Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:43 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Condition One
That's a real helpful comment. But in case I wasn't clear in my post, I didn't ask for breakfast on Day One. The receptionist noted that restriction without prompting, which as I said, seems to go against the customer oriented culture at the hotel and St Regis brand. Anyway, I'll leave it at that lest this devolves into a petty breakfast argument like in the SGS thread.
And the front desk agent also said “We have you room ready for you” which seems to have been omitted from your stay report.

its not a petty argument when this is standard practice worldwide to not offer breakfast on day of check in, unless there is a club lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:31 am
kkl

Seems like hotel is almost sold out.

Checking in tomorrow for a 2 night stay and then moving to the Athenee. STR has always been my go to for BKK

Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by m0hamed
its not a petty argument when this is standard practice worldwide to not offer breakfast on day of check in, unless there is a club lounge.
I think the point was that the fact that the front desk explicitly said "you can't have breakfast today" without having been prompted was taken as petty behaviour. Condition One didn't ask for, nor desired, nor expected that they would be having free breakfast upon check-in at 9AM.

Reading the post in this way also removes any assumption that Condition One was not grateful for the early check-in.

Let's move on.

Personally, I'm happy to hear that people are having positive experiences. I had 3 stays in the first few years they opened and each one was flawed in ways that led me to never consider returning.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:55 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by yosithezet

Personally, I'm happy to hear that people are having positive experiences. I had 3 stays in the first few years they opened and each one was flawed in ways that led me to never consider returning.
I stayed there this week and wasn't quite sure what to expect but very pleasantly surprised. Flawless service all the way through, excellent breakfast each day, several live stations for eggs etc.
First time I have seen the champagne "ceremony" - a dozen attempts later the cork and neck were off and champers all round.
Would stay again.
Ask the Concierge for the address in Thai if you are venturing out, as no taxi / tuk tuk driver knows where this place is...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:00 pm
kkl

Checked in yesterday. Pre upgraded to grand deluxe.

Hotel was sold out so no suite upgrade.

Was asked what time I wanted to check out, 3pm but said only 1pm available. Didn't argue about plat gurantee 4pm as I'm moving to the new Athenee.

30 mins later received in room letter and personal call from front desk management saying I been misinformed and 4pm is available if wanted.

Seems like they are training new staff at check in. More experienced staff overseeing the process.

Still my goto in BKK
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I re-visited the St Regis Bangkok a couple of weeks ago and was pleased to see that the severe service issues that I had previously experienced around the opening now seem to be addressed. Staff all spoke English, were component and our Butler (upon seeing us arrive from a remote island looking like we belonged on Khao San road) was the best example of what a St Regis Butler could possibly be.

During Happy Hour Platinum guests still get a single drink from the bar which is of higher quality than you will get in the 2-3 hour open venues, but it still seemed rather stingy and having to hand over "vouchers" hardly screams St Regis haute service.Overall though, my feeling remains that this is one of the weaker St Regis hotels in the portfolio. We were upgraded to a Metropolitan Suite which was very generous, but which apart from a giant entrance hallway wasn't especially impressive. I still do not like the pool area and felt the F&B offering was weak relative to expectations in Bangkok.

I get the feeling the hotel was done on the cheap by someone not massively interested in the St Regis brand, I wish it were a bit more like the St Regis Kuala Lumpur. It would be more than good enough if it were in a 3rd tier Chinese City, but in Bangkok there are many better options, a number of which are cheaper. The SGS remains my Bangkok hotel of choice, with the odd detour to somewhere like the MO or Peninsula when I want a change.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:14 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the review, @EuropeanPete!

It sounds like you’re a little disappointed in both the soft product (service) and the hardware/hard product. Can you give some examples where the hard product falls short for you? How was the food for breakfast and dinner?

It sounds like the service actually was pretty good, other than your disappointment about drink coupons and related Platinum recognition. Would that be fair? I tend to distinguish the two—service levels and Platinum recognition—as I believe they are two different and distinct issues.

When I evaluate the top hotels in Bangkok, I’d really only include the Oriental (horrendously expensive and way too formal for us), the Siam (out of the way), the Peninsula, the St Regis, the Anantara, the Banyan Tree, the Sukhothai, and maybe the new Park Hyatt (soulless and with terrible service issues to date). I think the SGS and Athenee Luxury Collection options may please many SPG Platinums insofar as better Platinum recognition, but I have doubts that the overall hard product or service levels (and comparable St Regis butler services) at the SGS and/or Athenee are as good as or can remotely match those at the St Regis. I also have doubts that the overall ambience of luxury at the Athenee and SGS wil compare favorably with the StR.

My choice likely would be between the Peninsula and the St Regis for our next stay...with perhaps consideration for the unique Siam.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I also like to differentiate between service and hard product. I'd say the Bangkok St Regis is stronger on hard product than soft, but neither were really where they should be for Bangkok given the alternatives available.The hard product is clearly that of a luxury hotel (vs. that of the SGS for example, which in places looks a bit cheap), but it's a bit smaller, worse designed and less attractive than any other St Regis I've been to. In my Metropolitan Suite for example, the living room felt small and slightly claustrophobic from the lack of decent windows. Downstairs the venue is obviously expensive, but the bar and living room area are (in my opinion) really badly designed and not conducive to inspiring anyone to sit there. The hotel is slightly reminiscent of one of those super expensive upper East Side restaurants that has deployed $5M in marble but which nobody actually goes to.

In terms of the soft product, the upside as I mentioned was that now the staff were trained to a level where nothing went wrong - and the Butler was genuinely good at his job. The rest of the staff were very transactional - no evidence of either warmth or the ability to anticipate and meet your requirements. I would not call the service good - merely that it was no longer unacceptable. Contrast that with the Peninsula whose staff always seems to effortlessly be one step ahead of anything you want, or the SGS staff who every visit seem to come up with new and unexpected ways to make you feel welcome and to go the extra mile.

This is clearly off thread, but if I could stay anywhere for any budget in Bangkok I'd probably stay at the Mandarin Oriental, though I can understand why it's not for you. The Siam looks beautiful but is just too far out of the way of the places I go in Bangkok to work for me, plus given other options it's priced too high for me to consider in Bangkok.

I stay 10-20 nights a year in Bangkok and have adopted the SGS as my home away from home with a level of service and welcoming that doesn't exist anywhere else, but I'd recommend the Peninsula for you if you are looking for a stay in the city more aligned to luxury stays elsewhere. As an aside, if you want to see a review where I really hate somewhere go check out what I had to say on the Park Hyatt Bangkok.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I also like to differentiate between service and hard product.

Thanks for all your details. However, I think you misunderstood. I like to differentiate between service and Platinum recognition as much as between service/soft product and hard product.

You and most other Platinums IME seem to consider service and Platinum recognition to be equivalent; I do not. I think a hotel can offer excellent service and poor Platinum recognition, just as I think a hotel can offer poor service and excellent Platinum recognition.

The difference in Platinum recognition between this StR and other StR properties or between this StR and the SGS and Athenee--with welcome amenities, drink coupons, and/or availability of free appetizers during happy hour, etc--is a significant factor for many Platinums and something even you mentioned during your earlier thoughts. I absolutely could care less about such Platinum amenities in comparison to the overall service level accorded me during a stay at such a luxury hotel.

If the service is top drawer and I don't get a drink coupon or get a weak welcome amenity, I'm still exceedingly pleased. I see them as different quantities, and I care far more about the service quotient.

That isn't the case for most Plats who comment herein IME. To me, most Plats seem to care far more about their free drink coupons, free appetizers during happy hour, and the like.

I'd say the Bangkok St Regis is stronger on hard product than soft, but neither were really where they should be for Bangkok given the alternatives available.The hard product is clearly that of a luxury hotel (vs. that of the SGS for example, which in places looks a bit cheap), but it's a bit smaller, worse designed and less attractive than any other St Regis I've been to. In my Metropolitan Suite for example, the living room felt small and slightly claustrophobic from the lack of decent windows. Downstairs the venue is obviously expensive, but the bar and living room area are (in my opinion) really badly designed and not conducive to inspiring anyone to sit there. The hotel is slightly reminiscent of one of those super expensive upper East Side restaurants that has deployed $5M in marble but which nobody actually goes to.
I think we differ in that I tend to obviously consider the brand standard--but also in the context of the locality more than you're doing. While the StR Bangkok may not quite live up to the standards of other St Regis properties around the world to which you compare it, I suspect the StR Bangkok still compares quite favorably to the best luxury hotels in Bangkok.

Your issues with hard product seem mostly to be about design--not quality--so they reflect a design style that was assumed more appropriate to the Thai market for its opening in 2011. That is also true even for the Oriental, which has a far more traditional style in Bangkok than with most MO properties elsewhere in the world. Looking at the Oriental's style in Bangkok makes more sense than such a traditional scheme would in Paris! The same is true for the St Regis IMO. So I'm not as bothered by your concern there. I also doubt that the stylistic dislikes you have with this StR will be shared by me in the same manner.

In terms of the soft product, the upside as I mentioned was that now the staff were trained to a level where nothing went wrong - and the Butler was genuinely good at his job. The rest of the staff were very transactional - no evidence of either warmth or the ability to anticipate and meet your requirements. I would not call the service good - merely that it was no longer unacceptable. Contrast that with the Peninsula whose staff always seems to effortlessly be one step ahead of anything you want, or the SGS staff who every visit seem to come up with new and unexpected ways to make you feel welcome and to go the extra mile.
This sounds like an issue where I might feel as you do. But it's hard to say for sure, since my demeanor and priorities in what I expect in terms of service may differ from yours. The fact that we tend to like so many of the same properties suggests that I might also find this to be a problem here. But we also have differed in the past in terms of what we like. So it's impossible to know for sure!

This is clearly off thread, but if I could stay anywhere for any budget in Bangkok I'd probably stay at the Mandarin Oriental, though I can understand why it's not for you. The Siam looks beautiful but is just too far out of the way of the places I go in Bangkok to work for me, plus given other options it's priced too high for me to consider in Bangkok.

I stay 10-20 nights a year in Bangkok and have adopted the SGS as my home away from home with a level of service and welcoming that doesn't exist anywhere else, but I'd recommend the Peninsula for you if you are looking for a stay in the city more aligned to luxury stays elsewhere. As an aside, if you want to see a review where I really hate somewhere go check out what I had to say on the Park Hyatt Bangkok.

I suspect I'd stay at the St Regis despite your concerns. I don't think the SGS or Athenee will be luxurious enough for us, and I love the St Regis butler service. We loved the Peninsula when we visited last and stayed at the Sukhothai, but we also very much enjoyed the Sukhothai (even despite the Vegas-y interior design that isn't to our style, and even despite the lack of river location). If the rates for suites at the Peninsula were low, we'd probably consider the Peninsula--but otherwise stick with the St Regis.

I also think I get exceptional treatment and attention (and service recovery) because of my SPG Plat100 Ambassador status. That factor can't be understated in this equation!

Either way, your review tempers my expectations for this St Regis. So thanks!

That being said, everyone also had tempered my expectations for the St Regis Rome, everyone clamoring to put it down, to slam the staff for being arrogant, to slam the outdated rooms/suites...and yet we really loved our stay, found the public spaces to be spectacularly beautiful, found the staff to be wonderfully hospitable, and found our junior suite to be very comfortable despite the dated decor.

As an aside, I already know how soulless and problematic the PH Bangkok property is. After my housekeeping issues at the PH Sydney in May 2017 and my service letdowns even as a visitor to the PH Vienna in Oct 2017, I actually have some concerns for the entire PH brand. I therefore wasn't surprised at all that you hated the PH Bangkok.
KosherKimchee likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 24, 2018 at 11:19 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Thank you to those who have provided reviews. We will finally be visiting this property in a couple of weeks. So very excited for our first trip to Thailand and I am looking forward to writing up something after that. Judging strictly from the pictures I really like the style of this St Regis BKK.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:33 am
kkl

The STR is not perfect, service at breakfast can be patchy. Asked for new cutlery 2 times but was forgotten. Was asked to place my breakfast menu order at the station (normally its taken by the waitress).

After staying in the Athenee for the last night due to STR being sold out, IMO the Athenee is half a notch down from STR. Athenee's lobby is grand and beautiful. I was upgraded to an Athenee suite upon check in at the lounge.

If you judge solely upon the lounge, Athenee would win hands down. 4-5 different hot entrees, dessert, cheese, fruit etc open bar for 4 hours BUT even after a pretty extensive reno done recently, can see where they have cut corners on. The solid wooden furniture (study desk, standalone minibar) have not been changed and heavily worn/scratched. STR standard bathroom is miles ahead of the Athenee suite.

Most ironic part is the Athenee have a huge 'lookbook' of BKK's best restaurants on the coffee table. It was left opened on a page with Four Seasons Hotel. Can only guess how old that book is.

My favourite part of STR with plat benefits is 4 pieces of laundry per guest per day which i think is generous. Always come back with a full suitecase of clean clothes.

They seem to have got rid of the downstairs check in. I remember they were trialing that in late Sept. Seems like it was more inconvenient than anything. They have moved that 'lectern' up to the 12th floor with Natalia (GEM) manning the check in troops.

Last edited by kkl; Jan 26, 2018 at 8:42 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kkl

Most ironic part is the Athenee have a huge 'lookbook' of BKK's best restaurants on the coffee table. It was left opened on a page with Four Seasons Hotel. Can only guess how old that book is.
Hilarious and kind of pathetic at the same time.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Staying here now and didn’t see any mention of Gold benefits, so I figured I’d update.

Besides the usual drink or points, the hotel offers Golds three pieces of pressing or laundry per person per day and a 15% F&B discount excluding Zuma.

I didnt know that a laundry benefit was offered for Golds here; it is much appreciated.
Central90210 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:36 am

We finish a 4 week vacation in Thailand and Malayasia a few days ago, staying at 7 SPG hotels which included 3 StRs, 2 Luxury Collection, 1 LM, and 1 Westin properties. We were impressed with our stay at the Bangkok St Regis, and found the postings here very helpful in setting our expectations
We give this hotel high marks for the service, SPG recognition and value, placing it within the top 3 StRs that we have stayed in over the years. Below are some of the specifics of our stay.

Recognition: We stayed in room 2224, pictured in the posts of Chad75, a corner room on the top floor noted as the Caroline Astor Suite by other posters. This is a superb room overlooking the city with views of 2 other luxury hotels we stayed at over the years prior to the construction of this StR. A minor issue with this and other rooms is that one can barely hear the train as it passes by, although we did not hear any traffic on the street below. We can't identify more impressive recognition when one of the Front Office personnel left her desk @ checkin area, greeted us while we waited for the elevator during our stay, telling us she and her colleagues appreciate our loyalty to SPG, and that my metal SPG card was only the third that she had seen. Cards like the one given to me was one of the first batch of Life Platinum cards and SPG now provides only plastic rather that metal loyalty cards. She also asked if we would be staying at any other StRs, and if so, she would notify them of our arrival (she did as on our arrival at these 2 properties, and we received a note from her in our rooms with a basket of fruit).

Service: We received the excellent butler service, and no longer ask ourselves why does one need a butler. Rather we found a number of tasks we gave our butlers, and were impressed by the work they did for us. One involved wrapping a present for a young sushi chef who was our favorite while working in NYC who now has his own restaurant in Bangkok with a wait list that frequently is up to 6 months!! My wife became ill probably from some food she ate on our JAL outbound upon immediately arriving at the StR. Needless to say, they delivered breakfast I picked out for my wife from the morning buffet as quickly as I returned to our room. A problem we mentioned to a manager when he asked if there was anything that could be done to improve our stay was quickly fixed. This problem was that the bar where one uses the frequently mentioned free drink cards was not accessible to my wife as she was in a wheel chair recovering from hip surgery. Within 4 hours, we received a call telling us that engineering was working on it, and 2 hours later a second call informing us that they would build a ramp during the evening and night shifts and have it in place by the AM. This happened so that we could enjoy the StR Bangkok's Bloody Mary cocktails!

Location: Like Alanslegal reported here, Gaggan is ranked as the best restaurant in Asia and 7th on the San Pelligrino worldwide list. It is a few minutes walk behind the StR, and if one had not made a reservation 3 months ahead of a StR stay, it appeared to be common practice to walk from the StR to the restaurant a few minutes before 6 PM in hopes of a cancellation. Their 25 course (25 small bite) menu should not be missed, as this restaurant will soon close and be relocated to Fukuoka Japan

Value: We paid $225 for our room for each of 3 nights. When staying at a hotel, we have a $ cut off where we either use points or pay with our SPG AE card and in this. My wife commented that she thought it was impossible for any hotel, including any hotel in Bangkok, to compete with the StR based on recognition, service, product, and the value.

Overall, this is a superior SrR and we graded it as one of their top 3 properties.
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Impressive report for this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.