Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to Redeem Free Resort Nights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I was able to use my FRNs at the resort I wanted on the days I wanted --- plus I was upgraded! GREAT promo IMO YMMV. ^
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
These threads come up all the time, from people who can't quite remember the ~20 relevant words of SPG's redemption policy, or be bothered to look up the policy.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer..._terms.html#12

It's in 9.2 for those who care to look; Lurker is called upon to cite policy time and time again.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
These threads come up all the time, from people who can't quite remember the ~20 relevant words of SPG's redemption policy, or be bothered to look up the policy.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer..._terms.html#12

It's in 9.2 for those who care to look; Lurker is called upon to cite policy time and time again.
Sorry that I wasted your precious time.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Let's see. So far I have redeemed at Sheraton Full Moon Resort, Le Meridien Nice, Le Meridien Monaco, Romanos, Arion, W Bali, St Regis Lhasa and few others.

All exactly on the dates I wanted. Only "problematic" was W Bali where I had to check for availability for few days before I got all the dates I wanted.

OP should just check daily for the availability.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Ramomatic
This is just a bad promo.
How is it any different when redeeming frequent flyer miles for flight awards. There are only so many first and business class award seats available on any given aircraft. Those of us who book early or "search diligently" will more likely travel in comfort while sipping Champagne. The rest will have to turn right upon boarding the aircraft and go towards the back...... way, way back....

The problem is that too many people who have earned free SPG resort nights want to redeem at certain St. Regis properties. People will whine that they can't redeem at Monarch Beach when in fact there is plenty of availability at the Sheraton Carlsbad less than an hour away down the road, which is an acceptable substitute for those who want a decent weekend getaway.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
The promo promised free resort nights but not necessarily free nights at the resort you wanted at the time you wanted. This would be true of almost any similar type of promo.

For instance, I booked three nights at the Turnberry Resort in Scotland for the end of August. I booked two months in advance, but when I got there, I was apparently in some sort of lull season because the resort clearly had plenty of rooms. If I'd wanted rooms in the middle of the summer, maybe I wouldn't have been so lucky.

Not just with this promo, but with any award redemption program, I've learned that advance preparation, a bit of flexibility, and an awareness that the Rolling Stones were right about not always getting what you want have served me well. In fact, you sometimes need those qualities even if you're willing to pay absolute top dollar for flights and hotels.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by MDefl
There seems to have been a lot of problems with this promotion. I like the points one much better. With the economy weakening again, I have a feeling we will be seeing some better promotions very soon.
That is if the downturn is not violent enough to take starwood with it. 2008 was close, will 2012 prove to be worse? Don't know but I sure would not hold multi million point balances in my account like I have in the past...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Lurker is called upon to cite policy time and time again.
Isn't that part of his job?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I also tried to find a place to use the free nights but due to timing & flight cost we decided to go later this year. The one reachable by car is nt available by end of this year.

Nevertheless, my question is, am I allowed to book for somebody else? Can I make a reservation for a friend or family? Even if they are not at SPG? Or is this not allowed?

THX
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
Originally Posted by fred8ab
I also tried to find a place to use the free nights but due to timing & flight cost we decided to go later this year. The one reachable by car is nt available by end of this year.

Nevertheless, my question is, am I allowed to book for somebody else? Can I make a reservation for a friend or family? Even if they are not at SPG? Or is this not allowed?

THX
I believe you can book more than one room per night, but you must be staying at the property as well. I don't think FRNs are transferable like regular awards...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Had no problem booking 5 nights using the certificates at the St Regis Monarch Beach for October... Booked it in late August...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: starwood plat 5*elite svo, usair, delta, jetblue, southwest, nwa
for my plan of action i booked 3 nights for a standard room at the st. regis in puerto rico using points and then when my FRN's got into my account, i called and tried to book them and was told that they were unavailable so i told them to use my standard nights i booked with my starpoints and they said only 1 night was available for the FNR not all 3, which did NOT make any sense to me because i had 3 nights using starpoints. I had to change my dates to get 3 nights together.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:31 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Wanted to check with folks here on the confirmations for these FRN bookings. I made a booking at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale using one of my 3 FRN awards. The agent confirmed that I'd be responsible for the resort charge (annoying but not unexpected). However, the confirmation e-mail lists a rate for the room of $75.04 + taxes in addition to the resort charge for an estimated stay total of $110.00 even. I assume that's an internal cost designation, as I can't imagine they'd charge me a $75 rate to use a free night but wanted to check.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dll
... the confirmation e-mail lists a rate for the room of $75.04 + taxes in addition to the resort charge for an estimated stay total of $110.00 even. I assume that's an internal cost designation, as I can't imagine they'd charge me a $75 rate to use a free night but wanted to check.
Yes, the $75.04 is the amount Starwood reimburses the hotel for the free night. You will only be responsible for the resort charge.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: aadvantage plt/2mm; Southwest A-pref'd; VA Gold; SPG PLT
I'm having the same problems - nothing avail anywhere on 11/18-20

I'm just not interested in wasting my Saturday on the phone trying to make this promo work. I cannot find any hotels with an available qualifying room, although per spg.com there are tons of non-suite rooms available.

Way to over promise and under deliver. Now I'm just pissed and mad at Starwood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.