Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Left Designer Jeans in Room but "Not Found" by Fairfax DC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Left Designer Jeans in Room but "Not Found" by Fairfax DC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I left my cellphone at a hilton a couple of months ago. I realized as I was on my way to the airport. Called immediately and they said they had it and would mail it to me. Great, I thought. I called the next day to confirm, and figured it was a done deal. A week later, still nothing, so I called back. Said they'd have to look into it. The next day, the manager emailed me asking how I'd like it sent (overnight, 2nd day, etc). I opted for 2nd day. Sure enough, it finally arrived 2 days later, about 10 days after my stay. Of course, on my next credit card bill, I see a random charge of $22 from the hilton. You got it - they charged me for the shipping. No indication in the email that they would do so, else I would have chosen a cheaper option. I emailed the manager back twice about that, but no response. I was annoyed.
I've been charged for the shipping a couple times and it didn't bother me at all. It was my fault that I left my items in the hotel room so it's basically my responsibility to pay to get them back. The hotel didn't do anything wrong so why should they pay for the shipping. Also if you think they're doing you a favor by shipping it for free, why take more advantage of that by trying to make them pay for quicker shipping.

If they ship it for free, great, but I think you should always go into it expecting to pay.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:49 am

Oh dear, this thread is just going to make me more paranoid. I usually do a walkthrough of all the drawers/closets/electrical plugs twice before I check out. Now it's probably going to be at least four times...
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:09 am

I left my cellphone at a hilton a couple of months ago. I realized as I was on my way to the airport. Called immediately and they said they had it and would mail it to me. Great, I thought. I called the next day to confirm, and figured it was a done deal. A week later, still nothing, so I called back. Said they'd have to look into it. The next day, the manager emailed me asking how I'd like it sent (overnight, 2nd day, etc). I opted for 2nd day. Sure enough, it finally arrived 2 days later, about 10 days after my stay. Of course, on my next credit card bill, I see a random charge of $22 from the hilton. You got it - they charged me for the shipping. No indication in the email that they would do so, else I would have chosen a cheaper option. I emailed the manager back twice about that, but no response. I was annoyed.
You really thought they would send it second day for free?

Why?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
I left my kindle in the aloft Charlotte. They were happy to send it back to this platinum member via FedEx overnight (I didn't ask for next-day, just that they send it)...and used the credit card I had on file to cover the charges
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
You may want to call the concierge at this property and ask them to assist you. Explain your story. I've stayed there several times and have always been impressed with their service!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:31 pm
Suspended

all you guys using the or cause the Hotelcharged you to ship it back to you, whats with You guys?! After all you were the ones who left it why should any Hotel pay to send it to you, I always assume it will cost me $$ and if the item can be replaced for less then what I think it will cost to ship then I dont want it sent to me, if the shipping is alot less then the replacement cost then Im that Im saving $$ over what it would have cost me to replace it

Once a Quality Motel in Sedona, called to tell me I left my prescription glasses and they will send them to me at their cost. There werent prescription but I liked them so I said thanks and to please send them by the cheapest method as I didnt them ASAP I really wanted the case more then the glasses. Now if the hotel didnt say they were gonna pay for the shipping I would have asked them to hold onto them till I get back there , but no way would I ever expect any hotel to pay the cost of shipping to me something that I left
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Craz (love the post!):

I'm surprised that those with the and emoticons haven't also asked us for how much compensation in *wood points they should "demand"!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SOhp101
Oh dear, this thread is just going to make me more paranoid. I usually do a walkthrough of all the drawers/closets/electrical plugs twice before I check out. Now it's probably going to be at least four times...
I always do it twice, and on my last stay at the Grosvenor House, I forgot my wife's Iphone charger. I should do it 10 times now.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I must be way out of touch because I haven't heard anyone say "designer jeans" since about 1978!:
Hope they turn up anyway.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by SOhp101

Don't forget under the bed ---- I do it too!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Interesting that you were the party to leave the cellphone and as long as someone other than you was paying for the return, you needed it sent 2nd day air. However, if you had known you were paying for the return you didn't need it quite that fast.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Sounds like the non-US hotels provide better service with lost items than US hotels. I left a charge cord and adapter at the Westin Chosun and didn't even realize it once I was back in the US. I received an email from the hotel a couple of days after my stay offering to hold it for me or mail it. I was returning to the hotel 2 weeks later, so I asked them to hold it for me. When I showed up the next time, the adapter was already waiting for me in my room. Excellent service! ^
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip> Of course, on my next credit card bill, I see a random charge of $22 from the hilton. You got it - they charged me for the shipping. No indication in the email that they would do so, else I would have chosen a cheaper option. I emailed the manager back twice about that, but no response. I was annoyed.
Why would you not have assumed you would be paying for the return shipping? Why in the world should the property shoulder the cost for you not keeping track of your personal effects?

Regards
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up

DCFlyer0306 -- That is indeed excellent service!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
The desk clerks said my son should just keep it as he had found it in the room.

I explained that wouldn't be right, that the child who lost it in the sofa was probably wanting it back and that they should contact the previous occupants. They looked at us like we were poor country rubes unused to the "real" world of the big city.
Kudos to you for teaching your son to do the right thing! :-:^:-:^:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.