Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

"Platinum Status: Yours to Enjoy for Another Year"

Old Jan 14, 11, 10:38 am
Original Poster

You've been there for us, and we're here for you.
We greatly appreciate the continued loyalty you've shown SPG® over the years. To return the favor, we're happy to include you in a very select group of members chosen to receive another year of Platinum Preferred Guest® status.
Thank you Starwood!! I wasn't able to travel for work this year and without double stays/nights I didn't even attempt to try to maintain my Platinum this year.. My wife and I had resigned the fact that we would drop to Gold.. Then I get this email this morning.. I was on the fence on whether to book Hyatt or Starwood for Hawaii this year and this email just solidified it.

So Thank you SPG..
Old Jan 14, 11, 10:40 am

How many nights/stays did you have this year?
Old Jan 14, 11, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP
just got the same email!!!! i only had 19 nights, due to a lot of travel places Starwood has no hotel.

Thank you Starwood this will keep me very loyal in 2011, already have 5 stays booked.
Old Jan 14, 11, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Congratulations!
Old Jan 14, 11, 10:56 am

Same here

I just got the same email as well, but upgraded to Gold. Was one stay short in 2010. Why you gotta love Starwood!
Old Jan 14, 11, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Me too!

This was surprising...didn't have many stays last year, although I am a long-time Platinum. I'm very impressed that my loyalty was recognized and it makes me want to re-double my efforts to qualify in 2011.
Old Jan 14, 11, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
While I am happy for you, things like this are deteriorating SPG very quickly. Gold is obviously worthless--available to anyone with a Platinum/Centurion Charge Card w/ Amex and so on. Just ask, and you'll be given gold status. Now, with the default 2 stays if you have an SPG Amex, I fear that Platinum is becoming watered down just as quickly. What ever happened to earning status and actually being an elite member of a particular travel program? Why do we have to make everyone feel good and included? I spent 39k at SPG properties last year, I should be treated accordingly. Someone who didn't stay at any shouldn't have the same status as me, plain and simple. Clearly, it's getting to the point that SPG need a level above Platinum that is more sacred. A few years ago, I was getting amazing upgrades at every hotel as a Plat without asking. Now, I have to argue and fight for them if I even get them at all.
Old Jan 14, 11, 1:56 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman View Post
While I am happy for you, things like this are deteriorating SPG very quickly. Gold is obviously worthless--available to anyone with a Platinum/Centurion Charge Card w/ Amex and so on. Just ask, and you'll be given gold status. Now, with the default 2 stays if you have an SPG Amex, I fear that Platinum is becoming watered down just as quickly. What ever happened to earning status and actually being an elite member of a particular travel program? Why do we have to make everyone feel good and included? I spent 39k at SPG properties last year, I should be treated accordingly. Someone who didn't stay at any shouldn't have the same status as me, plain and simple. Clearly, it's getting to the point that SPG need a level above Platinum that is more sacred. A few years ago, I was getting amazing upgrades at every hotel as a Plat without asking. Now, I have to argue and fight for them if I even get them at all.
Sorry but some people who travel and may stay 45 nights in 20 hotels get stuck with Gold where as with some programmes the accrued points would have given PLT. This is SPG'sway of rewarding loyal members.

Rant ends
Old Jan 14, 11, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman View Post
I was waiting for the first rant.

Like ExpatSomchai, I disagree. First, I agree it's a way to reward previous loyalty. Second, if someone's not staying in a SPG hotel, nobody's going to be fighting you for your Plat bennies.
Old Jan 14, 11, 2:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post

First, I agree it's a way to reward previous loyalty. Second, if someone's not staying in a SPG hotel, nobody's going to be fighting you for your Plat bennies.
I agree with this. You should be rewareded for past years loyalty. I also thinks if they under-qualified Platinum members continue to travel less, they won't take up your upgrade room.^
Old Jan 14, 11, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Until there's an official lifetime status policy, I this this is a reasonable method for rewarding long-time elites who've fallen on hard time travel-wise.
Old Jan 14, 11, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG

Like ExpatSomchai, I disagree. First, I agree it's a way to reward previous loyalty. Second, if someone's not staying in a SPG hotel, nobody's going to be fighting you for your Plat bennies.
+1

Particularly at LM Etoile
Old Jan 14, 11, 2:47 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

I'm with ExpatSomchai and Braindrain. You don't need to worry about these folks body blocking your Plat benefits. You need to worry about me and my 150+ nights. Rewarding loyalty this way is a great way to get people to work harder next year.
Old Jan 14, 11, 4:23 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Accidental Chef View Post
I just got the same email as well, but upgraded to Gold. Was one stay short in 2010. Why you gotta love Starwood!
And for me it was upgraded from gold to platinum !
Old Jan 14, 11, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
You need to worry about me and my 150+ nights.
So you are the one who is getting all the upgrades before me. I was wondering who this person was.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: