Make A Green Choice Issues

Old May 19, 11, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, US Airways Chairman, Delta Gold
Make A Green Choice Issues

I am a Platinum SPG and stay at the same Westin every week - when the Make a Green Choice option came out I was excited because it is great for the environment and you get some bonus points.

Every week I opt for it and they put the cards under the hotel room door that have to be returned at checkout - I have a couple of issues with this.

First, if this was a truly green choice there should be an option not to get the cards and for Starwood to just post the points or take $5 off your bill for services. It can't be that hard to do it electronically and it would save paper.

Second, many times I opt for the green choice and I do not get any card under the door. I then have to complain to the front desk. The first time it happened I was told that I would get a card later that evening - it never arrived and I had to complain again. This week I received no card and had no time to complain, so I placed a call after leaving and was told there is nothing they can do.

I understand the rules of the program, and that you must present the card at checkout - but if I opt out and do my part, the least that the Westin can do it fulfill their end of the deal.

In my opinion this may not be systemic and could be related to customer service at the particular hotel my colleagues and I have been staying at. In general I have found the customer service there severely lacking (although there are some associates who are very good).
Old May 19, 11, 8:51 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

I have only used it once, and did get the card under my door at night, but the 500 points were not credited even though I turned the car in. After two phone calls with the Westin, they supposidly going to credit the points on my next stay in a few weeks.........we'll see. I agree the system should be improved and automated to avoid wasting trees in order to "save the environment".
Old May 19, 11, 10:25 am

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
There are some inconsistencies across properties when it comes to this program.

The Sheraton Suites by the Galleria (Houston), for example, doesn't deliver cards, and in return for opting out, I receive a random mix of points and room cleaning. Every night I put the hanger out. Some days I'll get points *and* room cleaning, or room cleaning and no points, or no room cleaning and no points.

The newly-opened Westin Memorial City (Houston) front desk staff has said that they "ran out" of the cards and to just remind them of the number of nights you opted in to the program, and your account will be credited.

Most properties are good at always sliding a card under the door, however. Quite frankly, most errors have been in my favour, so I'm not too concerned about this.
Old May 19, 11, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
At Le Centre Sheraton in Montreal I brought my card down at check-out for the $5 credit. THey informed me that I needed to present the card at the point of purchase when dining w/in the hotel. So, I could only then get the 500 points. They didn't post and I had to call SPG (my monthly call asking for missing amenity points).

THere seem to be inconsistencies w/ this program, but it's a great concept.

aloha
Old May 19, 11, 1:23 pm

The reason for the card is so that people that are non-SPG can participate in the program increasing the overall use of the program and decreasing the use of housekeeping. Which for the hotel lowers the amount of people they need to clean rooms, as well as the cost to clean sheets and what not. I'm guessing that is why they use the cards. There should be an option if an SPG guest just wants the points to make it so no cards are needed. The downside is if your points go missing... I guess you would know if the code wasn't punched in for your preference if you received housekeeping.
Old May 19, 11, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
The reason for the card is so that people that are non-SPG can participate in the program increasing the overall use of the program and decreasing the use of housekeeping. Which for the hotel lowers the amount of people they need to clean rooms, as well as the cost to clean sheets and what not. I'm guessing that is why they use the cards. There should be an option if an SPG guest just wants the points to make it so no cards are needed. The downside is if your points go missing... I guess you would know if the code wasn't punched in for your preference if you received housekeeping.
are we talking about the same card? - the business card type card that the hotel slips under the door each night that we hang the "NO HOUSEKEEPING" sign out before 2am.

THese are to be cashed in at check-out (or after dining in the case of Le Centre Sheraton)

aloha
Old May 19, 11, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
are we talking about the same card? - the business card type card that the hotel slips under the door each night that we hang the "NO HOUSEKEEPING" sign out before 2am.

THese are to be cashed in at check-out (or after dining in the case of Le Centre Sheraton)

aloha
Yes, but you can ask for the green choice during check in. I just figured most members would want the points as they are valued more than $5, and that the $5 voucher is more for enticing non-SPG members to opt out of housekeeping.
Old May 20, 11, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
At the W Silicon Valley, they ask me at check-in how many nights I will be participating in the Green Choice program and the points magically appear after I check out. No cards are required.

The nights that I receive housekeeping service, I know the front desk forgot to put in my Green request... I don't get the 500 pts for those nights.
Old May 29, 11, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Here are my issues with the program. Hopefully someone in SPG marketing reads these

1) If you select the option and select points they often don't give you the points or give you the $5 coupon instead. This means you have to go talk to the front desk, etc.

2) There aren't enough public trash cans in many properties. If I have food, etc. then I want to empty it once per day. Have at least one trash can on every floor.
Old May 30, 11, 5:23 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by omegadeal View Post
2) There aren't enough public trash cans in many properties. If I have food, etc. then I want to empty it once per day. Have at least one trash can on every floor.

+1 ^ i totally agree with you about the trash cans! the only garbage cans i can find are the somewhat small containers in the ice/vending area and they are not always cleaned out every day! ugh....
Old May 31, 11, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by omegadeal View Post
Here are my issues with the program. Hopefully someone in SPG marketing reads these

1) If you select the option and select points they often don't give you the points or give you the $5 coupon instead. This means you have to go talk to the front desk, etc.

Doesn't the $5 coupon say that it can be turned in for points at checkout?
Old May 31, 11, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, US Airways Chairman, Delta Gold
Just to follow up on this - during my next stay the hotel did give me an extra green choice coupon to make up for the previous stay.
Old Jul 25, 13, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Exp, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Just a warning to all re this program. While I LOVE it, you must be careful if you have two separate reservations. Even though they keep you in the same room, same key that works, etc., they will sometimes not honor green choice as they 'think' you checked out on a certain day. I ran into this problem during my stay at a recent Sheraton. They cleaned my room while I was out for breakfast, even though I asked for GC and didn't want the room cleaned.
Old Jul 26, 13, 1:58 am

Programs: QF LTS, TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I like this program quite a bit. I really wish they could automate it: Just say at check-in that you want to participate and get the points. Those who want $ can say so as well.

No messing up with door hangers, no chasing cards, no time wasted to convert into points at front desk, no time wasted arguing with housekeeping on delayed cards etc.

Some hotels do it like that, e.g. Westin Chicago North Shore. I wish all did.
Old Jul 26, 13, 8:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Diamond, National EE and bunch of other mid-tier status
Originally Posted by gypsyinabigtown View Post
I like this program quite a bit. I really wish they could automate it: Just say at check-in that you want to participate and get the points. Those who want $ can say so as well.

No messing up with door hangers, no chasing cards, no time wasted to convert into points at front desk, no time wasted arguing with housekeeping on delayed cards etc.

Some hotels do it like that, e.g. Westin Chicago North Shore. I wish all did.
The Sheraton Suites in Houston, TX does this exactly. You can request the Green Choice during check-in.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: