Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Get ready for SPG®’s newest promotion, SPG Triple Up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get ready for SPG®’s newest promotion, SPG Triple Up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Kind of reminds me of my earned award nights that I can't use because every hotel I prefer is excluded.

I guess I'm going to be staying through Friday now. My poor baby girl and wife!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Nights vs. Stays

It seems to me that both Hyatt and SPG are moving away from "stay" based promotions and focusing their efforts on either night or spend based.

SPG's promo rewards spend versus stays.

One Thursday or Sunday night stay at an expensive property will most likely be worth more points than 6 or 7 Monday-Thursday stays at a Four Points.

The last few Hyatt promos have all been night based and rewarding points.

Perhaps the days of gaming the system and hotel hopping are winding down.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by yosithezet
100% of the Brisbane properties are participating from what I can tell.

There are no SPG properties in Brisbane.

Last edited by psyflyer; Aug 29, 2011 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ariyo15
Am I the only one satisfied with this promo? Here's why... And while I can see most of you on here seem to be pretty unhappy, I'm sure I'm not the ooonnnnlllyyy one who meets some of these criteria below (which make this promo pretty good for me)

-I already qualified for plat (so I don't need extra night/stays)

-I don't have any more free time this year (so I wouldn't benefit from more free nights)

-I only have one stay - and it's only for one night - at a non-participating property (the Westin Grand, Frankfurt)

-I expect to have ~$3,000 in "eligible" spend over the course of the promo. As a plat member, using the SPG AMEX, that nets me nearly 30k Starpoints! ... am I going to be complaining about?

THANK YOU WILLIAM! I for one am grateful
Agreed - I only have one stay planned for Q4 which should net me close to 30K points as well. Fantastic!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by psyflyer
Correct me if I am wrong but I was just there and stayed at a sofitel in the CBD bcs lack of SPG.
Isnt the Sofitel the former Sheraton Brisbane ?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by mario33
Isnt the Sofitel the former Sheraton Brisbane ?
Could be, not sure. I have been going there for some time and seem to recall BNE did not have SPG properties. I maybe wrong as BNE usually is a day trip for me and try not to stay overnight.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I usually stay at the Westin Edina Galleria every week and since they are on the non participating list, I emailed the GM to let him know that as a fully participating starwood hotel, I expect them to participate in all starwood promos and not take for granted that we will always stay there if they dont. I requested they reconsider their stance but just to emphasis the point but in case they dont, I plan to stay at other hotels in the area (which I never did before) and tell them know so they can see the impact of non participation. My coworker might do the same. I doubt it will make any difference in their bottom line but I suggest others emails their frequent hotels that are non participating so that they will atleast think twice before opting out in the future.
We tried similiar tactics at a Westin that had a good chunk of plats. The problem was that many of the regulars were those from Accenture and the like who already had ridiculous rates. Many of them don't even eat at the hotel outside of the complimentary lounge where as I frequent room service and enjoy a night cap.

I would imagine you would have better luck if you actually pay something for your stays...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Isn't this what a lot of us want?
not at all....
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Add one vote of disappointment in the hopes that Starwood management monitors these threads and will reconsider or alter future strategy. The list of non-participating properties is almost unbelievable.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by gdemander
So the results are in:

In 2010, there were 165 non-participating hotels.
In 2011, there are 225 non-participating hotels.

Based on information from SC Flier in the 2010 promotion, there were:

I don't really know whether or not this is accurate as I am unaware of a way to go back in time and verify. If anyone knows, please let me know and I will update accordingly.

Using SC Flier's number, this results in a percentage of 16.08% not participating and 83.92% participating.

This year, there are 1082 total hotels, which means there are 857 participating.

So for 2011, there is a percentage of 20.8% not participating and 79.2% participating.

(The total number of hotels for 2010 based on SC Flier's data is 1026 versus 1082 for 2011, which seems off to me. If using 2011 total number of hotels, this would change the percentages to 15.25% and 84.75%, which is not a significant difference.)
A straight percentage of particpation isn't reflective as it assumes all properties are equal as a destination. Many of those not participating are the only properties available, (Sydney, SF, etc..) and properties that are highly frequented.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by CashN
A straight percentage of particpation isn't reflective as it assumes all properties are equal as a destination. Many of those not participating are the only properties available, (Sydney, SF, etc..) and properties that are highly frequented.
Okay, so do you want to go through and put in some numerical weight for each market with hotels not participating?

EDIT: And I actually do think it is reflective. It is reflective of the percentage of hotels not participating. It was never intended to reflect anything more than that. Just very simply, the number of hotels participating this year compared to last.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I had to check 3 times that the "list of non-participating properties" was actually that... This is a joke of a promo. My nights going to Hyatt and Hilton the rest of this year.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by couscous
I have the same complaint.. all the Starwood properties in Australia are on the list
Correction: Half of the Australian properties are on the list. All the Sydney properties are on the list.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Well I should be disappointed as 3 of my stays(in sydney)wont count for this promo.As well because of the Westin Auckland withdrawing from SPG I will fall short of requalifying Diamond.Was hoping for double stays/nights.
But-October,November is our major trip for the year.Plenty of other stays that will count.And for my mattress run Thursday nights are the cheapest at my local SPG property(noosa).
So I will get a motza of extra points and be happy with this promo.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Wow, so many of my regular hotels are on the non-participating list

Seems like most of the premier SPG hotels won't participate. Strange!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.