Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Using Free Resort Nights in North America - Advice Needed as to where

Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways CP, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat

So I have a couple of the free resort nights available from the promotion earlier this year that I'll have to use before the end of December. I live in San Diego and I'd like to take a vacation using those nights somewhere that's not too far (Somewhere in the US or Carribean/Mexico). Also, I'd like to get the best value I can for those free nights, why not right? So I've been eyeing all the St Regis properties, but thought I'd ask some experts if they had any advice for great Starwood properties on that list (https://www.spgpromos.com/getawayfree/resorts.cfm) to spend a nice weekend that's not too far from Southern California. Does anyone have any advice here??? Thanks!!!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
Originally Posted by Yerrbo
So I have a couple of the free resort nights available from the promotion earlier this year that I'll have to use before the end of December. I live in San Diego and I'd like to take a vacation using those nights somewhere that's not too far (Somewhere in the US or Carribean/Mexico). Also, I'd like to get the best value I can for those free nights, why not right? So I've been eyeing all the St Regis properties, but thought I'd ask some experts if they had any advice for great Starwood properties on that list (https://www.spgpromos.com/getawayfree/resorts.cfm) to spend a nice weekend that's not too far from Southern California. Does anyone have any advice here??? Thanks!!!
all of them are great.
hawaii in my opinion.
use the search - there was a thread about it earlier
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I used mine at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas on Maui for two nights. It's a Cat 6 and the nightly rate for my room was $329/nt (base), so it was a pretty good value for my FRNs (absent landing a stay at one of the St. Regis').

Since I was staying over Labor Day weekend, the place was pretty full, so the check-in clerk couldn't find me a substantially improved room. She offered an "ocean view" room that was substantially removed from the ocean. While there wouldn't have been any human-built obstructions, it was a much lower floor and probably wouldn't have had a great view so I chose not to take it. I should have photos posted in the next day or so. EDIT: My photos are on my blog: http://traveling.to/2011/09/13/the-w...resort-villas/

If you turn down daily housekeeping (and take the reduced cleaning schedule of the timeshares), you'll get a certificate for their breakfast buffet.

Last edited by FlyerChrisK; Sep 13, 2011 at 9:30 pm Reason: Adding link to photos
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion; SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold
St Regis Monarch Beach was a fantastic experience and very close to you.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We enjoyed Westin Beaver Creek Mountain Villas quite a bit. They upgraded us to a huge one-bedroom villa. New development, very nice property overall. It's adjacent to a Westin hotel and we felt like both the hotel and the villas were at the high end of the Westin brand quality-wise.

We did it for a summer weekend...at this point, you might be able to book it for an early ski weekend. (There's also a St. Regis up in Aspen that had availability for our FRN dates but we decided to go with the villas instead.)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways CP, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jdk_74
St Regis Monarch Beach was a fantastic experience and very close to you.
We visit this frequently as it's an easy hour or so drive on a weekend for a short stay and I have to agree, the SRMB is amazing!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Haven't been there, but the St. Regis Punta Mita (sp?) in Mexico gets very good reviews. Maybe a 45 minute drive/taxi ride from Puerto Vallarta, I believe. I also vaguely recall that it might be the only Cat 7 property included in this promo.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:48 pm

Well, it is a bit of a flight from CA, but the best bang for the reward that I've used with SPG was for the St. Regis in Puerto Rico since the rooms during our stay would have otherwise been $1000/night all in. From where you are, I'd probably go with the St. Regis in Punta Mita - though I haven't been to the St. Regis there, I've been to the Four Seasons a couple times and loved it - I have to believe that the St. Regis is similar in quality (meaning well worth it!).
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
St. Regis Punta Mita

I used regular points at Punta Mita. Great resort where you are secluded from the world. I may go back.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Delta GM, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Family Traveler
Well, it is a bit of a flight from CA, but the best bang for the reward that I've used with SPG was for the St. Regis in Puerto Rico since the rooms during our stay would have otherwise been $1000/night all in. From where you are, I'd probably go with the St. Regis in Punta Mita - though I haven't been to the St. Regis there, I've been to the Four Seasons a couple times and loved it - I have to believe that the St. Regis is similar in quality (meaning well worth it!).
I'm going to be using mine at the St Regis in Puerto Rico as well.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: starwood plat 5*elite svo, usair, delta, jetblue, southwest, nwa
we used 3 nights at the ballantyne in charlotte, lovely property, 1 night coming up at the westin diplomat, gorgeous hotel, and the 3 nights at the st. regis in puerto rico.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Well, I live in SAN too and am using my FRN's at St Regis Princeville on Kauai. Arguably the best hotel view in the entire U.S. But weather conditions are very iffy (wet) at Princeville during winter months.

Otherwise, I would've used them at Royal Hawaiian (Honolulu), W South Beach (Miami), Phoenician Canyon Suites (Scottsdale), St Regis Aspen, St Regis Deer Valley, St Regis Bahia Beach (Puerto Rico) or St Regis Punta Mita (Mexico). Would also say St Regis Monarch Beach up in OC but have been there several times already
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hardfour
I'm going to be using mine at the St Regis in Puerto Rico as well.
I used my free nights there last year. It's a beautiful property (with some amazing suites), but if the reason you're headed there is perceived value (~$800 room per night) I'd look elsewhere. Everything is slower in Puerto Rico, nothing is walking distance from the resort (which could be a pro or con), costs for food & drink at the resort are astronomically high for the area and after the daily resort & parking fees, you'll still be paying almost $100 a day out-of-pocket.

Personally, I'd head to Le Meridien Cancun or Westin Diplomat (Ft. Lauderdale). They're both great hotels that offer great service & suites and have MUCH lower resort fees.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: CO Plat, PClub Plat, SPG Plat, 5*, Marriot Gold
Used mine at the W Ft Lauderdale. Nice upgrade to a Fantastic Suite on the 19th floor huge balcony direct view of the Atlantic. Only drawback is you have sunrises instead of sunsets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.