Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Birmingham - United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

New hotel; category 5.

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...el-birmingham/

"AC Hotel Birmingham lies at the heart of everything which makes Birmingham such an exciting city to visit. Its position in the regenerated Mailbox puts it strolling distance away from bespoke shopping opportunities, cutting edge wine bars, luxury restaurants and a vibrant business community. Landmarks within easy reach include the Bull Ring and the Grand Central shopping centers. The transport hub of New Street Station is on the doorstep and business travellers can take advantage of the proximity of the International Conference Centre."
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:41 pm

This hotel is listed as a Cat 4 (Not 5).

I had a stay here at the end of last year. The hotel is located next to the Mailbox - a high end shopping area. There are several restaurants and bars within a minute or 2 from the hotel entrance. There is a Tesco Express just next door. It is about a 10 minute walk to the restaurants (and bars) on Broad street. It is also a 10-15 minute walk to Birmingham New street station.

It it was my first stay at an AC hotel. Rates were similar to the Marriott but I considered location in my choice (plus wanted to try a new hotel). There are 2 room types a standard (deluxe) and a canal view (superior)room. The rooms seem to be the same size but the canal view rooms have Sky(satellite) TV. I stayed in a standard room. No upgrade (Plat) given.

The rooms are basic but new and nice. I particularly liked the abundance of USB ports- on all the power outlets. There is a small fridge (cooler) in the room. Bottled water was replaced the next day -left outside the door. I did not have breakfast. If I remember right the lifts appeared to be on the slow side. One of the lifts goes to the lower level were there is a key controlled entrance if you are returning to the hotel from its rear. The gym is also on the lower level. I had contact with 3 hotel staff - check-in, bar and in a lift. They were all quite pleasant interactions.

I used this hotel as a base for a quick turn around MR from BHX. I would certainly consider staying here again (over the Marriott and the Hilton options in the city).

Lobby

Bar

Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

When I started the thread, it was a Cat 5. Glad to hear it's a Cat 4 now. Thanks so much for the trip report & pictures. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Cat 5 in 2016 was 25k, Cat 4 now is 25k so it’s remained unchanged. And yes, nicely situated place it’s been refurbed and upgraded from the Ramada it once was. Part of the very fashionable Mailbox retail centre and various canalside restaurants it is just a scenic and safe 10 minute canal walk from the ICC and Symphony Hall...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’m staying here next week (rates are v. cheap right now) but I’m also looking at the Marriott for a separate stay.

I can’t seem to find any thread for the Marriott in Birmingham. Is it my lame search abilities or is there genuinely no thread at all?

I was also wondering what the lounge situation with the Marriott is. Obviously I can phone them but it’s always nice to get FT input too.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL, Marriott Bonvoy TfL
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I’m staying here next week (rates are v. cheap right now) but I’m also looking at the Marriott for a separate stay.

I can’t seem to find any thread for the Marriott in Birmingham. Is it my lame search abilities or is there genuinely no thread at all?

I was also wondering what the lounge situation with the Marriott is. Obviously I can phone them but it’s always nice to get FT input too.
Never was any lounge at BHX Marriott as far as I recall.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Steve74
No lounge at Birmingham Marriott.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Steve74
OK, that makes it easier! I’ll stick with the AC, which looks much better value.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, Marriott Bonvoy TfL
Originally Posted by yurtripper
OK, that makes it easier! I’ll stick with the AC, which looks much better value.
I like both of them tbh. Although, it's been a few years since I tried the AC, there must have been something that sent me back to the Marriott, despite the Marriott being further away from the office and more expensive. Certainly the breakfast spread was decent enough in both of them.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just had a couple of nights here. In many respects its a standard AC, but a couple of things that stood out

* really good staff - the front desk agent who checked me in saw me the following day, wanted to make sure I was happy with my stay and that all was good. I asked one of her colleagues about a Plat late check out and was bowled over by the desire to help - secured for 4pm, and they could do later if I really wanted. Friendly, professional helpful people. The GM has clearly got an eye for hiring and developing talent!
* There is a Black Sheep coffee shop adjoining the lobby. Simple things, but the ability to get a really decent coffee and sit in the hotel or my room really enhanced my day
* the only oddity was the AC/heating being held under central control. I had to call down twice to get my room controls released

Decent location, decent price, would stay again.
VSLover likes this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Apr 18, 2024 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
What was the noise like? On my last stay it was unbearable from late night / early morning clubbers and then restaurant or bar staff moving furniture for hours in the morning.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
What was the noise like? On my last stay it was unbearable from late night / early morning clubbers and then restaurant or bar staff moving furniture for hours in the morning.
I was there mid-week so no clubbing or party goers, and no disturbances. The non-canal view rooms at the back would be a better bet at weekends if/when the hotel suffers from external party noise.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
I was actually there mid week too. A Wednesday night but the windows or the walls/floors sounded paper thin. It was actually the dragging furniture early in the morning that really put me off as I was out until 1am or so myself.

Delta is really good in that regard proper walls and secondary glazing and not in the thick of the night life plus parking is much cheaper but obviously not in the thick of things it’s a bit of a trek/short taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.