Resort fees instituted after booking

 
Old Nov 13, 11, 10:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Posts: 301
Resort fees instituted after booking

Do guests planning to stay at a property that just started imposing a resort fee have to pay this fee if their reservation was made months ago and contains no mention of the fee? It doesn't seem fair to charge the fee, but then I probably shouldn't expect fairness regarding these thinly disguised rate hikes that don't even qualify for starpoints.
freebee is offline  
Old Nov 13, 11, 10:08 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,041
Originally Posted by freebee View Post
Do guests planning to stay at a property that just started imposing a resort fee have to pay this fee if their reservation was made months ago and contains no mention of the fee?
No.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Nov 13, 11, 10:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canadia
Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Posts: 2,010
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
No.
Agreed; you're in the right. But you might still be in for a dispute at the front desk anyway. Bring your confirmation with you.
jerry305 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 4:37 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,796
Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
Agreed; you're in the right. But you might still be in for a dispute at the front desk anyway. Bring your confirmation with you.
there should not be any dispute....its similar to a rate change....if you booked at a particular rate then that is what you pay....doesn't matter what the rate is when you check in....
Keyser is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 7:02 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,897
Do reservations made through SPG.com necessarily disclose resort fees? Or are they necessarily disclosed on the hotel's SPG webpages?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 7:15 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,796
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do reservations made through SPG.com necessarily disclose resort fees? Or are they necessarily disclosed on the hotel's SPG webpages?
the page where you confirm your reservation is supposed to disclose all fees associated with the reservation....
Keyser is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 9:43 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Posts: 2,431
Originally Posted by freebee View Post
Do guests planning to stay at a property that just started imposing a resort fee have to pay this fee if their reservation was made months ago and contains no mention of the fee? It doesn't seem fair to charge the fee, but then I probably shouldn't expect fairness regarding these thinly disguised rate hikes that don't even qualify for starpoints.
can you tell us which property has "just started imposing a resort fee"?
clublounger is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 9:51 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,897
Are you sure? So this means that if there is no resort fee shown on my confirmation that I can see on the SPG.com website, then the property will not try to charge a resort fee?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 9:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Posts: 618
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Are you sure? So this means that if there is no resort fee shown on my confirmation that I can see on the SPG.com website, then the property will not try to charge a resort fee?
if they do charge you a fee when there was none disclosed during the booking and displayed on your confirmation it could be considered bait and switch. So I would recommend bringing your confirmation with you and explain that no fee was disclosed on it. If they give you a problem, ask for the manager on duty.
justspg is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 10:03 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Mind you I am NOT in support of resort fees, Hotel Service Fees, or any other additional charges that are merely a revenue generation device to low-ball room rates. However, on just about every confirmation I've received there has been a phrase such as:
* The displayed totals are estimates only and do not include any additional charges that may be incurred at the hotel. The actual total will be calculated by the hotel in its local currency, based on the local taxes and currency exchange rate (if applicable) in effect at the time charging occurs.
Which basically says they can add charges after the fact and it's not limited to just incidental room charges.

Again, I don't agree they should be allowed to do that, but it is there business. If they want to nickle and dime themselves out of business, it's their choice.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 10:36 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,075
I once stayed at a Travelodge that refused to honor my confirmed rate (not a mistake rate). We were informed that we could simply accept their higher rate or stay elsewhere. While standing at the check-in counter, I escalated the issue to Travelodge Corporate, but they could not or would not force the hotel to honor my confirmed rate, nor would they offer any other resolution, so we were stuck paying the higher rate. That was about 15 years ago, and I have refused to stay at Travelodge ever since.

So it's all well and good that the hotel shouldn't try to charge a resort fee, that doesn't mean the OP isn't in for a fight at check-in time or check-out time. Is there any SPG policy forbidding the adding of a resort fee to a reservation made without one?
mikew99 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 10:54 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Posts: 618
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
Is there any SPG policy forbidding the adding of a resort fee to a reservation made without one?
I don't believe there is, but there is a law preventing bait and switch tactics and adding a fee to a reservation that was not disclosed during the booking process and confirmed on the confirmation email would be considered bait and switch.
justspg is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 11:08 am
  #13  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
...Is there any SPG policy forbidding the adding of a resort fee to a reservation made without one?
When the resorts in Hawaii recently instituted a resort charge, none of the reservations that were made before it went into effect were charged.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 2:35 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,041
Originally Posted by justspg View Post
adding a fee to a reservation that was not disclosed during the booking process and confirmed on the confirmation email would be considered bait and switch.
It's definitely not bait and switch, but it would be a contract violation.

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
we were stuck paying the higher rate.
When you have the law on your side, just pay and file a credit card dispute for the overcharge. Works every time.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Nov 14, 11, 3:37 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: All Over - Gathering No Moss
Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
Posts: 435
Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
Agreed; you're in the right. But you might still be in for a dispute at the front desk anyway. Bring your confirmation with you.
As long as the confirmation is from Starwood and not from a third party site. If a third party didn't pass along the fees you may be in for a bit of trouble.


Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
The displayed totals are estimates only and do not include any additional charges that may be incurred at the hotel. The actual total will be calculated by the hotel in its local currency, based on the local taxes and currency exchange rate (if applicable) in effect at the time charging occurs.
I'm pretty sure the charges they refer to are things like restaurant, parking etc.

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Mind you I am NOT in support of resort fees, Hotel Service Fees, or any other additional charges that are merely a revenue generation device to low-ball room rates.
With you 100% on that one.
Rolling Stone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: