Wiki Posts
Search

seeking advice on NYC *wood options

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

seeking advice on NYC *wood options

hello experts -

i'll be trying to redeem points for the first time for a stay in nyc in the fall and could use some input from folks who know the relevant properties. there will be 3 of us, so i believe that rules out some of the properties due to lack of rooms with 2 beds. we are cozy but don't want to share one bed. if possible i'd like to avoid times square.

i see my options as:
W New York on lex (cat 5)
Le Parker Meridien on 56th (cat 5)
The Chatwal on 44th (admittedly close to TS, cat 6)
The Helmsley on 42nd (cat 4)
W New York Union Square (cat 5)
Sheraton Tribeca (cat 5)

any comments on the relative value of using points at any one of these properties, or just about the hotels in general? i'm leaning toward the W Union Square or the Helmsley.

thanks!
Old May 29, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by decibel08
hello experts -

i'll be trying to redeem points for the first time for a stay in nyc in the fall and could use some input from folks who know the relevant properties. there will be 3 of us, so i believe that rules out some of the properties due to lack of rooms with 2 beds. we are cozy but don't want to share one bed. if possible i'd like to avoid times square.

i see my options as:
Sheraton Tribeca (cat 5)

any comments on the relative value of using points at any one of these properties, or just about the hotels in general? i'm leaning toward the W Union Square or the Helmsley.

thanks!
Chatwal is about as close to Bryant Park as it is Times Square, so don't frown upon it. Either that or the W - Union Square will be the best choices on the list in terms of: multiple beds, condition of the property and treatment of guests.
Old May 29, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I personally find the Meridien to be the best value for the points.
Old May 29, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: USAirways Gold, British Airways Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by decibel08
hello experts -

i see my options as:
Sheraton Tribeca (cat 5)

thanks!
I've tried most of the Starwood Hotels in New York and I've found most of them disappointing. My favorite Starwood in New York is Le Parker Meridien. Great location, fantastic gym and pool, helpful staff, and the most important thing for me, the hotel feels like an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan. I've been happy every time at Le Parker Meridien.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:23 pm

The W Hotel Union Square is Great but it is a Category 6 Are you SPG Platinum? If so check out the Sheraton New York, they have some great renovated rooms and a new club lounge. Also the Westin Times Square isn't in the heart of times square and has a nice lounge as well. The Westin and Sheraton are both Category 5.

The Sheraton Tribeca is really not that special and I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, it is new but the location and the feel of it just aren't the same as the others.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
As a suburban New Yorker who loves nothing better than an overnight NYC stay on points, I've always enjoyed Le Parker Meridien. I believe it has the ideal location - a short walk to Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Fifth Avenue, and Broadway theaters. It's far enough from Times Square to be away from the hubbub, yet still close enough that you can experience some of that Times Square excitement if you'd like.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
My favorite is W Time SQ. There is a 2 Bedroom suite on the 57th flr. Awesome and unbelivable room..

Good view.. Not sure if you get that with your points .. You need to be a bit lucky too..
Old May 29, 2011, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

i am spg gold, but as far as i hear that won't help me a whole lot right?

i'm surprised to hear the love for the parker meridien - not sure why i was discounting it myself.

does anyone have insight on the issue of getting a room with two doubles? is this something i should call spg about, or the hotel directly? i am aware that it says plainly on spg.com that award stays are for 2 persons but a rep also told me that arrangements for 3 could be worked out for extra $.
Old May 30, 2011, 6:06 am

Please see the various master threads on this topic, esp. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html . (Search the forum for "NYC" in thread titles for the rest.)

Mods, pls merge.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Alaska, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
It all depends on what your goal is for the trip. Do you want to have a luxury time away in the city or is the room just to have a decent place to stay.

I have stayed at both the Westin Time Square, 4 Points Chelsea and the aLoft Harlem using points.

I loved the Westin. They have a quieter wing for SPG. Not sure about two beds since I was traveling by myself that day.

We were in NYC last weekend for our son's graduation at stayed at the aLoft Harlem on points. We had a nice corner room and found the location to be great. We were around the corner from the Apollo theater and across the street from the subway. It is a quick walk to Central Park.

The 4 Points Chelsea had a tiny room with two beds, but close to Macy's shopping (I was there in December and the goal was to shop).

I have also stayed at the W on Lexington. Loved it. Great location, wonderful staff. Small rooms.
Old May 30, 2011, 1:47 pm

I've stayed at the Sheratons, Westin and Le Meridian and for me, the Le Meridian gets a little nod - mainly because of the upgrades I got for more space (we've gone with 2 adults and 2 kids most times). The Le Meridian has given us a nice little suite two times with a sofa bed, so it's a great addition for the little ones.

I guess part of it depends on what you want for location. Westin is closer to Time Square while Le Meridian is a little further north and a little quieter but still near most of the midtown hot spots.

I'm not sure the upgrade you get for gold, I'm a platinum.
Old May 30, 2011, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beltway
Please see the various master threads on this topic, esp. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html . (Search the forum for "NYC" in thread titles for the rest.)

Mods, pls merge.
yikes that took a while to read - solid info though of course, thanks.

Originally Posted by woot
It all depends on what your goal is for the trip. Do you want to have a luxury time away in the city or is the room just to have a decent place to stay.
well we will be in town for part of the usopen but not spending all of our time in flushing meadows. we'll do stuff in manhattan and want to be able to relax at the hotel as well. all of the above - isn't that always the most annoying answer?...

i see now that the W Union Square would set me back 85k points for 5 nights, while the LPM would be 48k (neither including the modifications for 3 people). i'd love to try the WUSQ but i probably can't justify the 2x point difference.

thanks for all your input!
Old May 30, 2011, 7:32 pm

We stayed at le parker meridien in September with 3 people on award stay. No notification to hotel ahead of time as third was willing to sleep on floor if need be. At checkin, I asked if they had anything for 3 people and got a suite with pull out sofa at no extra cost. Nice reasonably priced burger place there too.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:43 pm

Location is key in Manhattan -- Le Parker Meridien is really perfectly situated -- near Central Park, 5th Ave, short walk to West Side. I'm not a big fan of the W Union Square. Small rooms, dark hallways, and while I personally like the Union Square location, it's not walking distance (well, not a short walk, anyway) from any of the above sites. Frankly, I think the Meriden's burger joint is vastly overrated -- but I'm decidedly in the minority on that. And at least it's cheaper than what you'll be eating at the Open
Old May 30, 2011, 8:26 pm

I agree the burger joint is overrated. But easy and reasonably priced. I can make a much better burger at home or go to any local bar and get a better burger. But for Manhattan, it was decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.