Royal Hawaiian vs. Moana Surfrider

Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Royal Hawaiian vs. Moana Surfrider

Hey everyone,

I am going to Honolulu for four days over labor day and need some feedback on my hotel choice, I did not see a comparison of only these specific two in another forum. Anyone who has insight please help (see below). Is RY that much better than moana? Are the food/misc expenses at RY much more? I am platinum SPg. Also any thoughts on a 7 day trip - 4 in Honolulu and 3 at St Regis princeville or reverse it? Thanks!

Moana:
Paid rate about 220/night or 90+ 4800 pts
Resort fee 20-free web, parking
Beach chair fee 20-per chair or per pair?
Free breakfast for plats

RY:
Cash and points 150 + 8000 pts
Resort fee same as above
Free beach chairs
Lunch for one each day for plats
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by 62asr

RY:

Where did you see that benefit?

-David
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Called the property, I assume that is its "extra since Internet already included" benefit.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 62asr
Hey everyone,

I am going to Honolulu for four days over labor day and need some feedback on my hotel choice, I did not see a comparison of only these specific two in another forum. Anyone who has insight please help (see below). Is RY that much better than moana? Are the food/misc expenses at RY much more? I am platinum SPg. Also any thoughts on a 7 day trip - 4 in Honolulu and 3 at St Regis princeville or reverse it? Thanks!

Moana:
Paid rate about 220/night or 90+ 4800 pts
Resort fee 20-free web, parking
Beach chair fee 20-per chair or per pair?
Free breakfast for plats

RY:
Cash and points 150 + 8000 pts
Resort fee same as above
Free beach chairs
You haven't really said what is important to you.

If it is the pool, or beachfront chairs - then the only good choice is the Royal Hawaiian. It has its own private pool, a lot of oceanfront comfortable chairs on the beach (free to guests), and you can use the "superpool" shared with the Sheraton Waikiki.

You can charge drinks/food at any of the Starwood properties back to your room wherever you stay.

I wouldn't worry about misc fees/food at the Royal - dozens of food options walking distance, it is the heart of Waikiki.

You didn't mention it, but I actually prefer the Sheraton Waikiki - one of the best lounges in the system (but pay for alcohol) and has the most suites, so usually the best upgrade chance.

As far as 3 or 4 days on Waikiki vs Princeville - the islands and properties aren't comparable. Princeville is a true high end luxury resort and you need a car to get around. It's fantastic. Waikiki is a somewhat crowded beach in a large city. Depends on do you want the action/nitelife - or a more resort like experience?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: American Plat, Starwood Plat
I stayed at both the Westin Moana Surfrider and the Princeville resort last year - I believe I posted trip reports for both in the respective hotel threads. My trip was before the recent resort fee stuff.

I paid for a suite at the surfrider (had a small child and I needed the space). I used points to get a suite at the princeville.

Personally, the princeville resort is where I would go back. I had a butler! I have a family with little interest in nightlife, and I found Honolulu to be nice for a few things but generally not my bag. The Westin itself was fine (though the pool is very small).

I have not stayed at the Royal Hawaiian.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Toss Up

I've stayed at all 3 (Moana, Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton). The Moana has a lovely lobby, and I was given a suite -- but it overlooked the huge Banyan Tree and bar area, so was noisy and could barely see the ocean. The beach there is very small (surf laps right up to the hotel).

Royal Hawaiian -- I had a very small room, as far as possible away from the beach. It was a VERY long walk to get to the lobby/beach. Public areas very nice, but it all felt a bit too geared for Seniors and Old-Money crowd.

Sheraton -- right next door to Royal Hawaiian. Huge property, always busy, but upstairs at the room levels it was nice and quiet. Got an amazing suite upgrade....2 balconies, huge living room, and the most amazing view of Diamond Head. Gorgeous pools, great beach area. If the price is right I'd stay there and hope for the upgrade!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: American Plat, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by smat
I've stayed at all 3 (Moana, Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton). The Moana has a lovely lobby, and I was given a suite -- but it overlooked the huge Banyan Tree and bar area, so was noisy and could barely see the ocean. The beach there is very small (surf laps right up to the hotel).

Royal Hawaiian -- I had a very small room, as far as possible away from the beach. It was a VERY long walk to get to the lobby/beach. Public areas very nice, but it all felt a bit too geared for Seniors and Old-Money crowd.

Sheraton -- right next door to Royal Hawaiian. Huge property, always busy, but upstairs at the room levels it was nice and quiet. Got an amazing suite upgrade....2 balconies, huge living room, and the most amazing view of Diamond Head. Gorgeous pools, great beach area. If the price is right I'd stay there and hope for the upgrade!
I think the Moana is now a Westin, though maps.bing.com still shows it as a Sheraton - both areas seemed to be Westin (tower + main hotel) when I visited last year, but perhaps I was not paying attention. I will add that while I liked the princeville, the entryway and buffet area at the moana surfrider hotel is one of the prettiest places I have ever been. If I become independently wealthy and need inspiration for my house in Hawaii, I will start with the Moana first floor deck area for sure. Its porch was spectactular.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
I have stayed at the Moana multiple times and the Sheraton Waikiki once. The Royal Hawaiin, I have walked through but not stayed at.
The Moana has geniune old time charm as does the Royal Hawaiin. The Sheraton really could be anywhere, there is nothing distinctive about it's architecture.
The one bedroom ocean front suites in the tower at the Moana are modern and outstanding. Some of the ocean front rooms in the historic room are unbelievably lovely, though often tiny. Other rooms over looking the courtyard are to be avoided-- one suite I looked at in the Diamond wing had a must smell to it. The public areas are really beautiful. The location is wonderful. At this property, I think it really comes down to getting the right room. On our last stay, I actually took keys to 4 different rooms before settling on one (I did this a pretty slow time at the desk and had no problem with the desk staff). There is no longer any real gold upgrade at the moana- you DO NOT want the standard award room! Don't pick this hotel unless you are platinum and/or willing to pay to upgrade (point upgrades have not been avialable on our last two trips).

The Sheraton Waikiki gave us much better upgrades as golds and allowed point upgrades to ocean front, but the hotel is huge and very conventiony feeling. The pool is very nice-- but I didn't fly 9 hours for the pool, I spend my swim time in the ocean.
At either hotel, 3 days in Waikiki is probably enough. Get a rental car-- drive around the island and explore outside of the waikiki area.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:48 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
The Royal is MILES better than the Moana!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
I have stayed at the Moana multiple times and the Sheraton Waikiki once. The Royal Hawaiin, I have walked through but not stayed at.
The Moana has geniune old time charm as does the Royal Hawaiin. The Sheraton really could be anywhere, there is nothing distinctive about it's architecture.
The one bedroom ocean front suites in the tower at the Moana are modern and outstanding. Some of the ocean front rooms in the historic room are unbelievably lovely, though often tiny. Other rooms over looking the courtyard are to be avoided-- one suite I looked at in the Diamond wing had a must smell to it. The public areas are really beautiful. The location is wonderful. At this property, I think it really comes down to getting the right room. On our last stay, I actually took keys to 4 different rooms before settling on one (I did this a pretty slow time at the desk and had no problem with the desk staff). There is no longer any real gold upgrade at the moana- you DO NOT want the standard award room! Don't pick this hotel unless you are platinum and/or willing to pay to upgrade (point upgrades have not been avialable on our last two trips).

The Sheraton Waikiki gave us much better upgrades as golds and allowed point upgrades to ocean front, but the hotel is huge and very conventiony feeling. The pool is very nice-- but I didn't fly 9 hours for the pool, I spend my swim time in the ocean.
At either hotel, 3 days in Waikiki is probably enough. Get a rental car-- drive around the island and explore outside of the waikiki area.
I agree with the overall sentiment - which is why it came down to the Moana vs. the Royal Hawaiian for my honeymoon last fall.

We ended up choosing the Moana, mostly because the step up from a Cat 5 to a Cat 6 is a big one for what seemed to be mostly a matter of taste between the Moana and the RH. Can't speak to the RH, but the Moana was AWESOME, and we hope to return soon.

We saved the extra points and our splurge was on the St. Regis in Princeville - it was easily the most amazing hotel either of us have ever stayed in, and I would HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra time there (as opposed to Waikiki).

Oh, and since there was some confusion above - the Moana is most certainly a WESTIN now.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:24 pm

The Royal Hawaiian has a more formal country club atmosphere. The chances of a room with balcony are slim and even the old fashioned windows don't give advantage to the views. The Moana has that old fashioned elegance but not so formal and the modern addition rooms are spacious. The standard Moana rooms in the original hotel are small and the baths tiny, although nicely appointed, so if that's your alternative consider that the Sheraton is actually right next door to the Royal Hawaiian sharing the same beach and just a pleasant stroll down the beach to the Moana. The Sheraton's newly remodeled, it's easy to get a spacious balcony room with a view all the way down Waikiki to Diamond Head, it's easy to upgrade to an amazing suite with points. Just walk over and eat breakfast at RH and have your afternoon drinks on the Moana's rear veranda. The Friday night seafood buffet at RH is great, and the Japanese breakfast along with a lavish selection of American fare makes the Moana breakfast buffet interesting and fun.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:53 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I live in 10 minutes away from those hotels.
I feel the royal is no much better than Moana in terms of upgrade/view/services.
They could not renovate as it was planned originally.
I never heard of the free lunch at Royal.

If you use points, I prefer to spend points at Moana.

Sheraton has a better chance to upgrade to suites or oceanfront view since there are so many rooms facing the ocean and you can access to the hano hano club lounge.
I know it is busy and crowded, but how long do you stay in lobby area?
Even sheraton shares the pool with Royal so enjoy drinks at Moana or Royal and sleep in suite with oceanview at Sheraton.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:43 am

Royal Hawaiian versus Moana versus Sheraton

I have stayed at all three, and each one has its advantages.

Royal Hawaiian has the classiest common areas, very quiet and relaxing. Though some may say too formal, I like the more exclusive feel when you want to escape the excitement/frenetic quality of Waikiki. The rooms are very nice, but, as mentioned above, most don't offer balconies or have the same oceanfront views as the other two.

The Moana has pleasant common areas though you still get a fair amount of traffic - hotel guests, other visitors and what always seems like lots of weddings to me (perhaps just my own impression). I believe the historical wings offer a more interesting interior but was rather impressed with the one bedroom suite with two balconies we received in the new wing. We were able to check out the eye-candy at Duke's from the one balcony and look more directly out to the ocean from the other. I don't recall the noise being an issue.

I really don't care for the general feel of the Sheraton Waikiki as much. I always feel like I'm walking through the MGM Grand in Vegas, though the cigarette smoke and cacophony of the slot machines is indeed missing. Tour groups are everywhere, and it generally seems very busy and crowded. The hotel just isn't as tasteful as the other too. I will say, however, that the views from the rooms can be pretty amazing. I've stayed in standard oceanfronts (great view but quite small), one bedroom suites (same view and bigger of course) and a corner junior suite/family suite. This last category is my favorite...one big open room with amazing diamond head and ocean views. I believe the room - stay in question was more than 10 years ago - had two regular queen beds, a Murphy bed and a fold out couch! I would recommend this one over the one bedroom suite. Maybe someone else can advise if they still have this configuration.

So, if you can get a one bedroom suite in the new tower at the Moana, I would probably go for that. Otherwise, if you don't mind the craziness and less-sophisticated vibe at the Waikiki, decent upgrades are frequently available there. Room furnishings and appointments are best at the RH, decent at the Moana and pretty basic and boring at the Sheraton.

Hope my ramblings help!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Stayed at the Moana in Feb for a few days. Very dissapointed.The lobby has a very nice atmosphere to it, but to me, it ends there. Pool area is not the prettiest i have ever seen. The rooms are ok, and i mean the newer ones. Although you would be better off in a suite as i found my room rather small. I am only a gold and got no upgrade. It can be very noisy, and most of all, i don't think the staff are up to par. They only serve one brand of chardonnay at the bar area, and it's not even drinkable, of course, i know not everyone drinks chardonnay haha.

The Royal Hawaiian is a bit different, only stayed there 1 night, definately a more formal feel. Now if it's a toss up between the two, i'd go for the RH.

There is also the Sheraton as others have suggested. Newer, and the rooms not as exotic looking, definately more modern. The pool area is nicer than the Moana. It just doesn't have that island feel to it like the other two.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:04 pm

Yes, the Sheraton is lacking that charm and character you get at the Moana and the RH and I'd rather stay at the Moana, first choice. We only stay in Honolulu a couple of nights at the end after Maui or Kaui, where the larger room with the balcony and view matters for the longer stay. I don't mind a standard small room at Moana for just a couple of nights, not for just us two.
If family was along, I'd have to go Sheraton to upgrade to the size room or suite we need using points. Not being Platinum, these are the better alternatives for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.