Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

I stayed at the 4 Points Barcelona Diagonal for a night last week and I found the hotel perfectly fine. A bit of detail as I seem to be the first to give a stay report
I actually quite like the area - it sits on the corner of Avengida Diagonal and La Rambla de Poblenou which is a Pedestrian Avenue that runs down to the beachfront and has quite a few open air restaurants.
Access
Its an easy 10min walk from El Clot Railway Station which is on the direct line to/from the Airport. Its a 5 min walk from Poblenou and Glories Metro station but given that getting from the Airport rail line to these metro stations involves 1 or 2 changes which can mean a reasonable length of walk making the connection anyway during which time you will be sized up by at least 537 of Barcelona's finest pickpockets (and I am speaking from intimate experience ), I did and always would choose the single rail journey to El Clot and the flat 10 min walk rather than the Rail/Metro option.
The hotel also must have a shuttle service to the airport because they did ask at check-in if I wanted a shuttle next day but I didn't ask for details.
Service
Friendly and efficient, with everyone perfectly fluent in English
Rooms
Not particularly large (think 4 Points Darling Harbour standard rooms) but obviously totally refurbished prior to the recent rebranding. The website seems to list 3 room types: Standard, Preferred (higher floor with better view) and Comfort (not too sure what the distinction is with those ? larger)
Facilities
Complimentary Wi-Fi for all
Business Centre (didn't check it out)
Fitness Centre apparently opening on the top floor in Feb/Mar 2012
Restaurant
Light and buzzy looking out onto Avengida Diagonal, good friendly service, nice reasonably priced menu including the standard Spanish fixed price lunch special for Euro 13 which was very good value - Appetiser (pasta,soup or good salad bar), Main (fish,beef,pork and chicken dishes) and Dessert with bread, mineral water and a bottomless glass of house wine.
Left prior to breakfast, but given the quality of the restaurant i would think it would be good.
What's Nearby?
Lots of and varied restaurants, 5 mins walk to Glories Shopping Centre with a huge Carrefours Supermarket (think Walmart Super Centre),Cinema Complex, Multiple shops and large food court
15 min walk down the Pedestrian Mall to the beach front
5-10 min walk to El Clot Mercat -looks like a large fresh produce market - and the surrounding area of El Clot is a pleasant neighbourhood
Local Transport
Major tram lines to the city centre, 2 metro stations within 5 mins walk and multiple bus lines at your doorstep.
Elite Recognition
Recognised Platinum status at check-in and offered Platinum Amenity. Asked if I could wait 10-15 mins at check-in (around 1pm) so that they could assign me a better room. 10-15 mins became half an hour (this is Spain after all - apologies to Catalunyan nationalists) and 2 more guests checked in and assigned rooms while I was waiting. When I got to my room it was on the 4th floor (? of 12) so clearly not a Preferred Room with city views and it certainly couldn't have been much smaller ( unless in Hong Kong) so I was a bit bemused as to what I had waited for -perhaps a King bed rather than twin. But I was only there for 14 hrs so wasn't too upset at this upgrade

Overall
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Clearly not in the same league as The W or Le Meridien but a fraction of the price as well. I had a BRG approved and paid about Euro 80. I love The W but would consider staying at the 4 Points if the rate differential was over Euro100 or so (which it usually is). If I had some FWN awards i think I'd still go with The W
I have stayed at the nearby HI Express which is usually priced a bit higher than the current 4 Points rates and the 2 hotels are chalk and cheese. The 4 Points is a couple of notches above in quality/amenities. Whether its prices will rise after its opening period - we will have to see. certainly good value at present rates.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator Note

The pre-opening discussion related to this property can be found in this thread.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I will be staying here in April.. will be giving a Trip report soon after
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:09 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Short overnight stay a couple of weeks ago, nice upgrade to a large suite on the 10th floor with a lateral view on the Sacrada Familia. Nice Hotel and attentive staff. Great value for the prices, nice restaurant and good bar. Hotel is a bit far from BCN main action spots and the garage is at the moment in a nearby building. It's a great choice if you want to stay on that part of the city. Wifi in the room worked poorly during the night but was perfectly fine from the early morning. Staff could not provide any explantions on the reasons.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Post Review with pics, Four Points Diagonal Barcelona 2011

Four Points Diagonal Barcelona 2011

For pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/582089800GmELqY

Two months ago, during Christmas, I stayed one night in this new Starwood hotel in Barcelona. Four Points is not the Starwood brand I am attracted to, but I wanted to give it a try. Only once I have stayed in the Cologne Four Points, and did not like it.

The Four Points Diagonal was a different kind of hotel. This hotel is categorized to be a 4* hotel.
The location of the hotel is in a modern area with a lot of offices.
The metro is a 10 minute walk away and the bus stop is in front of the hotel. The tram stops very close to the hotel and it is a very modern and fast way of transportation. In 10 minutes you can have a ride to the beach. The tram stops near the The Ritz hotel.

Checkin was formal and efficient, no warm welcome. I had made reservations for the comfort room and according to the pictures on the SPG site this room should be very spacious. I had requested for a chair or couch since the room did not offer a seating.
When I entered the room, it was not as spacious as the picture on the site…. and no seating. Optical delusion…? When I phoned to the reception they told me this was the comfort room, and they did delivered a very comfy leather seat. It was great to have a comfy seat in this room.
The interior was warm and cosy with a wooden floor and warm colors. Besides a kingbed it offered a small desk and deskseat, a flatsquare tv and a modern A/|C.
The bathroom was simple but very stylish and modern and even offered a whirlpooltub. A wide range of bathamenities was offered, though I did not like the fragrance of it, with comfy fluffy bathtowels.
I did enjoy my bath here.

As a welcome present I was offered a cap of this brand and many lollypops…. It was a nice gesture but I do not like lollypops so much….

The room did not offer a refreshment center or watercooker. Once a day you could order a coffee, but had to pay 2 or 3 euros for service costs. So, not really a free coffee. I missed a coffeemaker, but the answer of the hotel was I could take the coffee offer in the room…

The kingbed appeared to be very soft and did not support my back. I did not like the quality of the bed and did not think this was a quality bed.

Though the A/C was modern, I was not able to have it below 19C. I can imagine it could be a problem when it gets hot outside.

The room offered a nice view, see my pictures.

Dining:
Well, it was in one word: terrible. The quality of the food is below Starwood standards. The beef tenderloin was tasteless and watery and of a low quality. The potatoes and veggies were tasteless. And what about the wine…… the range of wines on the menu was too limited, just as the quality of it.
I was lucky since I had a very friendly waiter who had worked in the WBarcelona. He saved my dinner when he offered me a quality wine, so I had some enjoyment during my dinner.
I ordered a cheesecake with coffee as my dessert….. the taste was terrible and it seemed it was just taken away from a cheap supermarket. It seemed old and I did not finish it. I told the waiter I did not want to pay for it.
Ambiance in the evening is not cozy, the lamps are too bright and no small candles are placed on the tables for some warm lights. The restaurant is not spacious and together with the bar it seems to be too cramped.

The waiter was very friendly and offered me a second glass of wine and some chips and nuts, since I was still hungry.

I enjoyed my bath but I did not have a comfy sleep, the matrass was too soft for me. I ordered the coffee and it was delivered in no time. Service was very friendly.

The breakfast was the same story as the dinner. Tasteless breakfast items of very low quality except for the fruits, fresh coffee and chorizo. The cold cut meat was of low quality. The scrambled eggs tasted like putty and the breads were tasteless.
The coffee from the machines is terrible but I enjoyed the coffee from the bar.
The range of breakfast items was very limited.
Though I am not used to stay in hotels of this brand, the overall quality of the breakfast seemed to be 1 or 2 stars. I guess even in a decent low category hotel the quality of the food and drinks could be much and much better.

Service during breakfast was very friendly though.

The location: just on the doorsteps is Ramblas de Los Noubles, a very nice street where you notice the locals. No tourism, hurray! In 10 – 15 minutes you can walk to the beach. Rest of the area: offices and flats.

The hotel has a different kind of guests than the other Starwood brands.

I did have a nice talk with the manager of the hotel. I told him my experiences. He is a very friendly man and recognized some of my experiences. Since this hotel only recently became a Starwood hotel, it still needed some changes for the better. The supervisor of the restaurant had worked for the WBarcelona and he also recognized my experiences. He explained the quality of the food and drinks had to be improved and the hotel needed to change the suppliers.

Well, in general I liked the friendliness of the personnel so much! The manager appears to be a warm personality who cares for this new Starwood hotel and I am sure he will make it a success.
However, I am not used to this kind of hotels. It is not a 4* star hotel, I experienced it as a 2-3 star hotel since the overall quality is so low.
I.m.o. the hotel should offer rooms or juniorsuites with more comfort, like a comfy bed, a refreshment center, more comfortable lights and a comfy seat, etc.

Would I return….. well if the hotel improves its quality. And it should, since the brandname is Four Points by Sheraton and it is a Starwood property.

I was rather pleased to go to my favorite WBarcelona after this stay. I took the tram and in 10 minutes I was near the Ritz. Depending on the luggage you have, it can take a half hour walk along the coast to the WBarcelona. The other option is to take the bus to plaza Cataluna and another bus to WBarcelona.
Well, if you are not into this….., you can always take a taxi!

For pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/582089800GmELqY
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for posting this. I'm looking at a trip to Barcelona next year, and this hotel came across my radar. At a Category 2, this looks like a steal. My biggest concerns as a tourist is location and price. This looks to be a nice combination of both -- and for a 5th free award of 16,000 points total? Sold.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by DHAST
Thanks for posting this. I'm looking at a trip to Barcelona next year, and this hotel came across my radar. At a Category 2, this looks like a steal. My biggest concerns as a tourist is location and price. This looks to be a nice combination of both -- and for a 5th free award of 16,000 points total? Sold.

Last edited by jammanxc; Jan 16, 2016 at 9:37 pm
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:37 am

My biggest concerns as a tourist is location and price. This looks to be a nice combination of both -- and for a 5th free award of 16,000 points total? Sold.
The location is fine if you do not mind to walk 10 minutes for the metro. In no time you will be in the city. And with 15 min. walking at the beach. Its a no frill city hotel, not much to do in the hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by crazyit
Short overnight stay a couple of weeks ago, nice upgrade to a large suite on the 10th floor with a lateral view on the Sacrada Familia. .
When I was here in December, the gm told me the hotel did not offer a suite! Are you sure you were staying in the Four Points hotel? Or did you stay in the comfortroom, which is a cornerroom with more space?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jammanxc
this hotel is far from everything.. i suggest staying at the Le Meridien Barcelona Las Ramblas
Sure, but we're talking about a 32,000 point increase, which are points I don't really have
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:17 pm

Sure, but we're talking about a 32,000 point increase, which are points I don't really have
I completely agree with you. For the points, if you don't plan to stay in your hotel room very much the Four Points isn't a bad option. It just depends on the time of year you are going and what type of transportation needs you have.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: UA G
Anything to get upgraded to as a Gold at this property? Nights are 80 EUR, which seems like a good deal for BCN...
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
Anything to get upgraded to as a Gold at this property? Nights are 80 EUR, which seems like a good deal for BCN...
You mean fabulous deal in BCN, right? I think with its low prices it books pretty full, but if a comfort room is available I bet it would be yours. (No nicer upgrades/suites appear to be available).
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by funInSun
You mean fabulous deal in BCN, right? I think with its low prices it books pretty full, but if a comfort room is available I bet it would be yours. (No nicer upgrades/suites appear to be available).
Is it really that fabulous of a deal given how far it is from the Las Ramblas area?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
Is it really that fabulous of a deal given how far it is from the Las Ramblas area?
Sure, why not? I really just wanted to add my knowledge of the room types to the thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.