Important Notice Regarding Peak Seasons (They return for most hotels in 2011)

Old Dec 6, 10, 4:43 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Employee Level
Exclamation Important Notice Regarding Peak Seasons (They return for most hotels in 2011)

For the past two years, we suspended peak season free night redemption pricing at our Category 5-7 hotels. We thought it was very important, given the global economic climate, to do this. Prior to 2009, all Category 5-7 hotels had peak season redemption pricing in place.

With the strengthening of the economic climate, we gave our Category 5-7 hotels and resorts the option of reinstating peak season pricing to help them effectively manage their business. Approximately 65% of our hotels in these categories opted to do so, and for these specific hotels and resorts, peak season pricing will be in effect from January 10, 2011.

To help you make the most of your Starpoints, here is a link to a landing page with the list of hotels and their peak season dates. Through January 9, 2011, you can redeem your Starpoints to book free nights at these hotels for the current non-peak Starpoint rate.

https://spgpromos.com/highseason/

Thank you for sharing your travels with us.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 6, 10, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA - Global Services MM, SPG - Ambassador Lifetime Platinum
I guess this is what was next!
Old Dec 6, 10, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks for the heads-up.

This is being taken as an indication that yet another SPG point devaluation is to happen in the first half of 2012, if not even much earlier (as in 2011).
Old Dec 6, 10, 5:04 pm

I'm confused about how many weeks properties are allowed to declare as peak season weeks. I thought it was very limited, but looking at the list of properties and dates, some of them are declaring peak season for what seems like one third of the year. Is that now acceptable? What's the limit? Didn't it used to be very limited? When did that change?

Some of the properties that looked like they had long peaks, "W NY Union Sq", "W Istanbul", "Westin NY Times Sq.". There are plenty of others, these are just a few I noticed that have what looks like very long peak seasons.

It's funny how all my corporate negotiated rates seem to be heading in the opposite direction in 2011.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 6, 10 at 5:22 pm
Old Dec 6, 10, 5:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.021MM; SPG/MR Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; WoH Exp
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
looking at the list of properties and dates, some of them are declaring peak season for what seems like one third of the year.
I suspect there's no limit. I'm surprised the Hawaii properties haven't declared 52 weeks of peak season.
Old Dec 6, 10, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I won Unfortunately that other threads so called contest ,yesterday I posted I forsee an Enchancement coming that will be the restoring of Peak Season Award pts needed of cause SPG would give us something else but in the end it would mean a devaluation once again, with the spin being since the economy has gotten better

If I could only do this with the Stock Market!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15390871-post29.html

now to see what SPG will giveth to try and make up for this if anything at all
Old Dec 6, 10, 5:52 pm

Programs: SPG-Platinum, Hyatt-Diamond, AA-Platinum
Yeah some of those are crazy. The W Hollywood and the W Dallas have a lot of dates as peak season.

I'm just glad the St. Regis Deer Crest and SR Aspen didn't introduce their peak seasons.
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
William, can you please clarify if this is the answer to "Guess what's next?"
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I suspect there's no limit. I'm surprised the Hawaii properties haven't declared 52 weeks of peak season.
As best I can tell, it used to be 12 weeks, and now it's 16 weeks. (well, was 16 weeks in 2009).

See post #21, #22 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...eak-dates.html

I guess that answers my own question.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 6, 10 at 6:22 pm
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
As best I can tell, it used to be 12 weeks, and now it's 16 weeks.

See post #21, #22 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...eak-dates.html
It was 12 weeks back in 2001, I believe, and it was changed to 16 weeks at some point in time.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyunbit View Post
William, can you please clarify if this is the answer to "Guess what's next?"
If this was the answer I had in mind, I would have replaced "Guess what's next" with the url to the peak season chart in my signature.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:27 pm
Moy

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
For the past two years, we suspended peak season free night redemption pricing at our Category 5-7 hotels. We thought it was very important, given the global economic climate, to do this.
For the past year, you also "suspended" the category changes (which for most properties should have been down based on your previous algorithm). Way to go there with your stealth devaluation SPG!!!!

Let me guess, you are going to base this year's category changes on year over year (2010 over 2009) ADR increases rather than 2010 over 2008 ADR DECREASES? Pathetic and sleezy if you ask me. Not you SPG Lurker, you're just the messenger, the sleezy ones are the suits up in the corner offices.
Old Dec 6, 10, 7:04 pm

With the strengthening of the economic climate, we gave our Category 5-7 hotels and resorts the option of reinstating peak season pricing to help them effectively manage their business. ..
Out of curiosity how does point redemption difference help to manage business? SPG reimburses hotels based on category and not on actual number of points needed, correct? It should make no difference to the property if we pay 12 or 16K/night - am I right?
Old Dec 6, 10, 7:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.021MM; SPG/MR Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; WoH Exp
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
SPG reimburses hotels based on category and not on actual number of points needed, correct?
I would expect them to get more for a peak season redemption.
Old Dec 6, 10, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Originally Posted by craz View Post
I guess I won Unfortunately that other threads so called contest ,yesterday I posted I forsee an Enchancement coming that will be the restoring of Peak Season Award pts needed of cause SPG would give us something else but in the end it would mean a devaluation once again, with the spin being since the economy has gotten better:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15390871-post29.html
---------------------------------------------------------

That "other threads" OP says congrats to Craz for nearly correctly guessing what SL had in mind for us...

OH NO, wait a minute, this just in from the man himself.....

********************************wood FLASH NEWS:

If this was the answer I had in mind, I would have replaced "Guess what's next" with the url to the peak season chart in my signature.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
So sorry Craz, looks like something else is on the horizon for us. But this OP {from that other thread} still thinks you were spot on in your thought process, so I'm giving you a anyway for a great effort in posting!!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: