Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold

Hi FTers,
I am hoping to get your opinion on what would be considered adequate compensation for my recent experience at the W Atlanta Midtown.

I stayed at the property this past Saturday night, was upgraded to a Fantastic Suite and all was well. Spent the afternoon in the Bliss spa, had dinner at Spice Market etc. It was turning out to be a lovely Saturday afternoon.

I went to bed at 10 or so, and around 12midnight, I woke up to another guest standing over me in the bedroom! (Before going further, yes I should have used the latch thingy on the door -- I've learned my lesson) Anyway, I woke up startled as there were two women in the living room, and the man was in the bedroom trying to find a light because the living room light were burnt out.

Anyway, I got up, said "Excuse me!, I think you have the wrong room!" the two ladies in the living room rushed out and the gentleman apologized before leaving himself.

Bottom line is that they gave another guest keys to my room!!!!! Needless to say, I didn't sleep after that.

In my anxiety, I wrote a terse email to the GM and stopped by the front desk on my way out. I explained what had happened to the manager on duty and while he looked confused, he did agree to refund my stay. (I was staying on C&P so it was only $60). He didn't refund my points... Anyway, he said that he would receive the email to the GM and research and follow-up accordingly.

Late yesterday, I received a reply to my email to the GM from that manager, stating that he had research the issue and "taken corrective action with the talent member involved" and to contact him if I needed anything else.

I am very disappointed as I stay there at least twice a month, most often paying cash and I use their spa and eat in their restuarant every time. I am also a plat. (It's a weekend getaway for me). At this point I plan to move my business to the W Atlanta Downtown.

My question is do you think $60 is adequate compendation? What would you do/expect?

All ideas and comments are appreciated.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Having been on the opposite end of this mistake, i.e. being given a key to an already occupied room, I can say that the other group was probably as upset as you. That being said, no harm done so I'd take what they offered and remember to always use all the locks.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
I'd file a complaint to corporate customer service and request the points used for the reservation back.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by justspg
I'd file a complaint to corporate customer service and request the points used for the reservation back.
Why? The property has already offered to take care of it. Mistakes happen, take what was offered and move on.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have been on both sides of this, too. I say, no harm, no foul, you got a half-free stay at the W. Be happy and chalk it up as an amusing travel anecdote.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:37 am

I usually get really annoyed by these posts, however I think this one has merit to it. You deserve the points back as well.

Had you paid $200 out of pocket for the room you surely would have been refunded the entire $200, not just $60.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Thanks Guys for the feedback. I understand that it was a mistake, and I should've double locked my door as well, it just really freaked me out! I will request the points back and be done with it.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Mackieman
Why? The property has already offered to take care of it. Mistakes happen, take what was offered and move on.
This is a mistake that should NEVER happen. Plus the OP was never fully refunded. The points used for the points portion should be given back but only the cash portion was.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mackieman
In my anxiety, I wrote a terse email to the GM and stopped by the front desk on my way out. I explained what had happened to the manager on duty and while he looked confused, he did agree to refund my stay. (I was staying on C&P so it was only $60). He didn't refund my points... Anyway, he said that he would receive the email to the GM and research and follow-up accordingly.
Not sure where you get that the property offered to take care of it?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Both parties at fault here. They should fully refund you. OP should have locked the door.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:29 am

Agree that you should be fully refunded... maybe even some additional compensation over that since I'd view this as a security issue. Unfortunately hotels don't view C+P or award stays as "high value customer" so they are less motivated to make things right.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by gerald5
Agree that you should be fully refunded... maybe even some additional compensation over that since I'd view this as a security issue. Unfortunately hotels don't view C+P or award stays as "high value customer" so they are less motivated to make things right.
not really sure I believe that. Are you saying a plat who stays on a C + P stay or award stay is less valued than a plat paying on a revenue stay?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:40 am

The only thing the W Atlanta Midtown has going for it is location. (is that the hotel where a "model" fell out of a window?)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by gerald5
I don't know how true that is.

-If you're going to use C+P, obviously significant amount of $ was spent towards SPG properties. Otherwise you would not have the points to spend on a reduced rate.

At the end of the day, I think the customer deserves the points back and I would most certainly request it back as you would feel more comfortable in such action resulting in closure of the incident. I don't necessarily believe in "just take what they give you and move on".
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
Having been on the opposite end of this mistake, i.e. being given a key to an already occupied room, I can say that the other group was probably as upset as you. That being said, no harm done so I'd take what they offered and remember to always use all the locks.

Really? "as upset" ?

I find that a bit hard to believe. If I was sound asleep, in my typical non-attire, and found 3 strangers in my room, I'd feel at a SEVERE disadvantage. Count me as MORE upset than the unknowing intruders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.