Anyone here own Starwood Timeshare?

Old Mar 25, 11, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Anyone here own Starwood Timeshare?

I am thinking about purchasing a Timeshare resale via redweek.com or other resale sources and was wondering does one need to be a part of Interval International/RCI to do Getaways or can one just do itner Starwood to stay at the Westin Mission Hills in addition to the week owned?

Is it possible to buy a 1 bedroom Premium at the Desert Oasis Scottsdale AZ and pay the difference to stay in a 2 bedroom Westin Unit or use the 1 bedroom Premium one week and then get a getaway in a 2 bedroom at the Westin?

I know that with resale you can't transfer your weeks into Starwood Points but on the other hand you have a nice unit.

Any advice would be most appreciative. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum. Anyone is more than welcome to PM me so that I can ask your personal experiences with regards to owning with Starwood.
Old Mar 25, 11, 10:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, SPG PLATINUM, MR GOLD, AX CENTURION, etc.
Sorry, but don't know to much about SW TS. But I would suggest to have a closer look at www.tug2.net.
Old Mar 26, 11, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Just be very careful and sure about what you're getting into. A friend of mine bought a Starwood Timeshare and now very much regrets it. He bought it directly from Starwood, so your situation could be very different. Still, best to do as much research as possible about something like this.
Old Mar 26, 11, 7:56 am

Programs: United 1K - Starwood LifetimePlatinum - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum - Singapore Airlines PPS
I own a timeshare in Maui that I have been trying to unload for quite some time..
I would not advise you to buy one.
Old Mar 26, 11, 8:51 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
You will find lots of people who think timeshare resales are a good idea and you will find even more people who wished they had never bought one. If you are the type of person who just likes to pick up the phone and reserve there vacation, don't buy! If you like to plan ahead, do the research and "play the game". There is some great deals and you can save a lot of money time sharing. I agree with FlyingSmurf, go to www.tug2.net and there forums and start reading.
Old Mar 26, 11, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You'll get a better audience for timeshares at the Timeshare Users Group website - SVO Forum
Old Mar 26, 11, 10:40 am

I came really close to doing this in Cancun. I was actually ready to plunk down $20k immediately and then 200-300 a year in maintenance. I really liked the resort and thought it would be perfect as a holiday destination. My wife and I were very close and had they given us a night to go and discuss it over dinner we probably would have done it. Instead they kept trying to close the deal immediately, anything to prevent us leaving the office.

To say the sales guy was on the floor, grabbing my leg as I tried to shuffle ever closer to the door would be an exaggeration, but not by much.

The hard sell sent up all sorts of red flags for my wife and I. To her credit she said "no, we aren't spending 20k without a talk first" and stood up to leave. The sales guy and his manager gave all sorts of caveats about how the deal may not be available tomorrow and this isn't an open ended offer.

Now in retrospect it was fiscal suicide to spend 20k up front and then 300 in maintenance a year when the rooms were 70-85 bucks a night in the offseason.

I've been back to the place twice to stay since, as I say its a great place, but there are always rooms available and its still reasonably priced.

I'm glad I didn't do it in the end. Another poster mentioned www.tug2net and I saw other people flogging the same thing I would have bought for 5-6K and to cover the maintenance.
Old Mar 26, 11, 10:54 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Why buy timeshares when you can buy residences?!? (Not joking... two SPG residences [W and St. Regis] have left me bitter)
Old Mar 26, 11, 11:12 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Sheraton Time Share........would not do it again

Greetings:

We own a Timeshare in Orlando, bought through Stawood direct five years ago.

We have used it at a Starwood Resort once, never at our" home" location in Orlando. We use it exchanging , have used it in England, New Zeeland and on Outer banks.

I would not buy one again, it is not a good investiment,we paid an amount that we will never come close to getting back, it also will cost you around 1000.00 per year in fee's and tax.

We bought ours with our eyes wide open, we were thinking of grandchilren in Orlando........The kids enjoyed Mickey Land once, then little things like horses, boy's , girls, etc shot down Mickey!

I am keeping it because it is not worth selling, will let the kids "fight" over it down the road.

To sum up....my two cents....Forget it!
Old Mar 26, 11, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05 View Post
....(Not joking... two SPG residences [W and St. Regis] have left me bitter)
Care to share why?
Old Mar 26, 11, 3:10 pm

Lots of negativity. Any yet, just today I was speaking with a neighbour who has purchased at least half a dozen timeshares over the eyars, and just returned last night from Orlando, where he bought a second SVO property to add the the first he already had at Vistana Village. A brand new one at that. He's raving about it. Clearly timeshares are very personal in term of whether they are of value. It seems to be either black or white.

Cheers,
Old Mar 26, 11, 3:11 pm

I should add my neighbour now has enough SVO timeshares (StarOptions?) that he now qualifies for lifetime SPG Platinum. So there is that.

Cheers,
Old Mar 26, 11, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Tomczak View Post
I came really close to doing this in Cancun. I was actually ready to plunk down $20k immediately and then 200-300 a year in maintenance. I really liked the resort and thought it would be perfect as a holiday destination. My wife and I were very close and had they given us a night to go and discuss it over dinner we probably would have done it. Instead they kept trying to close the deal immediately, anything to prevent us leaving the office.

To say the sales guy was on the floor, grabbing my leg as I tried to shuffle ever closer to the door would be an exaggeration, but not by much.

The hard sell sent up all sorts of red flags for my wife and I. To her credit she said "no, we aren't spending 20k without a talk first" and stood up to leave. The sales guy and his manager gave all sorts of caveats about how the deal may not be available tomorrow and this isn't an open ended offer.

Now in retrospect it was fiscal suicide to spend 20k up front and then 300 in maintenance a year when the rooms were 70-85 bucks a night in the offseason.

I've been back to the place twice to stay since, as I say its a great place, but there are always rooms available and its still reasonably priced.

I'm glad I didn't do it in the end. Another poster mentioned www.tug2net and I saw other people flogging the same thing I would have bought for 5-6K and to cover the maintenance.
This mirrors my friend's experience, except unlike Tomczak he did go ahead, plunk down the money, and take on the commitment.

Again, it is a somewhat different situation if you are talking about a resale from a current owner rather than a new sale from Starwood. But some of the same issues might crop up, such as the escalating maintenance fees that my friend has experienced. And (again, just based on my friend's experience), don't count on this as an investment that you can necessarily resell and make a profit on down the line.
Old Mar 26, 11, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I don't own a Starwood timeshare (I'm a happy Hilton owner), so I can't answer all your questions. You'll find everything you ever wanted to know about Starwood in this forum on TUG, the FT for timeshare owners:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

I do know developer prices are way too high, and buying resale is the way to go if timeshares fit your lifestyle and vacation preferences.
Old Mar 26, 11, 4:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tomczak View Post

When faced with this "hard" sale, remember if you go ahead and buy you do have a 10-day period for recission of the contract.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: