Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
For those with questions regarding the best timing for applying for a Platinum or Gold status match, this is the policy to keep in mind for your individual determination:

Elite Expiration: The Elite Status Challenge entitles members to one full year of elite status, from one renewal period to the next (i.e. the end of February one year to the end of February the next year) and only carries over if they are upgraded on or after March 1st (whereas earning status naturally* gives members elite status for the remainder of the current year, carries over for the entirety of the following year, and expires at the end of February in the third year)

Elite Status Challenge Expiration Example: If a member is upgraded via the challenge on or before February 28th, 2017 they retain status until February 28th, 2018, the following year. If they are upgraded on or after March 1st, 2017 they retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Does anyone know how long it will take after meeting the 18 night platinum challenge I will see my status change?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by nfg05
Is it still the case that if you have any type of SPG status you are not allowed to do a challenge?

I barely stayed at SPG in 2016, having made Hyatt Diamond. I have SPG Gold via Amex Plat but have a few months of business travel coming up and thinking about placing it with SPG.
Lurkers will confirm shortly, I'm sure, but I think you can do a Plat SC as long as you haven't had Plat status in the last five (?) years or so.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:57 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stargold
Lurkers will confirm shortly, I'm sure, but I think you can do a Plat SC as long as you haven't had Plat status in the last five (?) years or so.
Signed up for the plat challenge as Gold no issues.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Does anyone know how long it will take after meeting the 18 night platinum challenge I will see my status change?
To answer my own question, I completed the platinum challenge yesterday morning and woke up today and my status has changed to platinum in the SPG app. Now I'm wondering how long it takes for this to sync with Marriott.

Anyone been though something similar?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
To answer my own question, I completed the platinum challenge yesterday morning and woke up today and my status has changed to platinum in the SPG app. Now I'm wondering how long it takes for this to sync with Marriott.

Anyone been though something similar?
I mentioned only a few pages back that my Marriott status updated the following day after my SPG status was updated.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Would I still get SNA's when hitting platinum with the challenge? Will hit 50 nights in about 2 months, but figured I'd just go for this since we have no idea what state the program will be in in the next few years
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:01 pm

You only get SNA if you hit 50 nights in a year.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Status Challenge & Multiple/Overlapping Rooms

I normally hang out in the HHonors section as that's my primary program. That said, I'm in the midst of a Platinum Challenge since my travel has picked up enough to keep 2/3 programs and it's also by far the easiest way to Marriott Platinum. How does SPG handle multiple rooms and overlapping reservations in general, and specific to challenges? My primary example is in reference to an upcoming stay where I will have 3 rooms checking in at the same time, 2 of those rooms for 3 nights and 1 room for only 2 nights, all at the same property. Will I received 3 nights towards the challenge? 6? 8?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:20 pm

You will receive 8 nights.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I normally hang out in the HHonors section as that's my primary program. That said, I'm in the midst of a Platinum Challenge since my travel has picked up enough to keep 2/3 programs and it's also by far the easiest way to Marriott Platinum. How does SPG handle multiple rooms and overlapping reservations in general, and specific to challenges? My primary example is in reference to an upcoming stay where I will have 3 rooms checking in at the same time, 2 of those rooms for 3 nights and 1 room for only 2 nights, all at the same property. Will I received 3 nights towards the challenge? 6? 8?

Thanks in advance.
SPG allows you to get multiple room credits for up to 3 rooms per night. Just like the above poster said, you will get 8 nights.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
SPG allows you to get multiple room credits for up to 3 rooms per night. Just like the above poster said, you will get 8 nights.
IIRC this might not be true regarding the plat challenge.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan

Thanks in advance.
I've merged your question into the main Platinum Challenge thread, where this has been previously discussed.

Post #690 upthread should be of interest to you.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by red star
The multiple room credit also applies to platinum challenges.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by red star
I received full credit for multiple rooms booked last year across several stays during a plat challenge; the only conditions are that all bookings have to be on a qualifying rate (e.g. no free nights, C+P, or employee rates), the folio has to have your name and SPG number on them and you have to book and pay for them.

Just to add, IsleOfMan can also expect to clock 3 stays for this (unlike HH which only gives 1 stay credit no matter how many rooms you have!)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tobeytoh
Can I confirm that 4th nights free offered by the likes of Amex FHR and Mastercard World Elite would count as qualifying nights for the purposes of the challenge? (as mentioned in post #686 )

I was told by an agent via email that only the first 3 nights would be considered as qualifying, and the T&C of the challenge does say that only paid nights would count.

I have quite a few upcoming stays with 4th night free, and it would be good to have this clarified.
I just had a conversation about this with an SPG agent and they said that the 4th night free through AMEX FHR does not count as it wouldn't count towards your nights anyways, but since she wasn't exactly sure, she told me to email them at [email protected] and ask them to review my folio.

Can the lurkers here confirm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.