Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG launches new social currency platform. Earn bonus Starpoints and more.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG launches new social currency platform. Earn bonus Starpoints and more.

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I thought after you checked in you had to go to the "special" and hit unlock in order to get the points. How can you do this with the "mobile" work around?
Just check in at the appropriate location. The "special" is unlocked automatically and does not require any additional action.
Old May 13, 2011, 7:07 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Privacy issues solved (?)

One of the lurkers said upthread that the foursquare account name does not have to match the SPG account name. So if you're concerned about privacy, why couldn't you set up a foursquare account under a fictitious name to use just for this promotion?
Old May 13, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I just checked my profile on spokeo and it is completely wrong -- it's over 3 address back wrong and has the wrong full name for me. So much for that idea...
Old May 13, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
I just checked my profile on spokeo and it is completely wrong -- it's over 3 address back wrong and has the wrong full name for me. So much for that idea...
I saw only info for me that is basic and easily available. NO salary/financial info (I am sensitive on this-public facing job).

^ to SPG Lurker for this promotion and allowing me to get 500 extra points on 2 check-ins this week!
Old May 13, 2011, 9:48 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I'm currently checked into an aloft, next to us is a Westin that we're staying at tomorrow, I pulled up foursquare on my phone, and looked under specials, I saw the special at the Westin, but here at the aloft there are two 15% specials for your first check in...
Old May 14, 2011, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just got my first 250 point bonus....posted 24 hours after checkout....^^
Old May 14, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . Delta Diamond . All kinds of car rental statuses
Sony Playstation Network

start of the slippery slope for Starwood.
They're moving from the hotel business to the business of selling client information.
I'll signup for garbage like this after I start "friending" boxes of tampons on facebook.
i.e. never .

follow my tweets on my twit account
Old May 14, 2011, 6:20 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by sk3
The reason that I don't post on public forums/social media with my real name and whereabouts is simple: I don't want to make it that easy on your run of the mill burglars!

What do thieves look for? Empty houses. I'm really amazed that so many people post on FB and Twitter and I guess FourSquare their real name and travel itineraries. That's such an invitation to your average-Joe robber.

With just your name and your home city, "Joe" can you use this website (there are probably others) http://www.spokeo.com/ and get your exact address.

OT but if you haven't heard of this site spokeo.com you should check it out. It's positively frightening. Enter your own name and see what info is in there. I'm someone who's always kept an unlisted phone number and have kept myself out of phone book listings. But this site shows my address, age, race, sex, religion, annual income, astrological sign, political party, home price, college education and marital status - all correctly. And this info was freely displayed. (When you click on one of the items it brings you to a page where a fee is required for more details, but I've never opted to pay to become even more weirded out).

I'm a miles and points lover for sure - but only when I don't stand to lose anything.
That's why I have all my mail sent to a PO BOX. Thieves have a much more difficult time getting your mail that way. Of course, you have to worry about thieves amongst the postal workers, but I have only had one run-in ever, and the Postal Inspectors took care of the problem immediately.

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Spoke-O does not display any information that is not already publicly available elsewhere on the internet. All Spoke-O does is compile that information into a single handy website. If your privacy settings are set properly on any social media site (Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc), then Spoke-O cannot access that information. It is only for those who do not properly restrict their information, or accept people they do not know/trust where this becomes an issue. Being able to look up someone's address with only their name and a general idea of where they live is nothing new, and Spoke-O certainly did not pioneer that search ability. Also, real estate records, registration records, etc are all public information if you know where to look.
Re: spoke.com, that site should be illegal. Same with Pipl and that God-awful MyLife.com. Especially w/ MyLife, I didn't register with the site, and DO NOT want to register in order to remove my information.

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
One of the lurkers said upthread that the foursquare account name does not have to match the SPG account name. So if you're concerned about privacy, why couldn't you set up a foursquare account under a fictitious name to use just for this promotion?
+1, I just used my first name, my last initial and a junk E-mail address. I didn't link my foursquare account to anything but my SPG account.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
This has to be the most frustrating promo ever. After finally figuring out how to join foursquare, etc. First I find that it can't find my location on either phone or iPad, then I checkin but have to do it twice and then eventually get a screen confirming the special has been unlocked -but I have yet to see any points. Next day different hotel lots of problems, checkin three times at this hotel and never see that the special is unlocked. It keeps telling me that it will unlock when I checkin but it says I already have. Grrrrrrrr
Old May 14, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by Notenut
Like I said, question still not answered.

the home page gives no indication whatsoever how to click on Starwood properties. According to *wood's page my two accounts are linked, but I see nothing to indicate that when I log on to the 4sq website. Maybe it's more intuitive when using a smart phone (which I have no use for), but the website is useless as far as I can tell. Additionally, I've reads through the FAQ's and all I can find is info on phone apps, not using their website. I guess the million dollar question I need answered is how do you 'check in' using the website?
Instructions on how to checkin in on Mobile Website.... From this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16361796-post69.html
Old May 14, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by yiggiddy
Why does it say on SPG's site that: Starpoints bonuses will only be awarded to registered users who check in using the foursquare mobile phone app.

Doesn't this suggest you have to check in via the your mobile phone and the check in via PC will not count? I prefer not to download this app on my Blackberry but the way I'm reading it I have no choice if I want the SPG points. Can someone provide this answer? Thanks.
I don't see this anywhere in the T&C

http://www.spgpromos.com/socialcheck...UARE_PROMOTION

http://www.spgpromos.com/socialcheck...RMS_PROMOTIONS
Old May 14, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser
just got my first 250 point bonus....posted 24 hours after checkout....^^

+1 ^ - thanks starwood!!
Old May 15, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
I wonder if the email address needs to match the one used on spg. Obviously I am using a unique one for foursquare - haven't received any spg points yet for a sheraton stay / foursquare check-in 11-13 May. Of course it may take just a bit longer for the points to post.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Originally Posted by frankvb
I wonder if the email address needs to match the one used on spg. Obviously I am using a unique one for foursquare - haven't received any spg points yet for a sheraton stay / foursquare check-in 11-13 May. Of course it may take just a bit longer for the points to post.
I used a diff email address, points appeared two days after checkout.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by discostu
I used a diff email address, points appeared two days after checkout.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.