Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex - Annual Fee for 3,000 points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:03 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
My renewal fee hit last month. I called and requested they credit the renewal fee. They said they couldn't do this but offered 9,000 SPG points. The points posted in about five days.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
9000 points?

Wow, that's a lot of points. How long have you been a member? Do you do a lot of spending on the card?

I wonder if other people could ask for 9k or if its a special benefit.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GB
My renewal fee hit last month. I called and requested they credit the renewal fee. They said they couldn't do this but offered 9,000 SPG points. The points posted in about five days.
wow....well done....
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GB
seriously?? 9000 points? Jeez--did you have to negotiate to that number & are you a big spender on the card?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:15 pm

got offered two thousand points or $10 credit. Do not use the card too much since I stopped traveling. I was seriously considering canceling the card, and this made me stick around for a little longer.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:13 pm

I was offered $20 reduction in yearly fees (down to $45 as it was last year) as well as 5000 starpoints. No way to get 9000 points, tried it hard however unsuccessful.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by volkswankin
I did the same thing, but was only offered 2,000 points.
I told them if you won't give me 3,000 I'm canceling.
Just kidding!
You had me there for just a second !
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Are you guys calling AMEX at 1-800-926-0143 or SPG at 1-888-625-4988?

The reason I'm asking is that I just called AMEX and the first rep. said she would have to xfer me to the retention dept. Fine. That rep. offered to give me a $25 credit but could not offer ANY extra points. I asked to be xferred to his supervisor. She came on the line and said she had NO authority to add points to my account. It just wasn't possible. She could offer me a small credit but SPG is the only one that can add points. I said "thanks" and hung up.

I'll call again but wanted to make sure who you all are calling. I'm assuming it's AMEX and not SPG. But assuming can be a bad thing.

BTW, I have the Business card. TIA!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I called AMEX, 800-297-1000, to pay my bill. After the agent took care of the payment, I asked about points and was given 3,000 points. Thanks for the thread, or else I'd never have received the 3,000 Goodwill SPG point.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Red face

Originally Posted by CIT85
I called AMEX, 800-297-1000, to pay my bill. After the agent took care of the payment, I asked about points and was given 3,000 points. Thanks for the thread, or else I'd never have received the 3,000 Goodwill SPG point.
I don't GET it. I've called the above # & the # on my card & talked to four diff. CSRs. The best I could get was a $20 credit. They all said they did NOT have the ability to add SPG points to my acct. They could only issue a small credit. One super. I spoke to said the same thing. Help me out, please.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: hyatt
I WISH for some consistency in SPG
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
I don't GET it. I've called the above # & the # on my card & talked to four diff. CSRs. The best I could get was a $20 credit. They all said they did NOT have the ability to add SPG points to my acct. They could only issue a small credit. One super. I spoke to said the same thing. Help me out, please.
I've had 0 luck as well so far. Spoke to a regular CSR yesterday, put me on hold for about 5 minutes and said they couldn't do anything about the annual fee... no waive, no reduction, no points. Then today, I spoke to someone from the retention department, and again, came back and said sorry nothing they can do. He said to call back after the annual fee as posted and see if they can do anything about it (not sure how that would be different from doing it now?).

I'm not a huge spender on the card, but have put maybe $10,000 on the card in the past 11 months or so.

I'll try again tomorrow
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I had the same experience canceling my card yesterday. Despite being a cardholder since 99 and spending enough per year to retain Gold status (and then some) since they implemented that benefit, was only offered the $20 credit.

I am not traveling as much as I used to, and the last several years at SPG properties have not really experienced anything special with Gold status -- especially when redeeming my reward nights. So a few months ago I shifted all my spend over to my Costco Amex and Marriott visa in anticipation of canceling the SPG Amex. But I would have kept it if offered any of the combination of offers in this thread (i.e. I was fine with the fee at $30, so anything that basically took it back to that level).

Had a nice long conversation with the CSR (retention I think) about the card and SPG program. Explained my experience with the program lately, feelings about the fee more than doubling, change in travel patterns, and that my other hotel cards come with a free night at renewal. She kept highlighting the 3rd night free at Sheraton as the main benefit of the card!

My issue may have been that I have another Amex that I still spend a fair amount on. In any case, as of today am no longer an SPG Amex cardholder. Will probably reapply in a few years - ends up giving me more benefits overall and in the meantime I will probably look at another Amex product (perhaps a return to Hilton!).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by philemer
Try an email
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
AMEX NOt SPG

Originally Posted by dabaobao
I WISH for some consistency in SPG
This is an AMEX issue. SPG has nothing to do with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.