Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 Month Stay in Four Points. Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Platinum and SPG - Platinum
3 Month Stay in Four Points. Any Advice?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the SPG forum.

I will be staying in the Four Points Lagos for about 3 months total. I have already pre-booked in 10 day increments all my nights for the triple star points and I am gold.

Does anyone have any advice that I could use as to better get star points and to ensure that I get upgraded to a good room?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make friends with the manager when you get there, and ask nicely. Don't underrate the human factor!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
From the SPG T&C's:
"5.11. You will not receive any Starpoints on any Eligible Charges for any portion of a single stay in excess of 30 consecutive days, whether or not you check-out and check back-in during such stay. Effective June 1st, 2008, this will change to 90 consecutive days."

Nine 10-day back-to-back stays would be 90 consecutive days. If that's what you mean that you have, make sure that you skip a night somewhere in there.

(The wording on this clause is awkward. Do they really mean 90 "nights"? I searched the T&Cs for "nights" so couldn't initially find this clause. Next time, maybe I'll remember to search for "back-in".)
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sc flier
Nine 10-day back-to-back stays would be 90 consecutive days. If that's what you mean that you have, make sure that you skip a night somewhere in there.
It's only starting on the 91st day (night) that you wouldn't accrue points. You would still get everything for the first 90.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's only starting on the 91st day (night) that you wouldn't accrue points. You would still get everything for the first 90.
I'll believe you if Starwood Lurker backs up your claim or if someone can cite a post where he's said so previously. But that's not what the T&Cs state.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Shouldn't the T&C now say (based on previous post) "in excess of 90 consecutive days," thus a 90-day stay is OK?

I'll believe you if Starwood Lurker backs up your claim or if someone can cite a post where he's said so previously. But that's not what the T&Cs state.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:02 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
This is way it should be read:

5.11. You will not receive any Starpoints on any Eligible Charges for any portion of a single stay in excess of 90 consecutive days.

Believe it or not, the legal department says that the 30 days portion has to be left in for the time being, so that is why it reads the way it does.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Definately break up the stay and spend a day or two elsewhere every so often. Could be a good time to build status with another chain too. Plus, once you hit PLT you'll get the Platinum Amenity for each stay and earn points quicker. Plus breaking up the stay avoids the hassels of the property claiming it's still 30 limits on earning points.

Given the lenght of stay, plan on making PLT on nights, so after 50 mights you should have status, not that it buys you much at a 4P, but should help with any side trips or vaations you might make. Also, might consider calling SPG and asking if they might be willing to accellerate your status given the amount of spend you will giving them.

Good luck with the stay and don't go stir crazy.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
But that's not what the T&Cs state.
The way I read it, you don't get points for the portion beyond 90 days, and I've seen nothing that says it should be interpreted any differently. If that's not what they mean, they need to reword it. For example, removing the reference to "portion" would change the meaning to be in line with your interpretation.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
If your single stay is >=91 days/nights, U don't earn points for any portion of that stay!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:47 pm

The way I read it, you don't get points for the portion beyond 90 days, and I've seen nothing that says it should be interpreted any differently. If that's not what they mean, they need to reword it. For example, removing the reference to "portion" would change the meaning to be in line with your interpretation.
"any portion" is pretty clear to me.

But feel free to go argue with Starwood's legal team about the wording.

-David
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
This is way it should be read:

5.11. You will not receive any Starpoints on any Eligible Charges for any portion of a single stay in excess of 90 consecutive days.

Believe it or not, the legal department says that the 30 days portion has to be left in for the time being, so that is why it reads the way it does.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
How is that not clear? You get nada, zip, zero, doughnut hole per lurker's post above. Deal with it and simply thank him for clearing it up. No one can speak ex cathedra on spg issues except the pope, and on spg issues the lurker is the pope.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:05 am

3 months in Lagos? I'm sure you'll have some stories to tell after that.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:05 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
break up as many nights into 25 stays. get that as soon as you can. and if really want to work it for the plat amenity:
checkin monday at 4pts
checkout friday and stay somewhere else (another spg?)
checkin saturday at 4pts
checkout sunday and stay somewhere else (another spg?)
repeat.

the manager will LOVE you for this .

but in reality, just do what everyone else has said, check into another hotel every couple of weeks.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
The other SPG property in Lagos is a Cat 6 Sheraton. I think I would break up my stay in some other hotel, If I am in your position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.