Unable to Redeem Free Resort Nights?

 
Old Sep 22, 11, 1:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
Posts: 195
Unable to Redeem Free Resort Nights?

Hello,

I have three free resort nights from the recent promotion. I tried to book at a hotel and despite the fact that they have rooms available for sale on the website, I was told that they were unavailable for this promotion. Was this in the T&C's? What happened to the no blackout policy? Hoping to see if I have any way to get into the hotel that weekend....Thanks!
OAK AAFlier is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 1:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA, WN, SPG, HGP, FPC
Posts: 113
What property is it?
jschen is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 1:33 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by jschen View Post
What property is it?
St Regis Bahia Beach Resort in Puerto Rico
OAK AAFlier is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 1:35 pm
  #4  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier View Post
St Regis Bahia Beach Resort in Puerto Rico
There are probably no standard rooms available for your travel dates. I can check, but I would need to know what those dates are.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 1:51 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Capacity controls does not mean blackout dates. SPG is getting as bad as some of the other chains with their word-smithing. As long as they allow one guest to use the Free Resort Night cert, then it's not a blackout date.

Just as with other programs with limited usage, the longer you wait, the tougher it will be to use the cert. As I advise friends, burn those points/miles quickly, they will never be worth as much as they do now.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:01 pm
  #6  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Capacity controls does not mean blackout dates...
It would mean the same thing to SPG because neither is allowed in order to prevent redemption of Starpoints for a hotel stay...as long as there is a standard room available for sale, it can be had for an award.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:02 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
It would mean the same thing to SPG because neither is allowed in order to prevent redemption of Starpoints for a hotel stay...as long as there is a standard room available for sale, it can be had for an award.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Sorry, I am not aware of the different terms, I did not mean to confuse them. I was looking at the dates 10/28-10/31. Is there any way you or I can check if it is indeed available? Thank you!
OAK AAFlier is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:11 pm
  #8  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier View Post
Sorry, I am not aware of the different terms, I did not mean to confuse them. I was looking at the dates 10/28-10/31. Is there any way you or I can check if it is indeed available? Thank you!
The only room type available for awards on those dates are a King Deluxe and a 2-Queen Deluxe, which are on the property's SPG6S (Specialty) award rate plan. You can't use FRN's to book these, but they can be had by contacting the Customer Contact Center to use Starpoints.

The standard rooms on the SPG6 award rate plan, which would be the room types available for FRN, are a Superior King, a Superior 2-Queen, and an ADA Superior King, all of which are sold out for 10/28 - 10/31.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:14 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,038
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
The standard rooms on the SPG6 award rate plan, which would be the room types available for FRN, are a Superior King, a Superior 2-Queen, and an ADA Superior King, all of which are sold out for 10/28 - 10/31.
FWIW, the 2-Queen room is available for the last night in this span.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:18 pm
  #10  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
FWIW, the 2-Queen room is available for the last night in this span.
I was about to come back and edit my post to say that the next three-day period that a king or queen-bedded room type would be available using FRN at this property is October 31 - November 3.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:21 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
I was about to come back and edit my post to say that the next three-day period that a king or queen-bedded room type would be available using FRN at this property is October 31 - November 3.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Thank you both for the help. Will have to try a different weekend perhaps or more likely a different destination. Are there other similar hotels in the caribbean?
OAK AAFlier is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:21 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 137
There seems to have been a lot of problems with this promotion. I like the points one much better. With the economy weakening again, I have a feeling we will be seeing some better promotions very soon.
MDefl is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 2:26 pm
  #13  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier View Post
Thank you both for the help. Will have to try a different weekend perhaps or more likely a different destination. Are there other similar hotels in the caribbean?
No worries. I'll have to leave the final question to one of your peers.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 4:04 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,303
Just curious...on average, how many rooms in a hotel are considered standard vs non-standard? What's the ratio?
Jesperss is offline  
Old Sep 22, 11, 4:09 pm
  #15  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
Just curious...on average, how many rooms in a hotel are considered standard vs non-standard? What's the ratio?
This is a fairly impossible question to answer. It depends upon the property in question. Some have fewer standard rooms than others. Some don't have any standard rooms at all.

I anticipate the next question to be how many standard rooms at the St. Regis Bahia Beach, but we aren't going there.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: