Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Stamford, CT (at 700 E Main St), Opened Jul 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:57 am
Original Poster

The existing Holiday Inn will become a Sheraton this week. I guess since *wood corporate HQ is moving to Stamford they need a property in the area. Not sure how this hotel is going to fare since the largest employer in town, UBS, is closing down their USA HQ in Stamford and moving operations back to NYC.

Anyway, I booked a room for this coming Saturday (need a few more stays for platinum ) and I will give a review next week.

Reservation is for a traditional room w/ AAA rate (includes full breakfast for 2) $98.05

I looked at mid-week prices and they seem absurdly over inflated ($235 and up). The Hyatt Regency in Greenwich has cheaper rates. Someone form *wood may want to check that out or face tumbleweeds blowing through the lobby.

Last edited by PtsFreak; Jul 10, 2011 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nice. Excited to have a decent Starwood in FF County, even I'll never stay there as I live 5 min away
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nice. Excited to have a decent Starwood in FF County, even I'll never stay there as I live 5 min away
I live less than 5 mins away, but I need the stays for more FRN's and Platinum status.

I also want to make sure the property is acceptable enough for those certain friends & relatives that come to visit who I don't want staying in my home.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

The Property opened on Tuesday. On Monday it was still a Holiday Inn. When I drove by on Tuesday morning they had big white tarps covering all the HI signage, so it appears as if this property did not have any renovations done as it was not closed for even a day.

You would think they would want to freshen up the property considering it's going to be located less than 5 minutes from the new Starwood corporate HQ. Seems very odd.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PtsFreak
The Property opened on Tuesday. On Monday it was still a Holiday Inn. When I drove by on Tuesday morning they had big white tarps covering all the HI signage, so it appears as if this property did not have any renovations done as it was not closed for even a day.

You would think they would want to freshen up the property considering it's going to be located less than 5 minutes from the new Starwood corporate HQ. Seems very odd.
Remember seeing this article a couple years ago - seems like it already got a pretty decent makeover recently enough

http://www.time.com/time/travel/arti...927246,00.html
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I checked in last night but didn't get past the front desk. The front desk agent was far from friendly and while I was waiting for her to check me in I noticed a rather seedy element at the bar.

The clerk asked me if I had a car and informed me that the fee for the garage would be $10 a night. At that point I made the decision to just take my room key and go home.

Sorry I don't have more of a review, but I'm not paying a parking fee in Stamford, esp. for a mattress run.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked in last night but didn't get past the front desk. The front desk agent was far from friendly and while I was waiting for her to check me in I noticed a rather seedy element at the bar.

The clerk asked me if I had a car and informed me that the fee for the garage would be $10 a night. At that point I made the decision to just take my room key and go home.

Sorry I don't have more of a review, but I'm not paying a parking fee in Stamford, esp. for a mattress run.
You're a local - plenty of metered (i.e., free) parking around there!

I drove past it yesterday - saw the big Sheraton crest on the E side of the building, looks like it hadn't been painted yet though.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You're a local - plenty of metered (i.e., free) parking around there!
My bed at home is much more comfortable than the Sweet Sleeper.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

One additional note on the new Sheraton Stamford.

I asked at check in for my folio to be emailed to me. I did not receive anything today. Called the property an hour ago. Put on hold for 6+ minutes, asked for an email ASAP, agent said she was sending it while we were on the phone. Still nothing.

I know these are ex Holiday Inn employees who have switched over to new *wood systems, but better pre opening training would be nice.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Still waiting for my folio to be emailed. Total incompetence at this property. I called 15 minutes ago and asked for the front desk manager. The rude desk agent told me that he was busy and I would have to call back later

How about "I am sorry sir he is currently unavailable, would you like to leave your phone number and I will have him call you as soon as he is free"
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still waiting for my folio to be emailed. Total incompetence at this property. I called 15 minutes ago and asked for the front desk manager. The rude desk agent told me that he was busy and I would have to call back later

How about "I am sorry sir he is currently unavailable, would you like to leave your phone number and I will have him call you as soon as he is free"
I'd use the Online Chat feature and put SPG on the case, they can be helpful in this regard
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: United 2 million lifetime Marriott Titanium LiCo Plat Hertz Plat spg plat former Co Chairmans Circle
There was a renovation

There was an extensive renovation and the old furniture was sent to another one of the owner's properties. The beds were only two years old and Starwood made the property remove them and replace with sheraton sweet sleepers...kudos...and maybe someday we can get a Starwood property in New haven
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:41 pm

PtsFreak - thank you for your comments and sparking this post. Yes, we are up and running as the new Sheraton Stamford as of last Tuesday, 7/12, with completing another multi-million dollar renovation. To help assist with a few of your questions and concerns:

You will certainly notice our rates are more fitting with the rest of the competitive set - you shouldn't find us too far out of place from the other big chains here in Stamford, but certainly higher than they were before our renovation and re-branding.

We actually charge less for parking than some of the other hotels in the area - we do charge $10 for overnight parking and that was even the same as a Holiday Inn.

There is no excuse for receiving any rudeness and not receiving a folio and I do sincerely apologize. Please send me a private message with your contact information and I will be sure to get your folio to you promptly.

Best Regards
-The New Sheraton Stamford Hotel
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT SheratonStamfordHotel! Always great to have property participation on FT.

While I likely won't stay at the property anytime soon (as I live 5 minutes away), I look forward to dropping in and checking it out soon.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Cheers to the management at the Stamford Sheraton for showing their concern and rectifying the issues that I experienced this past weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.