Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Left Designer Jeans in Room but "Not Found" by Fairfax DC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Left Designer Jeans in Room but "Not Found" by Fairfax DC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by WillR
But the story, and repeated experience, demonstrates hotels taking no responsibility and no care.
Hotels are simply not responsible for guests who do not take care of their belongings.Some Hotels will work harder than others at providing assistance but at the end of the day YOU need to accept responsibility.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
One thing I've always thought was weird about this is that luxury hotels do not call YOU when they find something valuable left behind in a room.
I left a pair of shoes at the W Dallas last summer. Hotel called promptly to let me know. How dare they disregard my privacy!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WillR
But the story, and repeated experience, demonstrates hotels taking no responsibility and no care.
There are several stories here about hotels taking FULL responsibility. If that is important to you, then only patronize those hotels which take responsibility for lost articles.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by aussiechris
Hotels are simply not responsible for guests who do not take care of their belongings.Some Hotels will work harder than others at providing assistance but at the end of the day YOU need to accept responsibility.
Of course. My point wasn't that hotels need to take responsibility. They don't. My point was that some don't even take care.

Originally Posted by formeraa
There are several stories here about hotels taking FULL responsibility. If that is important to you, then only patronize those hotels which take responsibility for lost articles.
It is, and I try to, thankyou. But I would never expect them to take responsibility ie pay for them if they weren't found. I just expect them to take reasonable care.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:51 am

Left a pair of shorts behind at the Sheraton Great Wall in Beijing. After discovering this when I got back to Berkeley, I contacted them via email. They mailed them back to me at their cost (complete with the USD$43 still in the pocket). Excellent service ^
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by SleepDoc
While yes, it was ultimately mare0114's responsibility in packing the clothes. mare0114 did contact the hotel immediately and was told they would follow up. A luxury hotel should at least follow up as promised and from what I can gather from the story they had no clue if there was any type of investigation. If it was me, I would file a complaint with corporate and go from there.
For all we know the hotel DID follow up and the next guest had already taken or tossed out the aforementioned pants.

The only one we know for sure dropped the ball here is the OP leaving this clothing behind in the first place.

Cheers,
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
I'd be shocked if the next guest took them. Jeans aren't exactly universal - odds are VERY low that they would have fit the person, been a style they liked, etc. Ditto for housekeeping wanting them.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
Left a pair of shorts behind at the Sheraton Great Wall in Beijing. After discovering this when I got back to Berkeley, I contacted them via email. They mailed them back to me at their cost (complete with the USD$43 still in the pocket). Excellent service ^
I'd give them all of my 4 thank you cards if that happened to me.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Flews
For all we know the hotel DID follow up and the next guest had already taken or tossed out the aforementioned pants.

The only one we know for sure dropped the ball here is the OP leaving this clothing behind in the first place.

Cheers,
If you read the OP's message he/she called back when the hotel did not followup. Like I said ultimately it's the OP's responsibility to pack their own clothes.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I purposely left a shirt in the garbage can at the Quito Sheraton.

I checked out and was about to get into our car when someone came running from the hotel to give me my shirt that I had left.

I couldn't tell him that I was throwing it away, so I just took it and thanked him.

I actually ended up wearing it later in the trip because it was my only semi-clean shirt at that point, so I'm glad he gave it back!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:06 pm

A hint for future rants...

Paragraphs are good.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
One thing I've always thought was weird about this is that luxury hotels do not call YOU when they find something valuable left behind in a room.
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I've found this strange also. I have been told it is a "privacy" issue.
Yeah I can definitely see the privacy concern, but I still think an e-mail wouldn't be a huge concern for SPG members, .... I tend to think this is more of a money maker for the hotel who I'm assuming liquidates the property at some point. Or also a money saver since it would take additional staff to make contact and ship the items.

If privacy is the reason, I wish there was an opt-in feature for people that are forgetful like myself.
The last two times I have stayed at SGS I have forgotten things. The first time was three pairs of khaki pants, which I had just had made at a local tailor. The second was a wireless router which I had been using in the room. Both times, I received an e-mail from Housekeeping within a day or two of my arrival home, and both times they offered to ship them or hold them until my next visit.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
When we were living in Las Vegas, my mother left her toiletries bag full of Clinique makeup in a hotel bathroom twice. Both times she figured it out by the time we got to the airport and had me call the hotel. Despite repeated calls, neither bag was ever located.

And yes, the 2nd time I picked her up I asked if she had packed her makeup bag. She assured me she had...

Do we assume housekeeping likes Clinique or throws it away?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Many years ago as a FA, I used to stay at the Cosmos and the Ukraine in Moscow. Make up was wildly popular with "housekeeping", stolen with such regularity that I would not leave my make up bag in the bathroom but would hide it instead in a drawer under clothing.

About ten years ago, when the Essex was part of SPG, the FamilyTours was staying in a suite on a five day points stay. My then 8 year old son found a GameBoy in the sofa. It was, at the moment, the hottest toy going and he had been dying for one for months. Nonetheless, he and I walked it down to the front desk to turn it in, figuring some kid was sick over leaving it behind. The desk clerks said my son should just keep it as he had found it in the room.
I explained that wouldn't be right, that the child who lost it in the sofa was probably wanting it back and that they should contact the previous occupants. They looked at us like we were poor country rubes unused to the "real" world of the big city.
Who knows? Maybe one of the desk clerk's kids wound up with a new GameBoy.
SonTours did get one for his birthday a few weeks later.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I left my cellphone at a hilton a couple of months ago. I realized as I was on my way to the airport. Called immediately and they said they had it and would mail it to me. Great, I thought. I called the next day to confirm, and figured it was a done deal. A week later, still nothing, so I called back. Said they'd have to look into it. The next day, the manager emailed me asking how I'd like it sent (overnight, 2nd day, etc). I opted for 2nd day. Sure enough, it finally arrived 2 days later, about 10 days after my stay. Of course, on my next credit card bill, I see a random charge of $22 from the hilton. You got it - they charged me for the shipping. No indication in the email that they would do so, else I would have chosen a cheaper option. I emailed the manager back twice about that, but no response. I was annoyed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.