No "Welcome to Platinum" Recognition?

Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
No "Welcome to Platinum" Recognition?

I recently spent a few days in New York. As I fell asleep one night, I felt something special inside for I was going to sleep as SPG Gold, but would wake up as SPT Plat. After months of hotel hopping and promo registering, I hade finally made it!

I woke up the next morning and sure enough, I was Platinum. I could just tell by looking in the mirror that I was a changed man. Frankly, I was a bit surprised when all I found under my door was the folio since I was expecting a "Welcome to Platinum" champagne breakfast to be waiting for me. No problem, I figured, they probably want be there when they formally acknowledge my exalted status. Not wanting to disappoint, I actually went to the front desk to to check out, waiting until there was no one else around so that the entire front desk staff could participate in celebrating my my accomplishment. But the gentlemen at the desk played it very cool. He didn't even mention my new status, much less shower me with accolades, but simply asked if I had a pleasant stay. "I guess they don't want the front line folks hogging all the glory," I surmised. I'm sure there will be a congratulatory telephone call, letter, and box of chocolates waiting for me at home. When that didn't come to fruition either, I quickly checked FT. Surely one or more of the Lurkers would have created a "Welcome to Plat xlax" thread. Nope. Nada. Of course, by now I had triple checked my SPG account on line and, much to my chagrin, there was not even a form note from a Plat Concierge, much electronic fireworks. Instead, my account page now simply stated Starwood Preferred Platinum where it previously proclaimed me worthy only of gold status.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. It's like spending 4 years in college, working hard to earn a degree, but without the pageantry of graduation ceremonies. Where's the acknolwedgment? Where's the celebration? Will SPG ever acknowledge this in any way? Heck, even AA sent me a new card when I got status.

I know, we nouveau Platinum can be so tacky, but I just can't help myself.

xlax
SPG Platinum (in case you missed that part)
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Best post I have read all year. You will get a Platinum card in the mail with all of the recognition that you so desire.... well, except for the champagne and the chocolates

SPG do not recognise status changing until after your qualifying stay.Your status will be recognised from this point forward. Generally a letter from the GM welcoming you (or back as the case may be) to the hotel, as well as the choice of welcome amenity (500 points are generally favoured). Always ask if a standard select suite is available upon check in, it pays to check spg.com to see if they are on sale, the caveat being that the suite has to be clean.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:22 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
xlax... well you might not have received anything special for turning Plat...

BUT { no pun inteneded }... I got to read your above post in celebration of you joining my lofty club...so my benefit is clear!

I really hope you are inspired by your new found status here, and I truly look forward to reading more posts.

If your muse is 'disappointment', as it seems to be, then I'm sure you will find much in the way of stimulation to inspire you here

WELCOME TO THE nouveau PLATINUM LEVEL

"It's like spending 4 years in college, working hard to earn a degree, but without the pageantry of graduation ceremonies."

Domo arigato for my chuckle of the day!!!

Last edited by Barefootdr; Dec 17, 2010 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
That post raised a smile to start the morning xlax

Congratulations on the new status. Worry not, none of us will spoil the details of the surprise party that SPG have planned for you. We'll see you there though. I'll be the one holding the 'Welcome to Platinum' banner and wearing the top-secret-for-platinum-members-only celebratory T-shirt that SPG dish out to us.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:17 am

Great post xiax

Platinum status means nothing unless you stay frequently in Hotels.
Stay and enjoy!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:24 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Same thing happened to me, but after a month or so I recieved a 1000 points for earning plat.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:50 am

You don't get your bennies or secret society ring right away. The Titanium Illuminati Traveling Secretary must first confirm your status and report back to the secret lair. Once confirmed, the gifts of inclusion in this most holy of clubs will shower down upon you. You will also get a parade and a pony.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by xlax
To say I am disappointed is an understatement.
And be forewarned that the disappointment shall continue with your exalted Platinum status with every missed upgrade to a suite, every non-recognition of Plat status at check-in, and on and on and on...

When I first became a SPG Platinum (6 years ago, I think) someone on FT recommended that I kept my expectations low and to not have a "sense of entitlement" for the benies, and I will enjoy my status much more. It turned out to be an excellent piece of advice, as every upgrade, gift basket, bottles of wine, or good things that have happened to me as a Plat fell into the category of "pleasant surprises" and that's why as a top level Elite with SPG, HHONORS, and Hyatt Gold Passport, I always re-qualify first with SPG.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by xlax
I recently spent a few days in New York. As I fell asleep one night, I felt something special inside for I was going to sleep as SPG Gold, but would wake up as SPT Plat. After months of hotel hopping and promo registering, I hade finally made it!
Are you sure it wasn't something you swallowed, xlax?

Congrats, and welcome to the club!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:09 am

Wink lmao

alex
that was one of the best posts ever. you brightened up a morning in the big apple
when i made platinum i WAS given a decoder ring. then i realized if i would of bought more crackerjacks i could of gotten the new starwood tattoo that had a big P on it.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
oh good grief... really???
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Thanks for the laugh on a gray drizzly Friday morning. Glad to see that someone has the ability to take the mickey out of themselves.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Sheesh, next you will start expecting suite upgrades!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ScatterX
You will also get a parade and a pony.
Hey, I'm a new plat and I want a pony too!

xlax, thank you for this fun post. I hit platinum a few weeks ago myself and I too feel like a new man, damn the tackiness!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by kingeddy
Hey, I'm a new plat and I want a pony too!
"Due to limited supply, all Starwood Pony Gifts have been distributed this year. Please requalify earlier next year, or increase your FT post count to trade for a SPG in the Coupon Connection forum. We apologize for the inconvenience but will send you a limited edition luggage tag instead."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.