Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uninvited guest had a key to my room / I was given a key to an occupied room

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Did they refund the cash portion?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17095296-post1.html
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I had this happen to my wife and I at the Hyatt in St. Louis. My wife was so freaked out that I wound up pushing a chair in front of the door after the other guest left. We complained and wound up receiving a certificate good for a free night at any Hyatt, which we used in Kauai. I felt that was very fair compensation.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
The GM seriously dropped the ball on this. If it were to become an actual news story, outside of FlyerTalk, it would definitely hurt business.

Points should be refunded obviously, two night stay also at a minimum. The response is terribly underwhelming.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:39 am

I wouldn't regard points plus cash to be a "compensation" request at all. I think of compensation as something extra given to deal with poor customer service.

To me, there are certain fundamental things you're buying with a hotel stay. That it doesn't have an amenity or you are inconvenienced or sustain a travel delay are not fundamental. Exclusive right to use the few hundred square feet you're renting, once given the keys, without privacy invasions from other members of the public, is fundamenal. It goes to the core of what you are paying for.

The cash and points are a refund for the failure to provide that fundamental service. I think a refund (or a one night reduction on a multiple night stay) is exactly that -- a refund. Compensation would be something more.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star
Uninvited Guest

I stayed at a Sheraton last week and had an uninvited guest enter my room at 12:30 (while i was sleeping) thinking it was his room. He went to the lobby and took care of everything, but needless to say I was not happy...Has this ever happened to anyone else and what kind of compensation did you receive?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by AndrewTravels
Has this ever happened to anyone else and what kind of compensation did you receive?
Welcome to FT.

It happens periodically. Happened to me once at the (now reflagged) Sheraton World in Orlando. As far as compensation it was the final straw for me and got me out of the rest of my reservation, and I moved to a different hotel. The Sheraton World was, easily, one of the worst hotels in the system while it was open and I was happy and relieved to move. (No direct compensation, but I wasn't harmed by the experience.)

Why has it happened to me only once? Because after it happens the first time you learn to use the dead-bolt. :-:
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:05 am

No-harm accidents don't leave me feeling like I deserve compensation. Stuff happens.

This sort of stuff happens once in a while. Sometimes I'm the guy looking in the door; sometimes I'm the guy in his underwear drinking a Vernors and watching reruns of Hee Haw.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
This happens all the time. A desk agent transposes a number when making a key, or the check in doesn't go all the way through when they think it does, etc.

The first thing I do now when I enter the room is put out the do not disturb and lock the deadbolt and the chain.

I've never asked for compensation for this.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
You guys are a lot nicer than I am. I should say up-front that I've never had this happen to me, so I have no skin in the game, but I'd be pissed it if did. First, it would scare the crap out of me if a stranger woke me in the middle of the night. Second, it shows lousy security controls at the hotel.

I understand that it was all fine in the end, but I still think the OP deserves some points for it. I'd say about 1/2 of a night's worth. I know that these things happen, but this is not a case of "the hotel forgot my water." The hotel compromised the OP's security.

But most important of all, the OP learned a lesson that most of us have learned the hard way at one time or another: Use the DND sign and bolt the door.

Mike
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Happened to me but I was on the other end, I went into a room where someone was there sleeping with his wife I guess, so I just returned to the front desk and changed the keys, Why don't people just lock the bolt?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star
I am surprised at how nice all of you are...my argument was I had a night of sleep disrupted so I should be compensated for the worth of a night at that hotel (in points). I received this without much difficulty. I think my argument and compensation was fair. The security issues involved could have easily prompted me to aim for more, but nothing happened so I decided not to freak out.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
I am surprised at how nice all of you are...my argument was I had a night of sleep disrupted so I should be compensated for the worth of a night at that hotel (in points). I received this without much difficulty. I think my argument and compensation was fair. The security issues involved could have easily prompted me to aim for more, but nothing happened so I decided not to freak out.
I've been on both sides of this (as recently as this past week) and I disagree with you. There were no security issues involved because it wasn't a break-in, it was a mistake. I don't think your argument is fair, quite frankly.

I appreciate that they were generous (and that's good on their part) but what was a very short disruption hardly seems like it ruined your night to the point of needing that sort of compensation.

This issue has been beaten to death here and elsewhere, but can't a hotel make an honest mistake without it being measured in points/dollars every time? I genuinely think that this is a long-term disincentive to better service because if the staff is afraid that they'll have to pay for every small mistake, they are disincented from reaching for better service.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
A drink at the bar or something like that would be nice (but not necessary).

We need to take responsibility for not locking the door.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by AlxStevens
I've been on both sides of this (as recently as this past week) and I disagree with you. There were no security issues involved because it wasn't a break-in, it was a mistake. I don't think your argument is fair, quite frankly.

I appreciate that they were generous (and that's good on their part) but what was a very short disruption hardly seems like it ruined your night to the point of needing that sort of compensation.

This issue has been beaten to death here and elsewhere, but can't a hotel make an honest mistake without it being measured in points/dollars every time? I genuinely think that this is a long-term disincentive to better service because if the staff is afraid that they'll have to pay for every small mistake, they are disincented from reaching for better service.
A hotel giving a random stranger a key to an occupied room isn't a security issue?

The reason this happens is because we tolerate it, so it's not worth the hotels (collectively) investing in the systems to fix it. There's no reason in this day and age that the key coding machine shouldn't be directly linked to the reservation computer, such that it can only be coded to the assigned room.

It's embarrassing for both people, and potentially dangerous -- imagine walking in on an someone escaping an abusive spouse who's fearing an an attack and prepared to legitimately defend him/herself. Sure, no harm in many cases, but it simply isn't something a hotel should ever allow to happen.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
my argument was I had a night of sleep disrupted so I should be compensated for the worth of a night at that hotel (in points). I received this without much difficulty.
At the end of the day, if you're satisfied with the outcome then that's all that matters.

But, since this is the internet, and it's fun to "argue" with strangers -- just curious, using your logic of sleep disruption, would you ask for the same compensation for a fire alarm (either real or automatic)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.