Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwoods Moments bidding madness at the end! GREAT VALUE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

I admit I was trying to keep this a secret to avoid any bidding competition.

Wow I was targeting:

http://auction.starwoodhotels.com/cg...QcDVmQzQ%3D%3D

There were 3 packages that were identical available for the following:

-1 night at the Westin Palace Madrid including breakfast for 2.
-Transportation roundtrip to show and back
-2 Tapas Rouge tickets on April 5th for the Cirque Du Soliel show, which gets you the following:

One hour before the show and during intermission, Tapis Rouge takes you into the sensational world of Cirque du Soleil.

The Tapis Rouge VIP Experience includes:

* Preferred seating
* Access to the Tapis Rouge suite via an exclusive entrance one hour before the show and during intermission
* An array of mouth-watering hors d'oeuvres, fine wines and refreshments followed by desserts during intermission
* Unique multimedia entertainment and original music in a stunning décor with a relaxed atmosphere
* A Tapis Rouge souvenir
* A souvenir program
* Priority purchasing of Cirque du Soleil merchandise in the Tapis Rouge boutique
* Private restrooms, terrace and coat check service
This show has been sold out for quite some time as are the rest of this opening week.

What is the value of the tickets alone? They go for 199 euro EACH! With fees ect. is $280.

The Westin Palace Madrid, on my corporate rate, which is very good IMO comes to $313 for that evening. The lowest prepaid rate is $432! We must also include the breakfast for 2 in the morning which tacks on $75 I would guess. Thus I'll use my corporate rate plus $75 for a total of $388.

I value the round trip transport at around $75.

Thus the value of the 2 tickets to the Corteo Cirque Du Soleil show, 1 night in the Westin Palace Madrid, roundtrip transfers comes to $1023!

Now how much did I spend on each package? 16,000 spg points. YEAH baby! I put in the initial bid a week ago and it was VERY slow until the last 2 hours of course. The first package kept creeping up from the 14k it started at this morning. I was monitoring it the best I could from work and actually my boss called me into a meeting at the exact time the auction was closing. This means I couldn't real time track it and had to put in a proxy highest bid.

The first crept past 20k in a flash and I was putting in bids of 3-5k more each time. I topped at 40k and resisted the temptation to go any higher, instead choosing to turn my attention to the other 2 packages as I NEEDED both of them. I put in proxy bids at 30k each expecting them to fail after seeing the winning bid on the first package barely go above me at 40,500 spg points.

Congrats to the first bidder as it was hot and heavy, with the time being extended. I relented and said a quick prayer that both of my bids would win. I honestly wasn't expecting to win either, however I came back to my surprise to win both 2 and 3 with ONLY 16k spg points each. I was fired up big time as the value is 6.4 cents per point. In addition to it being a sold out event.

All in all I really love the moments and the great values you can get with your starpoints. I did the million starpoint golf tournament in Abu Dhabi in December and this looks like 2 bullseyes in a row. Thank you SPG and I look forward to my moment.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by schley
YEAH baby!
... but are you happy with your win?

Congrats schley.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Which auctions did you win??? I would love to bid on the Dubai polo match -- have always wanted to see Nacho play. But there's no way I can get there in 2 weeks. Frigging awesome offer ... I wonder what the winning bid will be.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:48 pm
Suspended

I wish you had posted this and so will you Ive seen almost every show and Corteo ranks at the bottom I almost didnt go back in after the intermission, but after feeling the same way with some of their other shows which had a GREAT 2nd act that more than made up for the lousy 1st half, I went back in

Unfortunately Corteo fell flat on its face during the 2nd 1/2 half as well, at least you will be at a GREAT Hotel IMO

also since its a big top there really arent that many seats that can be classified as being bad and you can see the face paint from almost every seat even the back row.Which isnt the case when they perform in a reg theater like in Vegas or Orlando

as for transportation well Im sure its reachable by subway and bus so 2 euros r/t if I was going

I used to get those tkts I used to get at the box office for $65 day of just w/o all the trappings which are worth not much more then a couple of bucks, now those seats are I think $125 just the seats if available so I now sit in the Cat2 section and at time seven the 1st row and save a bundle and pretty much get the same view as I would have if I paid the $125

But MAD is a great city and I LOVE the Hotel Grandaur

Hey at least you didnt keep bidding on pkg1 man that winner is some loser but doesnt even know it, but will when the show starts up

I saw it a couple of yrs ago in Orange County sitting in the center section lower area best seats ($65) and for the 2nd act there was me and 6 others over 4 rows that were full during the 1st act, and the others felt like I did Dumb for not being as smart as those who didnt return for the 2nd 1/2

the show I disliked more was Wintertuck(?) which was at Madison Sq Garden here in NY they had a long term contract and there were 1000 seats and it looked as if 990 werent sold.Im sure they are thrilled this yrw as their last yr they had to take such a beating on that show its not funny

Now if it was OVO or KOOZA then it would be a GREAT deal!!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I wish you had posted this and so will you Ive seen almost every show and Corteo ranks at the bottom I almost didnt go back in after the intermission, but after feeling the same way with some of their other shows which had a GREAT 2nd act that more than made up for the lousy 1st half, I went back in

Unfortunately Corteo fell flat on its face during the 2nd 1/2 half as well, at least you will be at a GREAT Hotel IMO

also since its a big top there really arent that many seats that can be classified as being bad and you can see the face paint from almost every seat even the back row.Which isnt the case when they perform in a reg theater like in Vegas or Orlando

as for transportation well Im sure its reachable by subway and bus so 2 euros r/t if I was going

I used to get those tkts I used to get at the box office for $65 day of just w/o all the trappings which are worth not much more then a couple of bucks, now those seats are I think $125 just the seats if available so I now sit in the Cat2 section and at time seven the 1st row and save a bundle and pretty much get the same view as I would have if I paid the $125

But MAD is a great city and I LOVE the Hotel Grandaur

Hey at least you didnt keep bidding on pkg1 man that winner is some loser but doesnt even know it, but will when the show starts up

I saw it a couple of yrs ago in Orange County sitting in the center section lower area best seats ($65) and for the 2nd act there was me and 6 others over 4 rows that were full during the 1st act, and the others felt like I did Dumb for not being as smart as those who didnt return for the 2nd 1/2

the show I disliked more was Wintertuck(?) which was at Madison Sq Garden here in NY they had a long term contract and there were 1000 seats and it looked as if 990 werent sold.Im sure they are thrilled this yrw as their last yr they had to take such a beating on that show its not funny

Now if it was OVO or KOOZA then it would be a GREAT deal!!
Having been to KOOZA, O, and Varekai I'm always excited about a Cirque show. I watched all the acts on their brief video clips and sorry you felt as if it wasn't a good use of your time. I certainly wouldn't pay $280 for Tapas Rouge tickets but I'm in luck, I don't have to they are included.^

Should I even bother to go?

Everyone has their own opinion and knowing the cost involved it would have been makes me excited. I have been under the big tent twice now and really think they have very good seats even in the cheaper sections. Should be a great view.

The Westin Palace has a great location and will take advantage of that to it's fullest.

In terms of transportation I'm sure I could walk and even save the 2 euros you would be spending but when on vacation do what makes one happy. They are providing a private car and I'm sure it is even more than $75 USD RT. Nice touch.

Will report back rest assured.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Thank you SPG and I look forward to my moment.
well done....congratulations....
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Having been to KOOZA, O, and Varekai I'm always excited about a Cirque show. I watched all the acts on their brief video clips and sorry you felt as if it wasn't a good use of your time. I certainly wouldn't pay $280 for Tapas Rouge tickets but I'm in luck, I don't have to they are included.^

Should I even bother to go?

Everyone has their own opinion and knowing the cost involved it would have been makes me excited. I have been under the big tent twice now and really think they have very good seats even in the cheaper sections. Should be a great view.

The Westin Palace has a great location and will take advantage of that to it's fullest.

In terms of transportation I'm sure I could walk and even save the 2 euros you would be spending but when on vacation do what makes one happy. They are providing a private car and I'm sure it is even more than $75 USD RT. Nice touch.

Will report back rest assured.
Unfortuantely IMO MAD and espesically The Westin will be the highlight, if U dont like the 1st 1/2 the 2nd isnt much better As for shows, Drallion and Verkayi in PHL,Allegria in Houston, Kooza and OVO in Boston, Corteo and Kooza again in Orange County, Quidam also in Boston, Ka,O,Mystera in Vegas, La Nouba in Orlando. Satlibanco in Trenton, Wintuck in NY

and Corteo along with Wintuck and Saltibanco I felt were a waste of my time & $$

That said since it seems unlike me you arent traveling soley to see the show at worst you would have wasted a couple of hrs

gonna hit Baltimore to carch Totem when they get there
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Unfortuantely IMO MAD and espesically The Westin will be the highlight, if U dont like the 1st 1/2 the 2nd isnt much better As for shows, Drallion and Verkayi in PHL,Allegria in Houston, Kooza and OVO in Boston, Corteo and Kooza again in Orange County, Quidam also in Boston, Ka,O,Mystera in Vegas, La Nouba in Orlando. Satlibanco in Trenton, Wintuck in NY

and Corteo along with Wintuck and Saltibanco I felt were a waste of my time & $$

That said since it seems unlike me you arent traveling soley to see the show at worst you would have wasted a couple of hrs

gonna hit Baltimore to carch Totem when they get there
Wow, you really are NOT a fan of punctuation. Did you use one period in the four paragraphs above? Holy cow.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Nice job, schley. Glad you got something you like. To date, I've had no luck with Moments.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Just returned from the show and it was awesome! Big thumbs up to Nadege from SPG Europe and Middle East promotions and Marc the Westin GM and Phillipe the VP from Portugal and Spain. Great time was had by all. The tapis rouge was a highlight as the food was great and the desserts were really over the top.

It was the opening night for Corteo and there were numerous famous Spainards there however I didn't know any as there was tv and reporters on the red carpet for tapis rouge entrance.

The show itself was much better than the video's. I would rank it just behind Kooza for Cirques. I thought it was very well done and the performers were so talented it doesn't get old.

The Westin is a great property and I booked 3 rooms. 1 they upgraded to an executive suite, junior suite for the other and me to a regular room. I gave the upgrades to my friends.

All in all, people the moments are top notch and the people running it certainly are very professional and genuinely nice people.

Very satisfied and can't wait for my next one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.