Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W Barcelona Refuses to help Get Transport for Guests -Stranding them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Barcelona Refuses to help Get Transport for Guests -Stranding them

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Bit confused here.

Who's right ?
This is Flyertalk:
1) Anything more than two miles from the city center is way too far.
2) Us "elites" need to informed, updated, pampered, catered to and treated like royalty. (sort of like kindergarden kids)
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Bit confused here.
Who's right ?
It's in an excellent location on Ramblas. Smack in the middle of the most popular street in Barcelona.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
It's in an excellent location on Ramblas. Smack in the middle of the most popular street in Barcelona.
Hummm...it has been a while, so my memory is hazy, but can't you get to the airport by metro/subway in BCN? And aren't there plenty of subway stops in or around Las Ramblas?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Always .... always ask a day or two ahead of check-out if any special consideration needs to be given for transport away from the hotel. More often than not, they will tell you "No big." But, with the slightest chance of an issue, they will know and you can address it ahead of time.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by newbluesea
A common observance of posting here is that some expect things to be just they are " back home" NYE is a big event for many cities the world over.
I bet the OP would have experienced the same problem on NYE in Las Vegas (as I have) is one place which comes readily to mind.
You didn't actually read the OP, did you?

I was a NYC cab driver a very long time ago. If you worked NYE, you could make a ton of money. Everybody wants a taxi on NYE and cab drivers want to make money. Even if they tripled the number of taxis on NYE, there still wouldn't be enough to go around.

On the other hand, NYD is just another regular holiday. Plenty of taxis, plenty of drivers, holiday schedules for most people, no morning rush hour. It's not that busy of a day for NYC taxi drivers.

-David
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Braindrain
???

you do realize that this thread is talking about the W Hotel and not The LeM, and that the LeM is the Hotel located on LasRamblas
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Bit confused here.

Who's right ?
the W site is and I speak from experience having been there a couple of weeks ago
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flews
Sounds pretty bogus to me. The property obviously knew there would be an issue, yet did nothing about it either before or after it caused problems for many of their customers.

Cheers,
are you saying the Hotel at its own expense should have had taxis simply waiting around in case a guest wanted 1? If I was a taxi driver and knew I could make a killing by being anywhere other then near the W thats where youd find me.

since people werent looking to have a cab take them to the W area = no cabs to be found

I dont think the Hotel even has a shuttle van, and again I dont feel teh Hotel has to rent a van to shuttle its guest around , some might expect 1 to teh closet Metro station others would want nothing less then teh airport a Lose Lose situation for the Hotel

About all they should have done is have a notice up explaining that if you need a vechile to take you anywhere on a holiday you best prearrange 1, but I cant ever recall seeing such a notice by any other Hotel ever thats why I dont put Blame on this W
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You didn't actually read the OP, did you?

I was a NYC cab driver a very long time ago. If you worked NYE, you could make a ton of money. Everybody wants a taxi on NYE and cab drivers want to make money. Even if they tripled the number of taxis on NYE, there still wouldn't be enough to go around.

On the other hand, NYD is just another regular holiday. Plenty of taxis, plenty of drivers, holiday schedules for most people, no morning rush hour. It's not that busy of a day for NYC taxi drivers
The OP was having difficulty getting a taxi on the morning of New Years Day. With all the drivers working a long, busy (and lucrative) New Years Eve shift, it's hardly surprising that there are not many drivers on duty the next morning, when the city is still sleeping off its hangover.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:58 pm

The OP was having difficulty getting a taxi on the morning of New Years Day. With all the drivers working a long, busy (and lucrative) New Years Eve shift, it's hardly surprising that there are not many drivers on duty the next morning, when the city is still sleeping off its hangover.
Another great guess.

The OP said ...

Originally Posted by JBauer
I asked the taxi driver what was up and he just said: "This hotel is far from the city, no taxi wants to go here." And i saw many taxis in the city.
I can't believe the responses to the OP in this thread.

Originally Posted by craz
are you saying the Hotel at its own expense should have had taxis simply waiting around in case a guest wanted 1?
The way I read the OP, he was complaining about the apparent attitude of the staff and the managers at the hotel.

Originally Posted by JBauer
The whole- it's your problem attitude was terrible and unacceptable. ... They just stood there and said 'not possible.' Managers too...
And he goes on to explain what he did to get to the airport.

... Anyway, the story ends with us wandering down the empty streets in the harbor to find a few taxis, who were nice enough to let some guests carpool and pile in their cars to the airport.
Not sure how far the harbor is from the hotel. Close enough to walk it, I guess.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
???

you do realize that this thread is talking about the W Hotel and not The LeM, and that the LeM is the Hotel located on LasRamblas
My bad. I was thinking of the Meridien.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Staying at quite a few W's this year, I'm a bit shocked by reading this. Yes, I know the service differs from property to property, but this is a matter of helping a paying customer and/or SPG member. The way I look at it, service difference can be seen as...one property doing what is expected of them, and another property going above and beyond to help a guests stay just be that much better. Getting a taxi for the airport is something that the hotel should have arranged, I don't care if it's NYD, Christmas, Easter, Independence Day, etc.

Seems more like the hotel had the attitude of, you paid, you're checked out...now go deal with it. It's unacceptable, and quite shameful in my opinion.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
you know the bus stops right in front of the hotel (well at the street) and that takes you straight to Playa de Catalunya where you can take the airport express to BCN
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:14 pm

It is too bad the hotel did not warn you. Last time I was in BCN, it was made clear upon check-in that we should order our airport taxi the night before. And this was in the middle of the off-season.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I cant ever recall seeing such a notice by any other Hotel ever thats why I dont put Blame on this W
Well, the humble little Hilton Brussels City that I stayed at last year handed out notes to guests at check-in and posted notices in the elevators regarding an anticipated lack of taxis due to some event that was going on. Concierge desk was able to arrange guests cabs in advance ... I was very happy with this service, but I didn't think it was rocket science. I'd be disappointed if a de-luxe hotel wasn't capable of the same forethought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.