Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Amex $30K gold status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
SPG Amex $30K gold status

I see that if I spend $30K on my SPG Amex card in a calendar year I am supposed to qualify for gold status. Do they combine personal and buisness card spending totals to determine this or just one card or the other? Between the two cards I came up to about $29,900 last year. I wasn't really trying to make it anyway but do they give it to you anyway if you get close?

I don't really do that many hotel nights in the course of a year anyway so I am not sure how important it really is anyway. I did get the "free" stays and nights towards gold status for having each card anyway which makes it easier to earn. I also realize that most people don't see gold status as all that great anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:53 pm

Check your AMEX statements. Towards the end, it'll say how much you've spent on the card YTD, so you know how much more you need to charge. But to answer your question more specifically, no, they don't combine spend across the cards; you have to hit $30K with one card to receive SPG Gold status.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Gold status is not nearly as good as Platinum, but it can get you upgrades at some overseas properties--though it's not guaranteed and you shouldn't count on the upgrade coming through. I believe it also gets you bonus points when you stay at a Starwood.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I came up to about $29,900 last year. I wasn't really trying to make it anyway but do they give it to you anyway if you get close?
Send an email to SPG Customer Service. They did it for me!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, OnePass, SkyMiles, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
If you are close it's worth getting. We got free breakfast for 4 people at Le Westin Montreal this summer due to Gold status - definitely a nice perk when traveling with the kids!

And I agree that it appears that you need the spend on one card to qualify.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:16 pm

Any news?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott (ex-SPG) Ambassador , DCL Silver, National Exec., Hyatt Discoverist, NEXUS, Clear
Originally Posted by Okto
Check your AMEX statements. Towards the end, it'll say how much you've spent on the card YTD, so you know how much more you need to charge. But to answer your question more specifically, no, they don't combine spend across the cards; you have to hit $30K with one card to receive SPG Gold status.
Wrong.

I was comped Gold based on combined business and personal spending several years ago.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by qwsxz
Wrong.

I was comped Gold based on combined business and personal spending several years ago.
Well, you might've been lucky a few years ago, or things might've changed since then. I have both the personal and business SPG cards and I specifically called AMEX and SPG on this very point. They made it clear that spend across cards would not be combined to reach Gold. Sure enough, I had to wait until I hit $30K on my personal card. So, no, I'm not wrong.

Last edited by Okto; Feb 2, 2011 at 8:40 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.