Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's Your Best and Worst Stay of 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
Best: W Maldives. The service and privacy were perfection.

Worst: W Chicago this summer, only because we had to wait forever for our room. Something like 4:30-5:00, when checkin was 3:00. Not anything that changed our minds about staying there again, just an annoyance.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:00 pm

So far:

Best: For me it is the Sheraton Arabellapark and Westin Munich as they really knew my favors (stayed there 1,5 years in a row and switched nearly daily)

Worst: 4points Milan
Not worth an SPG brand hotel as it rooms are small and worn, odd area and horrible slow internet which takes 15 minutes to check in to a plane.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: plenty
Best: LM El Vendrell and Maria Cristina San Sebastian
Both great hotels with very good staff

Worst: LM Vienna, where I had to deal with an incompetent lady at check-in and finally got a mini-upgrade from deluxe to executive room after lots of unnecessary discussions. Plenty of suites available. Hotel is nothing special either, since it is quite large, they attract a lot of group business.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Great thread!

Best: Westin Dublin. Had exceptional service and an upgrade to a "junior suite" that was really more like a full suite with the living room up several stairs from the bedroom and an enormous balcony overlooking Trinity college. It was a very memorable experience.

Honorable mentions to Le Meridien London (nice upgrade, great breakfast in Plat lounge), Le Meridien Munich (great upgrade and service), and W Mid-town Atlanta (most of the time)

Worst: Four Points Durham at Southpoint. The room faced the atrium and was incredibly noisy and service was just a little off (I know it's a Four Points, but still was not up to par).

Honorable mention to W Buckhead Atlanta (the decor made me uncomfortable, service was forgettable)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by mlh1

Worst: W Chicago this summer, only because we had to wait forever for our room. Something like 4:30-5:00, when checkin was 3:00. Not anything that changed our minds about staying there again, just an annoyance.
Are you referring to the W Hotel Lakeshore or the W City Center?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:22 pm

Best: W Hong Kong silky smooth , hip , outrageous...WoW . Hotel comes at you @ 100mph.

Worst: Sheraton Anchorage...horrible.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Best: Sheraton Atakoy, Istanbul (check-in a little slow but VIP all the way after that). ^^

Runner-up: Four Points Santiago, Chile (some miscommunication during booking but they more than made up for it going out of there way during and after my stay! ^

Worst: Le Meridien Heliopolis, Cairo (a nightmare from start to finish)

Runner up: W New York, Times Square ( I will not stay with the W brand again based on this experience); obviously I am not their target market. I know they have their fan base but I prefer a hotel for adults.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
BEST
Room upgrade -
Hotel Maria Christina, San Sebastian, Spain. As a gold, was upgraded to the Picasso suite.

Unique Property-
Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam

Best view-
Westin Kuala Lumpur view of twin towers

Best Staff-
Best Housekeeping-
Cleanest room-
Best dining-
Sheraton Fiji - hands down

WORST
No contest - Westin Fiji

Last edited by PatMike; Dec 6, 2011 at 12:28 am
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by charder
For me it is the Sheraton Arabellapark and Westin Munich as they really knew my favors (stayed there 1,5 years in a row and switched nearly daily)
1.5 years in a row staying in a hotel?! Wow.

But: why did you switch hotels? Choosing between the Arabella and the Westin, in my opinion this is a clear choice. Not for you?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Best stay: W Bali Seminyak
Upgraded to a Villa for 3 nights using free resort nights. Easily our best SPG upgrade this year and a great hotel too.

A notable mention for the 4 Points Chambersburg in there as well. Nothing special about it at all, but for $45 it was great value with an upgrade to a clean, comfortable suite and good staff. Just a nice surprise compared to what was expected.

Worst stay: Sheraton Atlantic City
Had to fight for an upgrade and club access in a virtually empty hotel. Disinterested staff, tired rooms and poor service. Wouldn't be top of my list for a return stay any time soon.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by Breston
1.5 years in a row staying in a hotel?! Wow.

But: why did you switch hotels? Choosing between the Arabella and the Westin, in my opinion this is a clear choice. Not for you?
Every day fresh linen
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:26 am

Best stay: Westin Grand Munich - decent location, wonderful suite upgrade, nice lounge.

Runners up: Sheraton Lisbon and Four points Zurich

Worst stay: Sheraton Norfolk Waterside - very tired room/suite, lack of service and extremely bad soundproof between connecting rooms (the drunken party next door that started at 2 am felt like it was in your own room).

Runners up: Westin Hilton Head (tired), Westin Richmond (noisy) and Le Meridien Munich (noisy, zoo at breakfast area).
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
[QUOTE=RAPC;17574686]Best stay: W Bali Seminyak
Upgraded to a Villa for 3 nights using free resort nights. Easily our best SPG upgrade this year and a great hotel too.
/QUOTE]

Wow. Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more about this property. Though I didn't end up staying there - I changed my reservation at the last minute after getting a feel for their customer service and seeing the hotel / on-the-ground service first hand - I can say (with my limited amount of experience), is was one of the most poorly run properties in the SPG network. that said, I, glad your experience was so positive!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Preferred
BEST: St Regis San Francisco... so, my room was a little late... they didnt have to keep upgrading me over and over while I waited in their bar. But they did.
Also, the complimentary $125 martini to thank me for my patience while I waited for 30 minutes past check-in time seemed overly reasonable. The room I finally was given at the rate I paid was insane... what a wonderful experience.

WORST: Sheraton SLC... for some reason, my calls kept dropping on one side of the property... so they moved me to the other side and I never lost another call. Though I really feel bad categorizing this as a worse cause in reality... it was a great 11 day stay.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by ariyo15

Wow. Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more about this property. Though I didn't end up staying there - I changed my reservation at the last minute after getting a feel for their customer service and seeing the hotel / on-the-ground service first hand - I can say (with my limited amount of experience), is was one of the most poorly run properties in the SPG network. that said, I, glad your experience was so positive!
The quality of the upgrade was high, so I'm not sure I'd have been quite so impressed had we received the usual upgrade. That said, service, F&B etc were all very good during our stay. Management were very visible throughout, hence service standards from what we witnessed were high.

However that's a snapshot from the 3 nights / 4 days we were there, so I can't disagree with your observations. From what we experienced we'd go back and we're not really W people. Whether we'd have another great stay is another matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.