Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Beach Information

Please note that the area in front of the resort is a public beach. There is a strong current and we discourage guests from swimming in the ocean as there are no lifeguards on duty. Should you choose to swim in the ocean, you do so at your own risk. Please contact the resort for further information.

Seclusion Day Information: March 9, 2016

Nyepi is an important religious event in Bali and marks the beginning of the New Year in the Balinese Hindu calendar. In 2016, Nyepi falls on March 9. On Nyepi Day, from 6am to 6am the following day, all daily activities throughout Bali will stop. Shops and offices will be closed and people are not allowed to go out into the streets, engage in entertainment activities, turn on lights or make noise which may disturb others. Ngurah Rai International Airport will be closed for Nyepi Day. Neither departures nor arrivals are permitted on March 9, 2016.

There will be changes in hours of operation for our venues. There will be very little outside lighting during the night and there will be no transportation services to and from the resort. WET® (pool) is available for your enjoyment until 4pm; however, we request that you do not use the beach area or swim in the sea on Nyepi Day.

In addition, as per a new regulation of the Government of Bali, all television providers, including cable channels, will not broadcast during Nyepi Day. A collection of books is available at WIRED, and DVD movies and some table games are available upon request at Whatever/Whenever®. Starfish Bloo & Woobar will be closed on March 9, 2016; however, our fabulous In-Retreat Dining is open 24 hours, and FIRE is open until 10pm.

Please contact the resort directly for further information.
Print Wikipost

W Retreat & Spa Bali, Indonesia - Seminyak [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:16 am

Fantastic as always Keith!

Great review QF009...fabulous photos with passionate narrative.
Looks like I have said goodbye to Nusa Dua for good.
Thank you so much for your invaluable reports.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:30 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Excellent TR...looking forward to the rest.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:29 am

[QUOTE=QF009;16098755] Stay in Ubud if you’re a culture vulture, Nusa Dua if simply wanting to be comatose, or Kuta if completely lacking in taste or class or just want to observe bogans on their first overseas trip made possible by a Jetstar

This is one of the best descriptions of Bali I've ever seen! Totally agree re Kuta. I like how you roll. Looking forward to the rest of your report, as I've booked the 2 bedroom villa this August.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:02 pm

Wow Style
In keeping with Bali’s casual vibe, the W is laidback and comfy. Yet in the hip surrounds of Seminyak and in line with its design-focussed provenance, the W is also infused with a playful, fun-tastic and fashionable touch. The look is clean line, contemporary and cool, which should come as no surprise if you’re familiar with the brand’s signature style. Local features are incorporated subtly and tastefully, and certainly not to the point of being chintzy like the wood-heavy, quaint designs in other Balinese hotels. The design is steadfastly and unashamedly culturally agnostic. You do feel like you’re hanging out in the hottest WeHo nightspot, with little cutesy, tropical, ‘exotic country’ features to remind you that you’re somewhere different. Ws have certainly encapsulated the desires of a significant niche amongst travellers like yours truly – we simply want fashionable design and gourmet cuisine. We party hard and even harder when travelling. The brand is a successful convergence of the typical boutique design hotel experience and the functionality of a large chain hotel. The W is in many ways a destination unto itself. Glitz up Seminyak even more with international and avant garde fashion boutiques Robertson Avenue and Rodeo Drive stylie and I could literally live in the W. (In fact, their villas are actually available for purchase!)

The magic begins as you cruise up the rather lengthy picturesque driveway. The W tells you to ‘escape hectic philosophies’ and you do feel like you’re leaving the mundane behind and entering your secret, magical hideout. Every cab driver we had, whilst undoubtedly annoyed by time spent driving up and down the long driveway, were simply blown away by the W and there were lots of ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ as they navigated the driveway up to the main building.

The W Lounge has rather a nice, chilled out vibe with a reassuring amount of glitz and whimsical touches like hanna paintings on the ceiling, wind chimes and the funky egg couch. The W Lounge is in-touch with natural elements –bathed in natural light as well as refreshed by the sea breeze.

Our Fantastic Villa Retreat (translation: one bedroom villa) is similarly set up to capture natural light. The design religiously follows the latest trends in home decor, and incorporates natural elements like granite in the bathroom. Ample space all round – you can swing a cat in the massive bathroom. Super comfy bed. However I felt that the designer could have been more daring, like introducing more vivid colours as in the W Lounge rather than the rather soft, neutral tones used. Like the W Hong Kong, they’re generous with Bliss sinkside six amenities with large 125ml bottles supplied daily with another miniature set in the shower.

Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by mario33
Give me the run down Le Meridien Nirvana anytime ...
- I will second you on Le Meridien Nirvana.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:25 pm

Let’s get WET
The best bit of the villa was of course its private 49sqm infinity pool! We loved the daybed by the pool, a classic Balinese feature that’s been stylishly incorporated and re-interpreted W style. The set up was perfect for an arvo of lounging around in the sun when too lazy to do anything else. The large, purple W beach towels were liberally supplied and replaced daily.

Alternatively, for some people watching, head to WET which features several beautifully landscaped pools with stylish water features. ICE bar ensures that guests by the pool are suitably hydrated by providing an uninterrupted flow of yummy cocktails.

Old Mar 27, 2011, 8:51 pm

Who are the superstars?
Every member of the staff treated us like absolute rockstars! It is hard to single any of them out. From WHEELS to the W Lounge to the concierge to the restaurants, the service and attention we received from start to end was nothing short of flawless. It is especially impressive when you consider that the resort had only opened less than 2 weeks prior!

The 2 W Insiders went out of their way to make our visit as fun and eventful as possible. They’d planned our daily itineraries and made some great suggestions on things to do or see, and the best restaurants and bars to go to. They were also very easy to talk to. We’d canvassed topics as diverse as travel, Louis Vuitton, interior design, our fave nightspots – they could easily become your new BFFs or at least drinking buddies. They really lived up to their job title of ‘Insiders’ by knowing the ins and outs of their guests with their gutsy and ‘can do’ attitudes – being welcomed by my own Facebook profile picture was truly on the cutting edge of wow and demonstrates some great intuitiveness. We were also given interesting insights into the Retreat’s design features and their passion for their work shone through with their enthusiasm.

Special mention must also go to Whatever/Whenever who looked after us proactively. As I mentioned previously, Jetstar had left my luggage behind in Melbourne. One of the Whatever/Whenever phone agents made sure I had something fresh to wear by providing a set of fresh clothing, compliments of W The Store. The concierge staff liaised with DPS ground staff in ensuring the swift return of my suitcase and provided regular updates.

Members of the Retreat’s senior management were also keen to impress. I wasn’t sure whether it’s because of my SPG Platinum status or because we were villa guests, but all were very concerned to see how we were doing.

We also did a day tour to Ubud and Tanah Lot for some sightseeing and were able to book a 6 hour tour with our own driver in a BMW X5, per an itinerary carefully constructed by one of the Insiders. We loved the attention and constant stares as we cruised about in our BMW, and the size of the X5 made us feel rather safe in the midst of Bali’s rather, um, thrilling drivers, and our driver managed to deftly maneuver his way through the perilous looking roads and menacing drivers. There’s a saying amongst expat Aussies that sane drivers don’t get anywhere in Bali, which is rather sage advice – not that either of us are planning to try driving any time soon in Bali! Our drivers also kept us entertained along the way with indepth and knowledgeable explanations of stuff we saw. As Bali is massive and it took at least an hour or 90 minutes to get between destinations, we were also comfortably supplied with quality magazines like GQ (US edition – personally I think the production value of the US edition is far inferior to the Aussie one edited by the fab Nick Smith and his capable team).

Who wants grub?
The W has 2 fab restaurants on its premises – Fire and Starfish Bloo. We tried them both for brekky.

Fire had a nice, cozy feel. Breakfast goes from 6.30-10.30am daily, and we actually managed to wake up in time for it on the first morning of our stay, having gone to bed early the night we arrived. As you arrive, you get to choose your own cute little coffee mug. The cuisine was electic, and like all Asian hotels had an amazing egg station that made the best poached eggs. Some of the options were a bit odd for breakfast, such as duck curry, but maybe the locals like heavy brekkies. At 300 000 Rupiah per pax for an All You Can Eat spread, the cost is in line with most high end hotel breakfasts but the quality choices and ingredients made the price rather reasonable.

Whereas Fire is homely and warm, Starfish Bloo is breezy, chillaxed and uptempo. We tried Starfish Bloo for Sunday Brunch, and enjoyed the creations of chef Jack Yoss. Brunch was once again All You Can Eat Style, with additional items that can be ordered ala carte (but included in the advertised cost). The staff kept piling us with food to ensure that we could hardly walk out of the restaurant by the end of Brunch! The cuisine was once again electic, and ranged from from croissant with foie gras, to cured Iberico ham, to black truffle porridge with pork or lobster (alas no lobster for me – aren’t shellfish allergies super annoying or what?!), to both Asian and local faves. Oh and one of the best eggs Benedict I’ve ever had! Sunday Brunch was truly several different kinds of awesome, and both Jack and the Director of F&B (a delightful Scottish chap named Ian) must be congratulated for putting out such an impeccable spread. Washed down of course with an unlimited and liberal supply of bubbly and wine.

Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:03 pm

Woo, wink and sip
If you choose not to imbibe at Ku de Ta, the W Lounge is simply the place to be in the evenings. Abundant views of the beach mean unhindered spectacles of beautiful sunsets, weather permitting. Sip on delightful cocktails like the powerful Rolls Royce or my personal fave the uber yummylicious Lavender Martini whilst you watch the sun disappear behind the horizons. It’s the perfect prelude to a night out in party central Seminyak. The vibe was a little subdued however, as there were no more than a handful of guests at the W Lounge at any one time, and on more than one occasion it was just the pair of us. However it is still early days and hopefully in due course the W Lounge will attract a big crowd of regulars and ensure its status as a happening place to be.

Unfortunately Woo Bar, located right by Seminyak Beach, wasn’t open in time for our visit but it promises multi storeys of pumping nightlife. With such renowned venues as Ku de Ta, Huu Bar, SOS or The Living Room nearby, WooBar has massive shoes to fill. But I’m confident that in time, with the amount of talent and energy put into the W, WooBar will draw the crowds and give the other venues a serious sprint for their money. Situated next to WET, I can see WooBar hosting many a glamourous pool party.

Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:11 pm

W-oops!
As with any brand new hotels that are in the early stages of opening, the W did suffer from some teething problems that guests that are planning to visit in the short term should take note of. A lot of these have been passed on to senior management and were either resolved immediately or assurances that they’ll be fixed in due course were given. It has to be stressed that the basic product is simply fabulous, and these minor issues are inherent to most hotels in their opening days.

- The water pressure was rather low, rendering the rainforest shower pointless. We also ran out of hot water on the first morning of our stay but this was immediately fixed upon complaint.

- The night lights in the bathroom were a bit too bright. They’re designed to be a helpful feature to ensure that klutzes like myself do not trip over stuff or end up with bruised knees on the way to the toilet (voice of experience), but the OH is a light sleeper and found the night lights excessively bright. The staff responded by modifying the lights in such a way that the lights in the bathroom were eliminated and only our under bed lights turned on.

- The path to the villa was quite poorly illuminated, with a complete absence of light in some bits. This can be rather dangerous given the uneven and stony floorings.

- We tried to place a reverse charge call to AMEX in Australia to enquire about our level of travel insurance coverage for delayed luggage, but staff at WIRED had no clue as to the number for Indonesia’s international operator. We ended up using my cell and thus incurred global roaming charges.

- As abovementioned, W Lounge was rather quiet and thus the vibe was a little un-W. But understandably, it’s still early days and the W has to work on spreading the buzz.

- As the W is rather new, a small number of cab drivers (probably about 15%) do not know where it’s located. As is conventional in Bali, street numbers aren’t used. To direct cab drivers to the Retreat, simply tell them to go down Petitenget and the Retreat is located next to Barcode and BCCO.

- Like every other new hotel in their early days, staff can be overenthusiastic. Having to answer to “Hello, how are you? How’s your stay?” a million times in a row got a little exhausting. But in time, with more experience and confidence, I am sure the enthusiasm will come a little more naturally.

- The W vehicles played the W CDs (The Sounds of Wonderlust and Symmetry) on a constant loop and this got very old especially as we own both albums along with Warmth of Cool. A better suggestion would be to take advantage of the BMW’s iPod connectivity or hard disc space, and have one of the staff spend some time each month to upload new music for long car journeys.

- At the risk of opening a can of worms, sparkling wine rather than champagne at Sunday Brunch is unacceptable, given the massive additional premium for alcohol.

So what’s the deal?
Despite the minor teething problems, the W Retreat & Spa, Bali has to be lauded for putting out such a top drawer product and extending the brilliance of Worldwide WOW to this corner of the world. As someone who’s passionate about the success of the W brand, I wish the team well in spreading the word and making the W the number 1 choice for travellers to Seminyak.

As I persevere in my overly ambitious goal of covering all Ws around the world, which has been made more and more impossible by the brand’s ever expanding portfolio, I am at least ecstatic to be able to sample my first W Retreat&Spa – a fab concept that turns any pre-conceived notions of a resort on their head. Perhaps sampling all W Retreat&Spas instead is a more achievable goal... which is why after such a fantastic experience with the W Bali we’ve immediately inserted the W Maldives next on our list of Ws to check out!

So rad, so fab, so hip, and so totally and utterly NOW and WOW... the W Bali is ‘it.’

Until next time!
XOXO, QF009

(PS – credit for some of the pics go to my better half, who’s a far more talented photographer than I can ever hope to be.)

Last edited by Keith009; Mar 27, 2011 at 9:41 pm
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Thanks K, for the fab report! Tsk tsk on Jetstar for leaving your baggage behind! Hope Amex compensated you lots for that!

Question - did you book the W villa or was that a Plat upgrade? If the former, what was the rate you got?

I feel that its time for a visit to DPS soon though. Is the W far from say Kuta?

Hope you had a fab time.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Thanks K, for the fab report! Tsk tsk on Jetstar for leaving your baggage behind! Hope Amex compensated you lots for that!
Thanks GB!

Yeah, I get AUD700 if the bag is delayed at least 6 hours, which it was. Another $700 for >48 hours which thankfully didn't happen. But I have a feeling they're only covering expenses incurred rather than the full $700 lol. The shopping wasn't all that exciting so I only bought what I needed.

Question - did you book the W villa or was that a Plat upgrade? If the former, what was the rate you got?
Booked the one bedroom villa for their promo rate of USD299+++. The promo is still on - expires 31 March, and for stays before 30 April. Their booking engine is a little dodgy and if it's showing zero availability under this promo, try emailing or calling them directly.

http://deals.whotels.com/W-Bali-Semi...21&iATANumber=

(2nd one down)

Folks here have reported (might have been in the pre-opening thread) that they only do one category upgrades for Plats if you booked a regular room, with the ocean facing room being the maximum they upgrade to. Sadly, no upgrades to villas or upgrades to bigger villas - unless they get popular and regularly oversell I guess.

I feel that its time for a visit to DPS soon though. Is the W far from say Kuta?
Kuta is approximately 20 mins away by cab.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:28 am
Community Director Emerita

What a great report. A lot of us have been interested in this property. You've now fleshed it out in your inimitable QF009 style.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:02 am

What an excellent trip report. Well done QF009.

Consider yourself lucky with Jetstar losing your luggage. Air Asia lost mine for 9 days on a trip to China last year and they generously gave me RM50.00 or about AUD$40.00.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Great report, looking forward to checking into my villa in 10 days
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
I think the best review I've ever read on here, thanks. The Facebook photo is a little freaky, but then again I suppose they have to do things a bit out of the ordinary (if they did that in a Sheraton I'd turn around and leave!). Many things to look forward to though.

You covered most details but if you're still around to answer my rather boring questions it would be appreciated:

1) Previous posts had shown a rather unappealling beach. I'm not bothered by brown sand, more it looked like it hadn't been developed in any way with loungers, cabanas etc. Any comments on the beach (or did you get any info from managers), is it better to plan to spend lazy days by the pool?

2) Brunch sounds fantastic, I looked online and it only prices the without alcohol version. What's the uplift for booze?

3) Did you try the spa? And, more importantly, can you think of a good title beginning with W to describe it?

4) Last of all, I've stayed at the W in HK too and was very impressed - is this better, worse or much the same (but with a beach)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.