Royal Hawaiian vs. Moana Surfrider

Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I've never stayed at the RH but am a regular at the MS. Even while using SNAs my suite upgrade success is less than 50% at the MS. However the tower rooms are very nice.

The pool at the RH is tiny but you will be allowed to use the children's pool at the Sheraton Waikiki next door which has a great water slide. The MS pool is small by comparison, but certainly not as small the RH's.
You need to separate out Pool from pool area.

The pool area at the RH is fabulous, really well spaced high quality loungers with a massive amount of sun shading. Pool attendants tend to be prompt and friendly too.

The MS has a pretty well spaced pool area but without anywhere near as much sun screening and non existent service (in my experience).

The SW has pretty much no spacing between loungers rammed together and grossly insufficient sun screening for such high intensity sun.

The RH pool area is by far the most pleasant place to lounge, the pool itself is a little worse than the MS but there isn't a huge amount in it both are small but at the RH you can pop next door to either the main pool at the SW or the Infinity Pool at the SW both of which are nice (it is just the lounger space around them which is horrid).

This would tip the scales heavily towards the RH for me.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

The RH pool area is by far the most pleasant place to lounge, the pool itself is a little worse than the MS but there isn't a huge amount in it both are small but at the RH you can pop next door to either the main pool at the SW or the Infinity Pool at the SW both of which are nice (it is just the lounger space around them which is horrid).
Part of this is incorrect. RH guests can use the main pool at the SW but not the Edge (infinity) pool. When I was at the SW a few weeks ago, some people were (apologetically) told that they were only entitled to use the main pool, so they were asked to leave the Edge pool. I asked the pool staff about this and they confirmed that this was indeed the case. Interlopers can be recognized by the wrong color of wristband.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Part of this is incorrect. RH guests can use the main pool at the SW but not the Edge (infinity) pool. When I was at the SW a few weeks ago, some people were (apologetically) told that they were only entitled to use the main pool, so they were asked to leave the Edge pool. I asked the pool staff about this and they confirmed that this was indeed the case. Interlopers can be recognized by the wrong color of wristband.
Think this has been a policy for a while. At my last RH stay, they reminded me which pool was open for RH guests. When I asked if my bracelet would get me in, they nodded, yes that is what you needed for the infinity pool. Not sure if it still the same grey wristband.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They use paper wristbands now. At SW, you get a white wristband for Plats and fuschia for everyone else. Not sure what color wristband RH guests get.

Apparently infinity pool at Sheraton gets a lot of interlopers as it's voted best pool in Waikiki. So this is how they quickly identify who belongs and who doesn't. The Plat bands give you access to reserved row of Plat chairs at edge of pool.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
They use paper wristbands now. At SW, you get a white wristband for Plats and fuschia for everyone else. Not sure what color wristband RH guests get.

Apparently infinity pool at Sheraton gets a lot of interlopers as it's voted best pool in Waikiki. So this is how they quickly identify who belongs and who doesn't. The Plat bands give you access to reserved row of Plat chairs at edge of pool.
If they have any of those reserved ones left, if they have asked you in advance of your stay or you already know about it and have reached out to them and if they have executed competently. Lot of if's there aren't there?

Whilst the adult only aspect is positive the shoehorned in chairs and high prices for shade are not.

I can only say when I was staying at the RH I had no issues with using the infinity pool, not sure if this might depend on the RH room type but never had a problem.

All in though for anything other than jumping in the pool the RH pool area was an infinitely more pleasant space to hang out in.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will confess that I spend way more time in the ocean than in the pool!

I've been able to nab my preferred chairs for the last 10-12 visits except for the time they had already been nabbed by a couple staying for 3 months. Understandable.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I woke up to sounds of coordinated yelling and screaming. What’s the noise? I don’t know yet, but there’s a paper they slid under my door over night.

“LABOR STRIKE”

The sounds outside side make more sense now... want to eat at the hotel? Tough. Want towels? Get them yourself. Want your room made up? Sorry, can’t swing it..,,
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I woke up to sounds of coordinated yelling and screaming. What’s the noise? I don’t know yet, but there’s a paper they slid under my door over night.
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota

“LABOR STRIKE”

The sounds outside side make more sense now... want to eat at the hotel? Tough. Want towels? Get them yourself. Want your room made up? Sorry, can’t swing it..,,

Discussed here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ross-us-3.html

Please keep us updated.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Affects of labor strike

Currently in Waikiki Beach although not at a Marriott/Starwood property as I’m here as a guest of a friend. We’re at the Outrigger Waikiki. From what I can gather, the restaurants are closed at the SW & MS. I will verify this and post an update. THere is a picket line in front of the MS and in the public beach access walkway between the Outrigger and RH pool area; extremely noisy and they have bullhorns, sirens and drums. Absolutely affecting pool area enjoyability, but that’s means more folks in the water and loads lounges in the shade! I would imagine guests at the SW/RH/MS/PK are pretty upset.
I am sympathetic to the workers and feel terrible for guests at the properties that have no staff.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: MYOB
Anyone know if they still have the Manager's reception at the Royal Hawaiian on Wednesdays?
If so - anyone know if they have been having them during the strike?
Finally - Anyone that has stayed recently - Is the Mai Tai Bar open during the strike?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, Delta
Originally Posted by xzh445
Anyone know if they still have the Manager's reception at the Royal Hawaiian on Wednesdays?
If so - anyone know if they have been having them during the strike?
Finally - Anyone that has stayed recently - Is the Mai Tai Bar open during the strike?
Mai Tai bar is a casualty of the strike. Not sure about your other question.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:38 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I'm a bit surprised that my "some helpful information for your upcoming visit" email didn't include info about the strike, as some people will be taken unawares. Me, I've made a safety reservation at the Hilton and have until Sunday to cancel one. Fingers crossed for the upcoming talks, but not optimistic.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Can any Platinum member comment on benefits at the RH post-merger? Are resort fees waived? Are room upgrades happening - if so to what room? Thanks

Last edited by wobbly wings; Dec 13, 2018 at 9:33 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.