notice it ( but that doesn't mean much).
I don't mind this place; it has grown on me a bit. Breakfast is still pretty reasonable and much better experience now they got self-serve proper coffee machines. A good move.
My major frustration is checkin/out. Should be so quick for a prepaid arrival and yet it takes an age. Checkout can be slow depending on the time as well, express recommended.
I still use this hotel if it stays cheapish when the rates elsewhere creep up.
As everyone knows, suites are pretty unavalable ( I'm 1/30 in that regard and never bother asking). The suite is just 2 standard rooms with a door IIRC; nice to have if you can get it.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Aloft is my lower cost go-to in Bangkok, but I hadn't been there in a while until.... I stayed for three nights over New Year's and then another night the following week. First, I note that there is a new GM, who started in the second half of December, IIRC. I know her from her previous positions in Starwood/Marriott.
The GM's last position used to be the Hotel Manager at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. She had also worked as a Director of Rooms, under Richard Chapman, at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.
I trust that she will bring improvement to the hotel, but the ownership must also provide her the funds to resolve some of the issues.

I might try the hotel again in a while.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:28 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by UASPG
I trust that she will bring improvement to the hotel, but the ownership must also provide her the funds to resolve some of the issues.
She is aware of the challenges and committed to bring those improvements. Of course the funds need to be there, as you say.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Just completed a stay there this past weekend...probably my 7th or 8th at this Aloft.

As a plat I was assigned a normal room on the 32nd (top) floor. Room had the usual musty smell though it wasn't as strong as before they replaced the carpet with laminate. Contrary to other reports, It's still definitely noticeable.

Breakfast was good and I appreciated the self service coffee option. Quality, and variety, of the food seemed about the same as my last visit in Feb 17. Half priced baked goods in the small cafe every evening 7p-Midnight was a tough promotion to pass up. Hahaha.

Tuktuk seemed to be more available in the past for rides to the BTS or Term 21 area. When tuktuk isn't available I'd just grab a motorbike taxi for the quick 20baht ride to Sukhumvit. Obviously not an option for the faint of heart.

There's nowhere to escape the inconsiderate cigarette smokers in the small pool area. Wish they'd offer a nonsmoking section besides the bar and (covered) lounge area.

I didn't experience the previously reported lengthy checkin-checkout issues. My arrival card was pre-filled and checkout took maybe 3 minutes but that's because I had a few room charges to process.

Staff was friendly and happy to assist with all requests.

Last edited by hockeystl; Feb 2, 2018 at 6:58 am
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I can't remember the rate of the Aloft Bangkok being higher than the Four Points Bangkok, but I just noticed 3 nights in March (16th through 18th) when the Aloft is at THB 3,021 while the Four Points is priced at THB 3,015.

BTW, for the same period, the ROSH, with its 500 amenity pts, happy hour drinks and food, lounge breakfast, river view and it their easy to get executive suite upgrades (for Platinum guests) is just at THB 3,078.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:04 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
looks like the blocked all standard rooms ? I cant see any room available for normal points rate ...
Old May 16, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by cln
looks like the blocked all standard rooms ? I cant see any room available for normal points rate ...
Randomly picked May 27 and 4K pts and 2K P&C rates show.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:59 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
I tried dates next year. :/..
Old May 16, 2018, 7:35 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by UASPG
I can't remember the rate of the Aloft Bangkok being higher than the Four Points Bangkok, but I just noticed 3 nights in March (16th through 18th) when the Aloft is at THB 3,021 while the Four Points is priced at THB 3,015.

BTW, for the same period, the ROSH, with its 500 amenity pts, happy hour drinks and food, lounge breakfast, river view and it their easy to get executive suite upgrades (for Platinum guests) is just at THB 3,078.
Recent stays there at THB2035++. 4Pts slightly higher, but it is off season
Old May 23, 2018, 3:23 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by rbAA
Recent stays there at THB2035++. 4Pts slightly higher, but it is off season
You can also sometimes get the recently built Hyatt Place for something in the range 2100-2300++ THB, depending on dates. Given that Aloft does not really provide much in terms of Plat benefits, I would say that even if you do not have Hyatt elite status, HP can be a decent alternative unless you need the SPG night credits. You'll even get breakfast at HP for that price, without status. And if you have status at Hyatt you have good odds of a room upgrade, which you won't get at Aloft.

Bottom line, even for 2k THB I am not sure Aloft is such a good deal in this city given the meagre Plat benefits. You can get something more recent and modern elsewhere for that price.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:02 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
You can also sometimes get the recently built Hyatt Place for something in the range 2100-2300++ THB, depending on dates. Given that Aloft does not really provide much in terms of Plat benefits, I would say that even if you do not have Hyatt elite status, HP can be a decent alternative unless you need the SPG night credits. You'll even get breakfast at HP for that price, without status. And if you have status at Hyatt you have good odds of a room upgrade, which you won't get at Aloft.

Bottom line, even for 2k THB I am not sure Aloft is such a good deal in this city given the meagre Plat benefits. You can get something more recent and modern elsewhere for that price.
Very true. A friend of mine recently stayed at the HP, and I was very impressed with the property. More convenient to get to as well. Alas, I'm cutting back on the number of hotel stays and concentrating on SPG this year and MR next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.