Tips for getting out of parking fees?

Old Aug 19, 11, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Tips for getting out of parking fees?

I have a reservation for next weekend at the Downtown Sheraton Denver, which is a great location for me. Only problem is they charge $24/day in parking fees, and we'll be there 3 days.

Does anyone have any tips for getting them to waive this fee?

FYI, I don't have any kind of status. I'm just your plain-old-joe Starwood member w/Starwood AMEX.
Old Aug 19, 11, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo View Post
The only way I know is it to park somewhere else.
Old Aug 19, 11, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Print out a bunch of Best Parking coupons in advance (site that works in many cities, such as bestparking.nyc.com). Rates you can get with them in garages can easily be 1/2 of the posted rates.
Old Aug 19, 11, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
There is a ton of street parking...everywhere we looked you werent allowed to park your car on the street for a few hours (ie 2 AM to 4 AM) for street cleaning...we checked out a few blocks, then used valet.

there are a few websites and apps that pull up city parking garages and lots you could peruse.

-good luck
Old Aug 19, 11, 11:17 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo View Post

FYI, I don't have any kind of status. I'm just your plain-old-joe Starwood member w/Starwood AMEX.
I've heard using the DYKWIA attitude works wonders.
Old Aug 19, 11, 11:29 am

Old Aug 19, 11, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Book the presidential suite and ask for a comp
Old Aug 19, 11, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

I'll use the FB AMEX $40 credit to offset most of the parking fees. Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 11, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I Hate having to pay for parking as much as paying tolls. And Ive pulled my share of things over the yrs but if a Hotel had it on its site that it charges for parking, or that a reasonable person should expect they do eg a Hotel in Manhattan. Then I wouldnt brow beat them to death to get out of it

Now if say theres a hotel nearby that doesnt then nothing wrong in calling the hotel and asking to CX the res and let them know its due to the parking fees. At times they said they will comp the parking, unlikely if the other hotel isnt close by. Otehr times they simply said its Cxed (of cause Im still within the no penalty time period)
Old Aug 19, 11, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
IMO many hotels know their guest will be passing on the parking charge to their employer and often charge nearly double the rate of nearby garages. If the rate were competitive I would use them more often for the convenience. I always take into consideration my total charges when booking. Many times I have booked other properties because of exorbitant parking charges. All my stays are on my own dime, either personal or through my small business. Many/most/all Starwood properties now show the parking charges on their web site. I welcome this disclosure rather than have surprises upon arrival.

Tonight I have a stay at a Sheraton that charges $17+ for parking and I will be parking on the street across from the hotel. That Sheraton's garage height limitation is too short for my vehicle so it is not possible even if I wanted to park there.

Also you are not supposed to receive Starpoints for the parking charge, although there have been times when I did.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 19, 11 at 10:58 pm
Old Aug 19, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT Marriott PLT HH DIA
Call the SPG Desk. Two times this year, the SPG agent volunteered to work with the property to remove the parking charges. Succeeded in one. Failed in another because a third party owns the parking.
Old Aug 19, 11, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Find a nearby garage.

Go there upon arrival and tell them you want an oil change, but will be gone for 3 days, and will pick up thereafter.

They will do the oil change and park you for free.

Should save you something.
Old Aug 19, 11, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I had a $56 BRG rate at the Sheraton MCO Downtown a couple of weeks ago. I called to inquire about parking and was told there was no self-park, and valet parking was $19/day. I said fine, cancel my reservation then. Front desk said they would waive the parking charge for me, on a $56 rate no less! ^

It seemed absurd to pay a parking fee that was 1/3 of my room rate, and not even earn points for it. Since I'm not on an expense account, these fees can really add up.
Old Aug 19, 11, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k View Post
Also in many cases you do not receive Starpoints for the parking charge.
Other than an error, when would you ever get points for parking? It's one of the things that's specifically called out in the program's T&Cs as not eligible for points.
Old Aug 19, 11, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; MB525 Build/3.4.2-107_JDN-9) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by craz
I Hate having to pay for parking as much as paying tolls. And Ive pulled my share of things over the yrs but if a Hotel had it on its site that it charges for parking, or that a reasonable person should expect they do eg a Hotel in Manhattan. Then I wouldnt brow beat them to death to get out of it

Now if say theres a hotel nearby that doesnt then nothing wrong in calling the hotel and asking to CX the res and let them know its due to the parking fees. At times they said they will comp the parking, unlikely if the other hotel isnt close by. Otehr times they simply said its Cxed (of cause Im still within the no penalty time period)
You do realize that asphalt (to builds roads and parking lots) is not free... Tolls and parking charges pay for just a small part of the cost of road infrastructure.

Hotels charge a lot for parking because they can. Those of us who don't park at hotels therefore do not need to pay for (very costly) garages that we don't use. A bit of research can usually come up with good nearby alternatives; they are often posted in the hotel specific threads here, or in the relevant local travel forums here on FT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: