Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED] PROMO: SPG Getaway Free (Earn May-July 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED] PROMO: SPG Getaway Free (Earn May-July 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
This isn't a complaint about OH NOES NO PROMO FROM STARWOOD FOR TWO WEEKS TIME FOR ANGRY LETTER TO CONGRESSMAN, but an observation: I have significant travel where I'll need hotel rooms... in late April, in the gap between promotions. I could use Starwood properties for my travel. In fact, some of my favorite Starwood properties in LA would work great for what I want to do in LA, and if there was a promo, I could use the room night at the resort, too.

But, sadly, there isn't, and Hilton has nice promos going on, plus I'll net Hilton Gold out of the deal. The cost difference between Hilton and Starwood was minimal (and I'll end up with a free night out of the deal from Hilton off of THEIR promotion, anyway).

Oh, well. C'est la vie. I still may be able to make use of this promotion anyway (though the night where I will be able to use a Starwood resort night will already be past), but I would have been much more tempted to steer some business to Starwood.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If promotions are your prime motivator for selecting properties then what does the word "loyalty" really mean?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If promotions are your prime motivator for selecting properties
You might note the following:

some of my favorite Starwood properties in LA
And, in fact, I have given Starwood business in 2011 (that wasn't really decided on the basis of promos, though the Q1 promos were nice, but on being SPG Gold+good hotel for needs+good rate), and do plan on giving Starwood more business in 2011 (because those hotels meet my needs, plus I want to keep Gold). It's just a poorly timed gap. Had there been no gap, I would have likely decided differently.

That being said, Hilton has promos going that will make it worth my while to consider them for business in 2011, too, beyond what they offer in kickbacks to me. Isn't that the point of promotions- to encourage customers to steer business their way?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
I was debating some of the Caribbean properties for a getaway this week, and learned through the Plat desk that a few properties offer all-inclusive (Aruba and some in Mexico) for $100/person/night. While at first they say you can't pay with Starpoints, after further inquiries, the hotels will usually agree to let you pay the inclusive fee with Starpoints on check in... for only 7500 Starpoints per person per night. I thought those fees were absurdly high, so opted to go to St. Maarten and not do an all-inclusive.

See here for a list of the Mexico properties that have the inclusive option:
http://deals.starwoodhotels.com/prom..._LAD_PROMOTION

thank you for this information! hoping to combine some FRNs with the all-inclusive pts per night, per person

i would think that other people would be interested in this information as well - maybe mahasamatman would want it for the spreadsheet? (btw, thank you for that!)
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Thumbs up

Thanks William! This will be one of the better promotions for me.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Thanks William for the heads up and great promo. Will work hard to make this pay off for both *wood and myself.^
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dankyone
I am surprised so many are complaining about this--some outstanding, very expensive properties are on the list and I am very happy with this...
+1

This promo works for me, even though I'm based in Australia and have to travel a decent distance to get to anywhere good.

I'm likely going to earn 5 nights, so with the no-black out dates, this makes it all the worthwhile. I am likely to head to the Maldives. I know the Sheraton Moon isn't that flash of a hotel but it's asking for $450 pn for the dates I have penciled in.

I am however open to suggestions on places to visit, which have ease of access either with QF and/or SQ as I have points which I can spend.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The big problem for us is that we already have a lot of travel planned, but there just aren't resorts in most of the places we're traveling. In the few places that do have resorts, we'd basically be swapping a Cash&Points award (mostly Cat 3 and 4 properties) for a FRN, so I'm basically valuing FRN at around 5,000 points each. If airfares ever drop to Hawaii, a weekend is a possibility, but when they want $800 or more to get from SFO to Hawaii, it's much harder to justify.
How about a weekend at the Westin in Napa Valley. That is a very nice property and would be driving distance for you.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:45 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by alanslegal
+1

This promo works for me, even though I'm based in Australia and have to travel a decent distance to get to anywhere good.

I'm likely going to earn 5 nights, so with the no-black out dates, this makes it all the worthwhile. I am likely to head to the Maldives. I know the Sheraton Moon isn't that flash of a hotel but it's asking for $450 pn for the dates I have penciled in.

I am however open to suggestions on places to visit, which have ease of access either with QF and/or SQ as I have points which I can spend.
I wouldn't say I was complaining even though my post sounded like a complaint. I just dunno what I can do with 3FRN atm. Maybe (read: hopefully) I'll figure something out before December. All I know is that redemption in Australia is not worth it. Maybe a return trip to Bali is in order... hmm.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any word on booking multiple FRN rooms the same night? Understand they can't be gifted, but what about traveling as a family with multiple rooms...

Didn't see this answered in the FAQ
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any word on booking multiple FRN rooms the same night? Understand they can't be gifted, but what about traveling as a family with multiple rooms...

This hasn't been a problem for me in the past so I'm assuming that it will not be a problem with this free night promo either.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's in the T&C:
However, a member may use two or more Free Resort Night Awards on the same night for additional rooms as long as all rooms are under the member's name and the member stays in one of the rooms and pays for all the rooms.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, GP Diamond, ICH Plat, SPG Gold, WN A List, National Exec
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But, sadly, there isn't, and Hilton has nice promos going on, plus I'll net Hilton Gold out of the deal. The cost difference between Hilton and Starwood was minimal (and I'll end up with a free night out of the deal from Hilton off of THEIR promotion, anyway).
Exactly what Hilton Promotion are you talking about between April 15-May 1? If you spend every night in a Hilton you will earn enough points with the current 1000 bonus points a night promo to earn 1 free night at a category 2 hotel. If your really chasing promo's to earn free cat 2 nights at Hiltons then go for it. Personally I think the best promo during this window is with Hyatt.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Just wanted to say thank you to SPG. Just in time as July is really the only time my DH and I can vacation. We spent a wonderful week in Hawaii last summer with help from that Q2 promo, hopefully we will find standard rooms available to book another trip this year!!

Also a HUGE thank you to :-:mahasamatman:-: and others who helped to do the spreadsheet and answer so many great questions! I feel very well informed!!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by bradj
Exactly what Hilton Promotion are you talking about between April 15-May 1? If you spend every night in a Hilton you will earn enough points with the current 1000 bonus points a night promo to earn 1 free night at a category 2 hotel. If your really chasing promo's to earn free cat 2 nights at Hiltons then go for it. Personally I think the best promo during this window is with Hyatt.
I agree!^ Getting all my nights with Hyatt the next two weeks, then moving back to Starwood.

I found Hilton's promo VERY ho hum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.