Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
For those with questions regarding the best timing for applying for a Platinum or Gold status match, this is the policy to keep in mind for your individual determination:

Elite Expiration: The Elite Status Challenge entitles members to one full year of elite status, from one renewal period to the next (i.e. the end of February one year to the end of February the next year) and only carries over if they are upgraded on or after March 1st (whereas earning status naturally* gives members elite status for the remainder of the current year, carries over for the entirety of the following year, and expires at the end of February in the third year)

Elite Status Challenge Expiration Example: If a member is upgraded via the challenge on or before February 28th, 2017 they retain status until February 28th, 2018, the following year. If they are upgraded on or after March 1st, 2017 they retain status for the remainder of the year, all of 2018, up until February 28th, 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadTime
Need alot of help to hit platinum. Isn't it 75 nights or something like that? It seems to me I once stayed at a Marriott for two months and didn't see any changes.
1. Staying in one hotel continuously for two months may not earn you 60 nights in all programs. I'm not sure of whether there's any limit in either Marriott or SPG, but I do seem to recall that at least hotel programs put a limit on something like 30 nights per stay, no matter how long your stay is. So perhaps this is what you ran into? While Marriott does require 75 for what they call Platinum, you cross Silver at 10 nights and Gold at 50 nights. So if all 60ish nights of the 2-month stay did count, you should have been Gold after it. (But that's the other issue: Stay/night credits don't tend to post until you check out, so unless perhaps you make special arrangements, you don't get any benfits from crossing an elite status threshold in the middle of a long stay.)

2. Marriott is unusual in that it only has nights as a means for qualification. No way to qualify on stays (or base points). SPG lets you qualify "normally" for Platinum on 25 stays (23 with one SPG card, 21 with two SPG cards) or 50 nights (45 with one SPG card, 40 with two SPG cards).

(Then SPG also lets you "challenge" for Platinum with 18 nights within a 90 day period. That, in fact, is what this thread is all about. Marriott has a similar "challenge", by the way, and in Marriott's case you get to "try out" the status level you're challenging for immediately, while at SPG you have to wait until you complete the challenge successfully to get the new status.)

For those of us used to changing hotels every night, "hotel hopping" (staying in a different hotel on alternate nights) allows every night to be a stay, and thus for 25 (or 23 or 21) stays to be achieved in just 25 (or 23 or 21) nights. If you can't or won't "hotel hop" though, then you need a lot more than 25/23/21 nights to get to 25/23/21 stays.

In SPG as well as in every other program (including Marriott which uses stays for promos even if not for elite stays), a stay is defined as "any number of consecutive nights at the same hotel, no matter how many times you check in or check out". Thus the only way to have consecutive nights be separate stays is to change hotels every night. You only need two hotels, though, since you can change back and forth, as long as each hotel sees a gap of one night between stays.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. Staying in one hotel continuously for two months may not earn you 60 nights in all programs. I'm not sure of whether there's any limit in either Marriott or SPG, but I do seem to recall that at least hotel programs put a limit on something like 30 nights per stay, no matter how long your stay is. So perhaps this is what you ran into? While Marriott does require 75 for what they call Platinum, you cross Silver at 10 nights and Gold at 50 nights. So if all 60ish nights of the 2-month stay did count, you should have been Gold after it. (But that's the other issue: Stay/night credits don't tend to post until you check out, so unless perhaps you make special arrangements, you don't get any benfits from crossing an elite status threshold in the middle of a long stay.)
it used to be 30 days for most programs but i recall them changing this policy a number of years ago....not sure about marriott but spg & hilton have revised it to 90 nights....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ashley1245
I got some clarification after emailing Plat concierge (again). I was told that if start the challenge after February, i.e., March 1, you will be Plat (once you complete the challenge) for the rest of 2012, 2013, and until Feb. 2014. So, I guess it makes sense to hold off on doing to challenge until after March 1. If you start before March 1, the Plat status only lasts until Feb. 2013.

I will be out of the country on 3/1 and would like to start my challenge on that day. Can you request the challenge in advance and ask that it start on 3/1? I want to make sure I maintain Platinum until 2014 as I will have NO problem hitting the challenge requirements.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, NWA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Plat Challenge not available for previous Plat?

My request for a Plat Challenge was denied yesterday. Here is the response I got from platinum.liaison:

"In reviewing your account, I show that you have been at the Platinum level in the past. The purpose of the status challenge is to allow our members who have never been at the Platinum level a way to quickly reach it and get a taste of the benefits that we offer our top tier members."

I had an impression that challenge is good for everyone, am I wrong? btw, my previous plat status was earned, not from status match.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch

2. Marriott is unusual in that it only has nights as a means for qualification. No way to qualify on stays (or base points). SPG lets you qualify "normally" for Platinum on 25 stays (23 with one SPG card, 21 with two SPG cards) or 50 nights (45 with one SPG card, 40 with two SPG cards).

(Then SPG also lets you "challenge" for Platinum with 18 nights within a 90 day period. That, in fact, is what this thread is all about. Marriott has a similar "challenge", by the way, and in Marriott's case you get to "try out" the status level you're challenging for immediately, while at SPG you have to wait until you complete the challenge successfully to get the new status.)

For those of us used to changing hotels every night, "hotel hopping" (staying in a different hotel on alternate nights) allows every night to be a stay, and thus for 25 (or 23 or 21) stays to be achieved in just 25 (or 23 or 21) nights. If you can't or won't "hotel hop" though, then you need a lot more than 25/23/21 nights to get to 25/23/21 stays.

In SPG as well as in every other program (including Marriott which uses stays for promos even if not for elite stays), a stay is defined as "any number of consecutive nights at the same hotel, no matter how many times you check in or check out". Thus the only way to have consecutive nights be separate stays is to change hotels every night. You only need two hotels, though, since you can change back and forth, as long as each hotel sees a gap of one night between stays.
Thank you, very informative. This was (for me) before FT. I thought it was funny that I could stay someplace long enough to know every employee and at the time the manager could not remember anyone ever staying there longer and still being treated on the lowest tier.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: KiwiCollection VIP, A|Club Plat, HH Gold
I read most of this thread but couldnt really find a list of the full requirements for the 18 nights Platinum Challenge. Basically I have 2 questions:

1. Can I start the challenge right after I created a SPG account or do I have to be Gold Status already?

2. Can I spend 18 consecutive nights in this hotel (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1904) (about 1400 USD for 18 nights) and beat the challenge?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by CL63
I read most of this thread but couldnt really find a list of the full requirements for the 18 nights Platinum Challenge. Basically I have 2 questions:

1. Can I start the challenge right after I created a SPG account or do I have to be Gold Status already?

2. Can I spend 18 consecutive nights in this hotel (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1904) (about 1400 USD for 18 nights) and beat the challenge?
doesn't matter what status you have, you can do the challenge. If you have questions about it => [email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
1. Can I start the challenge right after I created a SPG account
yes....

or do I have to be Gold Status already?
no....

yes....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: KiwiCollection VIP, A|Club Plat, HH Gold
Sweet,... thanks for the answers
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been answered already, can we be status matched from Hilton Honors Gold to SPG Gold? If yes how do I do it?

Thanks,
K.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by k3nnis
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been answered already, can we be status matched from Hilton Honors Gold to SPG Gold? If yes how do I do it?

Thanks,
K.
Unfortunately no gold status matches, but there is a plat challenge. If interested contact [email protected]
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
thanks. can I do the plat challenge with HH gold?

Originally Posted by justspg
Unfortunately no gold status matches, but there is a plat challenge. If interested contact [email protected]
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by k3nnis
thanks. can I do the plat challenge with HH gold?
anybody can do a challenge, regardless of what your status is with other hotels. I did a plat challenge and had no status with any hotel.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:39 pm

are you given temporary SPG Platinum status during the 90 day challenge??

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; Feb 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
are you given temporary SPG Platinum staus during the 90 day challenge??
I don't think so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.