Dropping Starwood Platinum

Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hawaiian Platinum, Starwood Platinum, United 1K
Cool Dropping Starwood Platinum

After 5 years of being a Platinum Starwood member, I have decided to move to Hilton. I just spoke to the representative of the W hotel in Chicago about what I will receive on my upcoming stay there, and was told " a bottle of water, and free Internet".

Whether it's not getting upgraded or the club floor lounges being closed, I have had to pull hairs to get the benefits that I was promised for over 50% of my stays at Starwood hotels in USA and Japan. My colleague is a Hilton Diamond member, and whenever we stay at any Hilton properties, breakfast is included, as well as upgrade in room, free Internet, and early check in/late check out when available.

Sadly, there are some Starwood properties in Europe, Taipei and Australia where I've experienced great service, and who automatically knew how to treat a Platinum members, without being asked. I will miss them, but will be looking forward to privileges of the Hilton Hotel chains.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Why don't you actually complete your stay in Chi and see what you get?

Good luck on your new horizons.

EDIT - I see you've been a FT member for 3 years, and this is your first post. If you were so dissatisfied along the way, why not solicit this forum for help/opinions?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:58 pm
Suspended

OP as others have already posted what were you expecting from the Ws? that is sort of like if I flew UA alot between JFK & IAD and never got an UP and always had to gate check my carry-on thusly Ive decided to switch Carriers to 1 that will show me some respect.(In case you dont know UA uses the CRJ-200 on that route which is Only Coach and no overhead bins to speak of)

Now if you think Hilton will be better by all means go for it, but I can tell you being SPG Plat, Marriott Plat and Hiliton Diamond I list them in that order with Hilton being on the bottom but Marriott not being much above Hilton With SPG blowing them both away, and that doesnt mean SPG is taht good more that Marriott & Hilton are that bad

So look over them all and go with whichever can offer you what will keep you smiling
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
OP -welcome to FT and your first post! Yes, it is frustrating to have to "fight" for your benefits but these days it appears there are more and more stories on every chain about folks not getting all of the promised benefits. I keep three top level status in three different hotel chains so that I have options. You may want to consider doing the same. Good luck and do post back after your actual stay at this property and your upcoming Hilton stay.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Agreed. Exactly what were you expecting from this post, humu? As Cheap Elite said, Ws don't have lounges, and suite upgrades are based on availability for your entire stay at the time of checkin, not at the time of your call in advance of arrival. It is well documented on FT (anecdotally) that suite upgrade percentages vary by region and property. And I also agree with UA-NYC that you could have sought help here, -- the FT community is very generous with suggestions and assistance, and Starwood is in a very small minority of providers which has Lurkers who (as far as I can tell) check the Starwood threads at least once/day. Perhaps William or Thyetus could have assisted you.

But to each his own. I wish you good fortune with Hilton, and safe travels always.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:56 pm
Suspended

I've stayed at the W Chicago twice and once was in their presidential suite and the other time in a decent suite. Sorry, i can't figure out their suite names, but nice upgrades both times.

Most of my stays are in Europe where the upgrades are pretty good or at lax airport hotels where either the Sheraton or Westin do the trick. I made the switch from Hilton to Starwood back when Starwood was the only group to have blanket award availability so maybe I am just lazy in not seeing if there is something better, but in the old days I found my HHonors points constantly getting smaller and hard to use. YMMV.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
W's offer late check out as well so I am confused to how you left that out? Also Hilton as for Starwood only upgrades based on availability?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by humu
After 5 years of being a Platinum Starwood member, I have decided to move to Hilton. I just spoke to the representative of the W hotel in Chicago about what I will receive on my upcoming stay there, and was told " a bottle of water, and free Internet".
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I've stayed at the W Chicago twice and once was in their presidential suite and the other time in a decent suite. Sorry, i can't figure out their suite names, but nice upgrades both times.

Most of my stays are in Europe where the upgrades are pretty good or at lax airport hotels where either the Sheraton or Westin do the trick. I made the switch from Hilton to Starwood back when Starwood was the only group to have blanket award availability so maybe I am just lazy in not seeing if there is something better, but in the old days I found my HHonors points constantly getting smaller and hard to use. YMMV.
Please note: There are 2 W Hotels in Chicago: Lakeshore and City Center.
Which one are both of you referring to?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (1.4MM), SPG Platinum, Hertz PC, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by humu

Whether it's not getting upgraded or the club floor lounges being closed, I have had to pull hairs to get the benefits that I was promised for over 50% of my stays at Starwood hotels in USA and Japan. My colleague is a Hilton Diamond member, and whenever we stay at any Hilton properties, breakfast is included, as well as upgrade in room, free Internet, and early check in/late check out when available.

Sadly, there are some Starwood properties in Europe, Taipei and Australia where I've experienced great service, and who automatically knew how to treat a Platinum members, without being asked. I will miss them, but will be looking forward to privileges of the Hilton Hotel chains.
Higher-end starwood properties are generally nicer, and a better point/$ conversion; so if you are using points for personal vacation you may be missing out on the r&r so desperately needed to recover from all of the business travel!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
My wife and I stayed at the W City Center month before last, redeemed two "free weekend nights". As PLT our room was upgraded to a roomy suite (without requesting it). Room was nicer than most all Hiltons I have stayed in. We also got 4 pm checkout.

I get upgraded to suites or club floor about 90% of time and get free breakfast over half the time with SPG.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I am both a SPG Platinum and HH Diamond. I can tell you that in my experience SPG is much more consistent in their benefit delivery than Hilton.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I am both a SPG Platinum and HH Diamond. I can tell you that in my experience SPG is much more consistent in their benefit delivery than Hilton.
Ditto here. I also find SPG properties significantly better than Hilton.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by aussiechris
Please note: There are 2 W Hotels in Chicago: Lakeshore and City Center.
Which one are both of you referring to?
Self delete. Thanks for the update humu.

Last edited by CNWO4LIFE; Nov 29, 2010 at 4:19 am
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I've been HH Diamond for ten years and I am just completing my first year as SPG Platinum. I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters above that Starwood offers better top tier benefits and provides them more consistently. The only reason I stay on with Hilton is better small and mid-sized market coverage in key cities(Knoxville for example) that I frequent.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: TWA Platinum Ambassador, Eastern Stratosphere, NWA Gold Elite
If you are traveling on business and your employer will not cover breakfast or internet, you will have to deal with those limitations of your employment.

But those limitations reside with your employer, not a hotel chain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.