Using Starwood employee rates

Old Jul 15, 11, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Using Starwood employee rates

Sorry if there is an existing thread on this, I searched and did not see anything.

I have a family member who recently took a job with *wood corporate. She booked a few stays for me. They are mostly deeply discounted rates, but the reservations are in my name and were made with my SPG Amex.

My question is will these stays count as qualifying stays towards elite status and will I get points?

One of the reservations is only about $50 less than the published rate, so if It's not going to count towards platinum and I'm not getting points I may just book the online rate instead.

I'm looking forward to my family member working many years at Starwood.

Last edited by PtsFreak; Aug 24, 11 at 6:51 pm
Old Jul 15, 11, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Nope, no stay credit or SPG credit. Enjoy the low rates but dont expect to be treated like a regular SPG member.

You will get the 2X points on your Amex card, however.

And you might want to be a little less garish on your $69 Starhot rate in Seattle - just bad form.
Old Jul 15, 11, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PtsFreak View Post
I'm looking forward to my family member working many years at Starwood.
Bye-Bye to your Platinum status, welcom to F&F!
Old Jul 15, 11, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mizzou miles View Post
And you might want to be a little less garish on your $69 Starhot rate in Seattle - just bad form.

What is garish about sharing info on the good rate I got?
Old Jul 16, 11, 1:19 am

You can get points on your incidentals, so make sure they still take your starwood number. You will still need to bring a letter to each hotel in order to get the discount. It's not like the ICH friends and family where you can just print off your own letter and get the discount.

Also, you will not be upgraded as a Gold under that rate. Though, you can probably pay to upgrade when you get to the hotel.
Old Jul 16, 11, 1:44 am
Original Poster

I guess I'll stick with the great rate in Seattle, but one or two of the others actually works out better booking myself. When I factor in getting points, qualifying stays, free breakfast with booking AAA rate and upgrade potential it's better to go the old fashioned way.

Also, from what i'm hearing it sounds like when you use the employee rate they make sure you get the worst room in the house. And while I'm doing everything on the level I don't like the idea of having to bring a letter with me. Gives me the feeling of bringing a signed note from my parents to the principals office after doing something bad in school.

Thanks for the info everyone!

btw, having recently found this site I want to say that this place is great. There is really a wealth of information on here.
Old Jul 16, 11, 2:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Thanks for the info everyone!

btw, having recently found this site I want to say that this place is great. There is really a wealth of information on here.
Welcome to FT, PtsFreak. This place is also a great community. I say that to respond to your question about - the reason your comment about the $69 rate comes across as bad form is that FlyerTalkers, by and large, are individuals who spend much of their lives traveling and who share a passion for maximizing the return on their investment into travel providers' loyalty programs. All that to say, your $69 F & F rate is simply irrelevant for most people on this forum, since it has nothing to do with brand loyalty, and but rather merely with affiliation.
Old Jul 16, 11, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, QF LTG

What is garish about sharing info on the good rate I got?
As platbrownguy said, had it been a rate which was widely available to the public, then there is no problem sharing it. As it's a rate which most people on here cannot access, it doesn't benefit the Flyertalk community per se, it's not really necessary to share. Some could (and have) interpret it as boasting.
Old Jul 16, 11, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Also, from what i'm hearing it sounds like when you use the employee rate they make sure you get the worst room in the house.
Sometimes. And then sometimes it goes the other way. Just be nice and chatty at check-in and see what happens.
Old Jul 17, 11, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inasmuchas View Post
As platbrownguy said, had it been a rate which was widely available to the public, then there is no problem sharing it. As it's a rate which most people on here cannot access, it doesn't benefit the Flyertalk community per se, it's not really necessary to share. Some could (and have) interpret it as boasting.
I thought people might be interested in what you can get with a F&F rate even if it's not available to the general public, but I see your point on how it could be seen as boasting.

Forgive me if I crossed any lines, I'm still a newbie here.
Old Jul 17, 11, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
I'm happy to know what kind of rates folks get on the "family" rate, even though I"m not eligible.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 17, 11, 9:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
I'm happy to know what kind of rates folks get on the "family" rate, even though I"m not eligible.

Thanks for posting.
With you on this. It kind of gives you the lowest rate that you could realistically expect at the same relevant time. I don't think it's boasting because the OP clearly identified him(her)self as a beneficiary of an employee rate. Figure any employee rate given is the lowest you're likely to see short of being a totally big roller in Vegas where they comp to those guys who bet tons. It's just not realistic to expect you'll get all the SPG benefits for such a cheap room. To me, the cheap room is its own bennie.
Old Jul 17, 11, 11:09 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

Thanks for posting.

+1....
Old Jul 18, 11, 5:43 am

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/promo...RFND,RC:BARRTE

Starhot = Close family rate

Starfriend = Extended family and friends rate

You'll find that in the states the starhot rate is close to the cash and points price minus the points. That is usually the case for cat 5 and lower hotels. It usually comes with up to a 50% discount on all food at the hotel.
Old Jul 18, 11, 9:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite

Thanks for posting.
Ditto. Thanks for posting and welcome to FlyerTalk.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: