Tips for getting out of parking fees?

Old Aug 19, 11, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Other than an error, when would you ever get points for parking? It's one of the things that's specifically called out in the program's T&Cs as not eligible for points.
I had forgotten about that rule as I rarely pay for hotel parking. So the times that I did get points were an error.

But you are quite right.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...spg_terms.html
...Eligible Charges do not include:
(d) other fees paid such as parking, business center, high-speed internet access, retail stores, spa products and services and greens fees;
Looking back on some old folios I see I have also received points for business center and high-speed internet access. Those errors will not come close to making up for the times that I did not get my 500 point Plat amenity on award/C&P stays. This is one thing I learned from FT the second year I was a Platinum. The parking fee is another YMMV or in this case YPMV. I am glad I took the time to find those years-old folios as I came across a lot of other travel receipts that are now headed for recycling. I am moving soon and it is less stuff to pack.

I will edit the post you quoted so as not to give people false hopes of points.

BTW, in that quoted post I said I had a stay at a Sheraton tonight. If anyone is wondering how I found those old files, the stay is a mattress run in a nearby property. My memory foam bed at home may not be heavenly, but it is more comfortable

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 19, 11 at 11:24 pm
Old Aug 19, 11, 11:15 pm

Hi -

First, Sundays will be free in DT Denver. And if you are leaving somewhat early Monday morning, just plug the meter for an hour or so

For the rest of the time, I have stayed there several times when they did not have an attendant during late night hours. So, you can try to leave the lot at 1AM and just go through the raised gate.

Failing that, I would use the discounted parking mentioned earlier as a backup.

Also, if you are flying in at a reasonable hour, the express bus from DIA will drop you within a few blocks for $11. If you are not going out of town every day, just rent a car downtown when you need one.
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:30 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k View Post
IMO many hotels know their guest will be passing on the parking charge to their employer and often charge nearly double the rate of nearby garages. If the rate were competitive I would use them more often for the convenience. I always take into consideration my total charges when booking. Many times I have booked other properties because of exorbitant parking charges. All my stays are on my own dime, either personal or through my small business. Many/most/all Starwood properties now show the parking charges on their web site. I welcome this disclosure rather than have surprises upon arrival.

Tonight I have a stay at a Sheraton that charges $17+ for parking and I will be parking on the street across from the hotel. That Sheraton's garage height limitation is too short for my vehicle so it is not possible even if I wanted to park there.

Also you are not supposed to receive Starpoints for the parking charge, although there have been times when I did.
that Popemobile is a real pain sometimes.
Old Aug 20, 11, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
that Popemobile is a real pain sometimes.
The hotel lets me park it here where there is high clearance. My driver has taken a vow of poverty so it costs me nothing. He stayed in it all night

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 20, 11 at 12:44 pm
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The Sheraton Gateway Atlanta has a system where you can press the button at the exit gate and they will buzz you on through. That's $9/day in savings on parking. I'm not sure if this trick will work elsewhere, of course... definitely not with valet parking.
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
surface lots around Sheraton DT denver charge between 6 to 12 dollars.
Old Aug 21, 11, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo View Post
I have a reservation for next weekend at the Downtown Sheraton Denver, which is a great location for me. Only problem is they charge $24/day in parking fees, and we'll be there 3 days.

Does anyone have any tips for getting them to waive this fee?

FYI, I don't have any kind of status. I'm just your plain-old-joe Starwood member w/Starwood AMEX.
I'm just curious at your motive, are you looking for "tricks" to avoid paying that yet park at the hotel or alternatives to the hotel? Do you feel you should be exempt from paying, even without status?

I also want to remind you that Starwood monitors these forums so any shady tricks posted will likely be shared with hotel management.
Old Aug 21, 11, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post

I also want to remind you that Starwood monitors these forums so any shady tricks posted will likely be shared with hotel management.
thats why i go with find a Hotel nearby that doesnt charge for parking or alot less, then CX the res by calling the Hotel, if they want your biz they will comp the parking or lower to match the other.

I dont suggest making it up as Im sure they all know who charges and who doesnt and how much if they do. Just be prepared for OK Mr/Ms ___ your res has been CXed
Old Aug 21, 11, 1:49 pm

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
I'm just curious at your motive, are you looking for "tricks" to avoid paying that yet park at the hotel or alternatives to the hotel? Do you feel you should be exempt from paying, even without status?

Take a steak knife from the restaurant

Insert said knife into right rear tire

Flatten said tire

Call front desk to tell them you drove over something in parking lot, and need them to let AAA in to fix it for you (make sure you have AAA and insurance on the car)

They'll waive your parking fees.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This offer is not guaranteed. Your mileage may vary. Operators are standing by until the furniture arrives. Not valid in Tennessee. Or Colorado.
Old Aug 21, 11, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by craz View Post
I Hate having to pay for parking as much as paying tolls. And Ive pulled my share of things over the yrs but if a Hotel had it on its site that it charges for parking, or that a reasonable person should expect they do eg a Hotel in Manhattan. Then I wouldnt brow beat them to death to get out of it

Now if say theres a hotel nearby that doesnt then nothing wrong in calling the hotel and asking to CX the res and let them know its due to the parking fees. At times they said they will comp the parking, unlikely if the other hotel isnt close by. Otehr times they simply said its Cxed (of cause Im still within the no penalty time period)
I hate when hotels have parking fees, though I've been to a few recently that waive the fee for all cars registered to a hotel guest. (Limit 1 car per guest, but up to 5 people/basic double room)
Old Aug 21, 11, 2:02 pm

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This offer is not guaranteed. Your mileage may vary. Operators are standing by until the furniture arrives. Not valid in Tennessee. Or Colorado.
And the person doing this may end up in jail when the hotel reviews the security camera footage. Do bail bondsmen have a frequent stayer program?

BTW, I know you are posting this because it is absurd, I hope.

And my Popemobile is still in the limo lot. Saved me a lot of money.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 1, 11 at 12:29 pm Reason: typos and spellin, no change of substance
Old Aug 21, 11, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
And the person doing this may end up in jail when the hotel reviews the security camera footage.
Is there a law against flattening your own tire?
Old Aug 21, 11, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Is there a law against flattening your own tire?
Take a steak knife from the restaurant

Insert said knife into right rear tire

Flatten said tire

Call front desk to tell them you drove over something in parking lot, and need them to let AAA in to fix it for you (make sure you have AAA and insurance on the car)
  • Stealing the knife, the poster did not state he returned it.
  • Intentional damage could/should be considered fraud by AAA.
  • Extorting the hotel to waive the parking fee

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 21, 11 at 3:17 pm
Old Aug 21, 11, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Intentional damage could/should be considered fraud by AAA.
AAA doesn't pay for tire repair, so I can't see where there would be fraud. They'll just come to help you replace the tire (or give you a tow), and that's what you pay them for. Your tire doesn't even have to be flat for that.
Old Aug 21, 11, 3:18 pm

While I try to get every point or dollar that I can reasonably get from frequent flyer/stayer program I abide by the Air Force Academy Honor Code principle that
"We Will Not Lie, Steal Or Cheat, Nor Tolerate Among Us Anyone Who Does"
I do not plan on any further comments about ethics in this thread. The above says it all and so much better than I ever could.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 21, 11 at 5:37 pm Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Search Engine: