Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Royal Hawaiian vs. Moana Surfrider

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1M, AA Gold 1M
Moana Surfrider versus Royal Hawaiian

I have stayed at both properties (multiple times at the Moana Surfrider). I love both properties. I have gotten upgrades at the Surfrider for shorter stays (one or two days), but I didn't get an upgrade on a week-long stay at RH. Even then, I would have to say I prefer the Royal Hawaiian over the Moana Surfrider.

Both have old world charm. However, as you enter the property at RH, the lush, old trees provide a sense of serene calm that is in stark contrast to the craziness of Kalakaua Avenue. I feel like I can truly relax at RH. It may be my imagination, but I feel like the surroundings make you want to talk with your indoor voice at RH more compared to Surfrider. I do think the higher cost of RH generally attracts higher end guests as well. The free beach chairs at RH is another plus.

The Sheraton is by far the craziest of the three Starwood property on Waikiki beach front. When I stayed at RH last October, we used the RH pool often. We also took the toddlers over to the Sheraton pool (directly adjacent) for the water slides. At that time, approximately 3/4 of guests staying at Sheraton were Japanese; things may be slightly different now.

As others have commented, you can charge food and beverage at any Starwood hotel in Waikiki to your room.

Just as an idea, why not spend two days at RH and two days at MS so that you can compare yourself. You probably would increase your chance of getting an upgrade as well.

Last comment on the free lunch: I have been very annoyed with the resort fees. When I stayed at the RH, I was offered free breakfast and lunch for kids with paying adult since I'm Plat. This only worked for the restaurant by the pool. We didn't get much benefit from this.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by schubert
I have stayed at both properties (multiple times at the Moana Surfrider). I love both properties. I have gotten upgrades at the Surfrider for shorter stays (one or two days), but I didn't get an upgrade on a week-long stay at RH. Even then, I would have to say I prefer the Royal Hawaiian over the Moana Surfrider.

Both have old world charm. However, as you enter the property at RH, the lush, old trees provide a sense of serene calm that is in stark contrast to the craziness of Kalakaua Avenue. I feel like I can truly relax at RH. It may be my imagination, but I feel like the surroundings make you want to talk with your indoor voice at RH more compared to Surfrider. I do think the higher cost of RH generally attracts higher end guests as well. The free beach chairs at RH is another plus.

The Sheraton is by far the craziest of the three Starwood property on Waikiki beach front. When I stayed at RH last October, we used the RH pool often. We also took the toddlers over to the Sheraton pool (directly adjacent) for the water slides. At that time, approximately 3/4 of guests staying at Sheraton were Japanese; things may be slightly different now.

As others have commented, you can charge food and beverage at any Starwood hotel in Waikiki to your room.

Just as an idea, why not spend two days at RH and two days at MS so that you can compare yourself. You probably would increase your chance of getting an upgrade as well.

Last comment on the free lunch: I have been very annoyed with the resort fees. When I stayed at the RH, I was offered free breakfast and lunch for kids with paying adult since I'm Plat. This only worked for the restaurant by the pool. We didn't get much benefit from this.
We just did exactly that -- we had a 5 night paid stay at the Moana, followed by a 3 night FRN stay at the RH, during Thanksgiving week.

Comparisons:

Platinum upgrades: Moana upgraded my booked tower oceanview room to a tower suite. Royal Hawaiian upgraded the FRN lowest class garden room to a tower ocean view room, which was fairly generous. The suite upgrade at the Moana wins. But keep in mind that you can't count on an upgrade, and if you're getting a room with points there's a chance you could wind up in a city view room at the Moana.

Beach: Better at the Royal for sure. Beach chairs are free at RH, not at Moana. And chairs at the beach and pool are spaced farther apart at the Royal, you don't feel so cramped.

Pool situation: The Moana pool is bigger than the Royal's private pool, but ice cold. The Royal's pool is just slightly warmer, but so small that it's more like a big plunge pool. If you want to swim any distance in a pool at the Royal, the playground pool (shared by Sheraton) would work. It really didn't seem THAT crowded, even though it was Thanksgiving week! There were kids but not that many.

(All the Starwood pools could use warmer water IMHO. The Halekulani goes the other way -- really warm.)

Ambience: Schubert is absolutely right; the Royal feels quiet, elegant, luxurious, even during a busy holiday week. The Moana is busy busy busy! Nonstop weddings and lots of looky-loos from the street coming into the public areas. If you like to people watch it's the Moana for sure. If you like things low-key and more relaxing, the Royal wins.

I haven't actually stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki so I can't compare. It feels more like a Vegas hotel rather than a Hawaiian resort but for families with kids it may offer a good compromise of affordability, platinum upgrade and a big play pool.

Bottom line, I enjoy the Moana, and the suite upgrade (I've gotten it twice) is spectacular. But after my first stay there, I sure like the relaxing vibe at the Royal. I wouldn't mind going back to both to try to decide which I prefer.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
The RH has this 'air' about the property that makes it feel so much more relaxing, inviting, warm & romantic, so if it's a couples vacation or a special one, then head straight there. Even though its smack bang in the middle of Waikiki Beach I felt like a million miles away from the city. ^ I really enjoyed the rooms at the RH - once upgraded to a junior garden suite and the other time an oceanfront room. I'll take the tower rooms over the suite though the suite did feel extremely comfortable.

That said, the MS is also very nice if one gets a tower ocean front suite (I've been 3 from 3) however it feels like just another very good Westin built onto the sands of Waikiki. The hotel charging guests to use the beach chairs is highly disappointing
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
A friend of mine got an ocean front suite high up at the Sheraton Waikiki (we were poor that year so we had a parking lot view room at the time), and we spent the whole time in their room looking down at the turtles swimming in the bay.

Though I'd love to stay at the RH (not so crazy about MS), I think my next stay would be at the Sheraton in an ocean front room (though likely not a suite).
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Can someone help me make a decision. I have 10 FRN to use Dec 11-21. I'm going to Hawaii but my itinerary stops there. I was thinking of 5-7 nights in Waikiki and 3-5 in Maui. I'm also open to Princeville BUT I WILL NOT HAVE A CAR! So please keep that in mind and tell me if you think Princeville without a car would be the least bit enjoyable.

I've been to Hawaii many times so I know the ropes on what to see and where these hotels are. What I'm interested in are the following:

1. A room with a view and a balcony -- Yes it sounds petty, but I love grabbing takeout and eating on my balcony. It's something I grew to love in my many times at the Hyatt Waikiki. Plus, when you're alone (as I will be), it saves those pity looks from people who gasp! can't imagine dining alone. I personally enjoy traveling alone because it lets me and only me control the itinerary, but that's not the subject here.
2. A suite is nice but not necessary. I am more concerned with a comfortable room and a great bed. January starts my busy season so this is more of a restful vacation.
3. Things like pools don't matter to me. I'm fair and will burn with too much exposure. Plus, I live in California on the coast so I know what the Pacific looks like. I will spend a max of 2 days at the beach. I love looking at the beach, but the sun at the beach doesn't love me!
4. Whales -- I love them. Enough said! That's why I was considering Maui, but if the whales are out on the North shore of Kauai, I'm open to going there as long as I won't end up bored (and broke lol) from being confined to the resort.

I've only been to Kauai once. It was at the Hyatt in South Kauai. I was bored out of my mind. I felt like the crowd was older and it was more a romantic feel. I'd be interested in going back but am not sure if it is a good idea without a car. Any insight would be appreciated.

So with all that in mind, which would you prefer? In Waikiki is my best bet the MS, RH or Sheraton.

Waikiki SPG Hotel History (all on FWN in 2009 as Plat):
I stayed at RH once for 2 nights. I had a 2nd floor room and no balcony (but nice Diamond Head View). I found the staff amazing. I got sunburned. The front desk noticed and asked me to come over. They wanted my room number so they could send aloe up. I found that AMAZING! If I could guarantee myself a room with a view and balcony, I wouldn't hesitate to go back.
I also spent 2 nights at the Sheraton. I didn't like it. I got a room facing the Ala Moana side. I could barely see the ocean. It was the biggest disappointment of any hotel I've stayed at in Waikiki with elite status. I keep hearing about these great UG's at the Sheraton, but this Plat didn't see it at all. It was mid-September so not exactly peak season. Maybe it was a fluke, but I was disappointed, especially since I'd read here that upgrades were a sure thing at that hotel.

I have no SPG history in Maui or Kauai.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the verbiage. I know I talk too much!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:55 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
I was really favorably impressed by the Sheraton Waikiki's high floor ocean front rooms, but it's gotta be ocean front.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I've only been to Kauai once. It was at the Hyatt in South Kauai. I was bored out of my mind. I felt like the crowd was older and it was more a romantic feel. I'd be interested in going back but am not sure if it is a good idea without a car. Any insight would be appreciated.

So with all that in mind, which would you prefer? In Waikiki is my best bet the MS, RH or Sheraton.
I love Kauai, it's my favorite place and I used to live in Princeville. I really miss it.

But given everything you said, I think you are much better off in Waikiki.

It's not a great idea to be on Maui or Kauai without a rental car. Though it is doable, I just don't think you will be happy doing it. The only retail at the Princeville Hotel is the Princeville shopping center, and I think they used to have a shuttle bus that will probably take you there, but still .. you won't be able to go down to Hanalei Bay (there might be a bus) or drive to Tunnels or Ke'e beach or any of the waterfalls or any of the other attractions on the beautiful North Shore of Kauai.

In Waikiki, I like the RH, then the MS, and I really don't like the Sheraton very much at all.

Royal Hawaiian, Nov 2011

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 9, 2011 at 2:41 am
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
David,

The SPG properties in Maui have free shuttle to Lahaina so I'm fine there with no car. All I really want to do is the Pacific Whale Foundation Whale Watch. That makes Maui easy enough IMO. I can also fly into Kapalua which is near the hotel instead of OGG.

I pretty much ruled out Kauai because of what you said. When I stayed at the Hyatt in Poipu there was a shuttle that charged $2 to get from the hotel to area sites. It also went to the airport for $18 I think.. That made my stay there bearable, but it did a lot of raining so a lot of tours were canceled. I always assumed that I wouldn't get much out of Princeville except for the nice hotel.

Thanks for your response. Perhaps I will split the stay in Waikiki like someone else advised up thread. 3 nights in each so I can see for myself. I think I'd like the Sheraton if they'd give me an upgrade. But after the 15-18th floor room I got last time with minimal view of anything but the balcony at the hotel next door, I am hesitant. I'm sure anyone here can understand that.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:21 am
Suspended

4. Whales -- I love them.
I know it's not Hawaii, but I couldn't believe the whale watching in Los Cabos, Mexico. It was insane. I sat eating breakfast at the Sheraton outside near the ocean and could just watch them literally jumping out of the water. Maybe for another time...
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:47 am

Thanks for the tip. But I'm not sure Mexico and female traveling alone fit. But maybe someday..........

Any advice on which hotel I should chose to get that magical ocean view preferably with a balcony? I like that the RH is offering lunch, but after seeing that limited menu, I think 6 days of it would not be used. Any idea what the hours of the breakfast buffet at the MS are? I don't do early mornings even in Hawaii. Like I said, this is a restful recharge my batteries trip. I wish it could keep until early January, but SPG shortened the time on the FRN so I have to go now. I don't get why they didn't make them good until the end of January since early January is one of those travel dead zones USA Today mentioned earlier in the week. And I'm guessing there's no chance of an extension like Hyatt used to do for FFN. I would much prefer to take this trip January 4.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for the tip. But I'm not sure Mexico and female traveling alone fit. But maybe someday..........

Any advice on which hotel I should chose to get that magical ocean view preferably with a balcony? I like that the RH is offering lunch, but after seeing that limited menu, I think 6 days of it would not be used. Any idea what the hours of the breakfast buffet at the MS are? I don't do early mornings even in Hawaii. Like I said, this is a restful recharge my batteries trip. I wish it could keep until early January, but SPG shortened the time on the FRN so I have to go now. I don't get why they didn't make them good until the end of January since early January is one of those travel dead zones USA Today mentioned earlier in the week. And I'm guessing there's no chance of an extension like Hyatt used to do for FFN. I would much prefer to take this trip January 4.
Odds of getting your desired ocean front balcony at the RH (where I'm at as I type) is pretty darn low. The only rooms that would qualify for that criteria are the Tower Ocean Front rooms which I think are rarely given out on base point redemption free nights and, from my perspective, are less desirable than the rooms in the historic wing. Even ocean view rooms are pretty tough to snag at the RH. If you have status, the Sheraton is probably the way to go to get the balcony, but I can't imagine staying anywhere but the RH when it comes to SPG in Waikiki - although the Sheraton does offer the perks of having a lounge for breakfast and evening snacks...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:28 pm
y99

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Alaska MVP, Delta Silver
Any recent views on this question

Looking for updated information on if Moana is better than Royal Hawaiian given similar room types/rates.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by y99
Looking for updated information on if Moana is better than Royal Hawaiian given similar room types/rates.
I think the Royal Hawaiian is far superior if given a similar room/rate just on the basis of the pool/beachfront chairs alone.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by y99
There may be similar rates, but there are no similar rooms. Completely different hotel structures.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:00 pm

The Royal Hawaiian is more 'old world', somewhat dark, quiet and dignified; the Moana is brighter inside, much more lively (because of the smaller lobby area) and fewer long 'bowling alley' corridors though they exist in both. The Royal is behind a shopping area and thus little noise from Kalakaua; the Westin is right on Kalakaua so more noisy but also more fun to sit on the rocking chairs on the front porch if you want to people watch. Both are equally good and platinum treatment has been the same for both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.