Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Your Best and Worst Stay of 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Not much SPG traffic due to the WORST one below; I had to venture back to Marriott in northern SAN area.

BEST: (Westin) Swan - better experience than Dolphin last 2 times and customer service was excellent (or maybe best because it was vacation and not a business trip)

WORST: Sheraton La Jolla, CA
- hard to find entrance to the hotel w/o GPS for 1st time visitors; finally had to enable my smart phone GPS to find entrance off of side street
- park the car, get room assignment and then get back into the car (while hauling luggage) to drive around and park near building you are assigned is not appealing on a business trip when checking in near end of day.
- SPG GLD upgrade was ground floor room w/ windows open to the parking lot, i.e. no privacy
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Best: The Chatwal, New York: Time and again, stay after stay, consistent upgrades and tremendous service down to the front desk staff and amazing butler staff. This place has turned into my favorite property in NYC.

Best (Honorable Mention): W Boston: For an upgrade to the E-WOW suite on a two night stay; clear winner for most over the top upgrade of the year and sincerely appreciated.

Worst (Honorable Mention): W New York - Times Square: For seeing their normally great upgrade consistency go down the tubes. I had a couple of stays where it was just too late in the day to fight, but another where I did based on clear availability on spg.com that was still refused by the front desk.

Worst: Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Mississauga: My only non full service property stay of the year; one night. "Upgraded" apparently, but the room layout was awful to the point that one could not watch the TV while in bed!

I guess all in all with Starwood a pretty good year if the "worsts" include what I'm complaining about.

Starwood will continue to be my primary in 2012, hopefully it will be a good year of promos.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Best: Le Meridien Angkor Wat in Cambodia (while using 2 FRN). Manager greeted me personally upon arrival, and spent 20 mins outlining where to go, what to do, where to eat. He apologized for not having a suite available for the first of my 2 nights, but I barely got to my room and FD called to say that someone had left early, and I could have a suite in 1 hr. No lounge but comp buffet breakfast. Macaroons in my room at night, fresh fruit basket every day. Plus it had a gorgeous pool area. I have never felt like such a valued Platinum member!

Worst: 4 Points in Edmonton, Alberta. What a dump. Thought I'd landed back in a cheap hotel in the 70s. Plus it took 1.5 months to get my points and stay credit (I was on a BRG rate).
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by uwbrother
Worst: Was at a very respectable non-Starwood hotel in Beijing. A lot of travel really messed up my back, so figured I'd get a massage. Did not want to go to a questionable place, so seeing how the hotel was well known and all, I went down to the hotel spa. They said they could send someone to my room if I wanted. I agreed. A girl came to the hotel and quoted prices with and without "happy ending". "Umm, I really just wanted a massage, no happy ending". "Oh, then I'll send another girl". What the hecK . The other girl came, started the massage and then asked me if I wanted to turn around and get the "full treatment" for only 500RMB more. I asked her to leave and she suggested doing it for 400RMB more. Hehe, no, I really only wanted a massage but no more.

No issues with people's lifestyles, but that soured my experience at that hotel.

BEST: All other experiences were fairly good. Nothing stood out.
Think we're gonna need to know what hotel this was... Haha.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Edited

Last edited by andrewpartyman; Dec 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Best - Liberty Hotel Boston

Worst (by far) - Sheraton Atlantic City
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:47 pm

Best: Sheraton Waikiki - I hardly spent ten minutes in the room, but it was pretty grand, a suite with a funky kitchen and a nice view. Far bigger than my first apartment. Add on the fantastic lounge, and this one stands out.

Honorable Mention: Aloft Brussels (for service and location); Le Meridien President, Dakar, Senegal (an "A" for effort); Sheraton Gambia (tried like heck to make a miserable stay, tolerable).

Worst/Weirdest: Sheraton Avon, CO: Liked the kitchen, fireplace and "cabin" feel, but it failed as a hotel for a business stay (short fitness center hours, no restaurant). Timeshare sales in the lobby pretty relentless - made having clients stop by impossible.

Lovably Neutral - Where I know everything's going to be okay, even if I'm not dazzled: Sheraton Gateway, Los Angeles; Westin Bonaventure, Los Angeles
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by etsmyers
BEST:

I unfortunately did not have any over the top stays this year. In the past, great experiences at Scottsdale @, Hoboken W and Toronto Sheraton.

WORST

Every stay at the Meriden 4 points (3)
HAHAHA... I say at Meriden a lot. It's not that bad. Don't get me wrong, it's no W but it's clean and convenient.

A few times in a row, I got stuck on the 2nd floor by the elevator with the bus loads of folks taking tours. I emailed the manager and said I was a plat and if you continue to put me on floor 2 next to the elevator, I will take my business to Norwalk. He emailed me back and apologized. I've been on the 6th floor since.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
BEST = Le Centre Sheraton Montreal in a massive suite. Close second is the Sheraton Sand Key also in a nice suite on the Gulf of Mexico

WORST = Sheraton Hartford. Such a dump, it's not longer part of SPG.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:01 pm

To the OP: It might be useful for the readers of this post to have a consolidated list of bests & worsts on the original post? (just a suggestion)

My best this year: Tie between Schloss Fuschl and Convento do Espinheiro. Legendary service in both properties. Great upgrades. Beautiful locations. Very memorable.

My worst this year: Imperial Vienna. Keep your expectations in check. This is a very high end hotel and the staff here are used to dealing with very high profile VIPs. I noticed a tendency to not care as much about the plebs - e.g. we unloaded our own luggage from the taxi, not once were we greeted by the staff when we ran into them, concierge showing frustrations when he thought I was asking too many questions etc.

When I stay at a $70/night property and get crappy service, I let it pass. But for a hotel at EUR400++ a night you really need to be treated well.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Best: Sheraton Steamboat Springs (Insane suite upgrade)

Worst: Tie - Sheraton Vistana Orlando I-Drive and Meadowlands Sheraton
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by jb3t
HAHAHA... I say at Meriden a lot. It's not that bad. Don't get me wrong, it's no W but it's clean and convenient.

A few times in a row, I got stuck on the 2nd floor by the elevator with the bus loads of folks taking tours. I emailed the manager and said I was a plat and if you continue to put me on floor 2 next to the elevator, I will take my business to Norwalk. He emailed me back and apologized. I've been on the 6th floor since.
i do love how they POUR points at you, but the place is WORN!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Best: Grand Sheraton Edinburgh- even with the construction, I found that a business trip with extra days to myself was not so lonely in the beautiful suite they assigned me. The staff was wonderful, and I was staying some nights on points (my non-business nights) and they still gave me the full suite upgrade.
TIED WITH
Best: Sheraton New Orleans- my 1st stay there this year was amazing with an upgrade to a Governor's Suite overlooking the river. The floor to ceiling windows were breathtaking!

Worst- Sheraton Anchorage. November in Anchorage (my birthday, no less) and I stay in a sauna-like room with NO relief. Thank God I had planned to stay at Captain Cook the next day b/c the room was tiny, bordering an ice machine and vending, and the AC was off. Sometimes you NEED AC in the winter! Heat rises, and if you're surrounded by other people overdoing the heat, your room can and will get hot. My room was in the high 80's and humid and the window opened only half an inch with no way for any air to come in.

I called more than 3 times, they finally sent me a fan. Maintenance showed up but had no words, other than asking me why I would stay in a corner room. It didn't look like one to me being so small, but the vending area made it a corner room I guess. The front desk NEVER called back to see how I was, if the problems were resolved, etc. And when I checked out and told the guy how bad it was (when he asked me if my stay was okay) he didn't even apologize! Not a word.

I had originally been given an UG to a junior suite, that while NOT a suite, at least was big enough for air circulation. But I walked in to a toilet un-flushed, towels, wet and dirty on the floor, and the bedroom had sheets everywhere piled up. I thought I'd walked in on someone! I requested they send me to a quiet cool room and instead I got the sauna. Note that they never offered to CLEAN the junior suite or find me another (the place wasn't busy.) They didn't do a THING. Only the next day did ONE employee make it a bit better by taking me to Captain Cook for a last-minute meeting. But even that doesn't save this from being my worst stay of the year! Still makes me shudder!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Best: Tie between Westin Cape Town and Grand Mauritian

Worst: Probably the W FLL
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I figured I'd give it more time, and tally up the number of times properties were mentioned for an unscientific trend of what hotels were great in 2011 and which were not. Next time I have a long flight, I will do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.