Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W Paris Opéra, Opening Feb 14 2012: preopening discussion (category 7)

W Paris Opéra, Opening Feb 14 2012: preopening discussion (category 7)

Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
I do believe that the Hôtel Costes will remain the place to be for the fashion world, and Mandarin Oriental, through its location, will be another important spot. Maybe the W hotel will compete with hotels like Pershing Hall (but which has a much better location).

People who used to stay at the Ritz will go to Le Bristol, Plaza Athénee and Meurice, but certainly not to W. The trend is also for the fashion world to move to luxury appartments like La Réserve, to have a more private experience.

I am not quite sure that the W brand is as hype as it was when it was launched.
Many hotels have innovative design now. And luxury hotels like Mandarin Oriental Barcelona not only have superb design but also quality of service, W hotels have not always.
The style of W hotels is stuck to 90s ... And became somewhat a copy and paste. In another word too déjà vu to be hype in capital of fashion.
Thanks for the thought-provoking post! ^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
I do believe that the Hôtel Costes will remain the place to be for the fashion world, and Mandarin Oriental, through its location, will be another important spot. Maybe the W hotel will compete with hotels like Pershing Hall (but which has a much better location).

People who used to stay at the Ritz will go to Le Bristol, Plaza Athénee and Meurice, but certainly not to W. The trend is also for the fashion world to move to luxury appartments like La Réserve, to have a more private experience.

I am not quite sure that the W brand is as hype as it was when it was launched.
Many hotels have innovative design now. And luxury hotels like Mandarin Oriental Barcelona not only have superb design but also quality of service, W hotels have not always.
The style of W hotels is stuck to 90s ... And became somewhat a copy and paste. In another word too déjà vu to be hype in capital of fashion.
Will be interesting to see who will frequent the W. If they try to appeal to a mostly US-American audience, I do see it working.

With more conservative old world customers, who appreciate a bit more substance, I do see some problems and share your fears 100%

Quite frankly, I do not expect the W to be able to compete with other chain and independant hotels offering classic, old fashioned service in the Euro 500-1000 range.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I agree that the established fashion crowd with stick with Costes as always and perhaps the MO due both to its reputation and location. However the new kids will want the W. And we don't know what behind the scenes corporate sales efforts will be going on with Starwood offering great deals to stay at the W Paris, London, NYC, etc.

That said, I do expect the prices for this new hotel will settle later on at well under €300.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by stimpy

That said, I do expect the prices for this new hotel will settle later on at well under €300.
Define well under 300 euros.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
We will very likely not see rates well below Euro 300.

W has a different strategy in Europe, so expect rates to be around Euro 450, +/- 10-15% during high/low demand periods.

Considering the size of the hotel and the positioning, rates starting well below Euro 300 would actually translate into failure, even in low season ( if something like this exists for such a hotel in Paris )
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
Define well under 300 euros.
Well I can get into Le Grand hotel for around €250 at non-peak periods on corporate rates. I might expect the same from the W, perhaps in its second year. But it's all just a guess. And of course the general economy may have something to do with it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
At least it's not trying to compete with the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome and its rates. Both are in near areas, but the PH's rate is typically 600-800 Euros.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We haven't seen the W yet, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not going to be anywhere near as luxurious as the PH.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I think (despite it being a W) that this place might be a hit with families with young children (well, maybe with just one young child). They dont charge for kids under age 12 (in existing bedding -- so we're talking about toddlers not 11 year olds). Almost every other hotel in Paris has a rate increase of 100% the moment you add the 2+ yo kid to a reservation.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paullevi
Almost every other hotel in Paris has a rate increase of 100% the moment you add the 2+ yo kid to a reservation.
This is why I never tell the hotel in advance that I am bringing a toddler. I book for two adults, just show up and never have a problem.

I seriously doubt a lot of families will be staying at this W.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'd love to see W Paris under 300 but I don't think that'll happen during this decade.

The current Lowest Standard Rate is 555 euros a night. The Fantastic suite (which is 32m2 btw...) is 765e / night.

I agree that Hotel Costes is here to stay for the fashionistas. Time will tell if W is suited for Europe. I see it more as a brand that would appeal to the Russian (with W St Petersburg already open) and Asian clientele. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy W in Asia and cannot wait for W Bangkok!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I don't see the W being under 300 euros at any point in the near future at all. Perhaps during low season on some promo it will average out to around 300 but "well under 300" is simply not going to happen IMO.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by stimpy
This is why I never tell the hotel in advance that I am bringing a toddler. I book for two adults, just show up and never have a problem.
Seems like a risky and somewhat dishonest move. Pass. Wouldnt recommend people show up in Paris (in my case, arriving after 11pm) with toddler and no reservation reflecting that.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paullevi
Seems like a risky and somewhat dishonest move. Pass. Wouldnt recommend people show up in Paris (in my case, arriving after 11pm) with toddler and no reservation reflecting that.
Well my record is something like 100-0 so it's hardly risky. And I think it's rather foolish to think its dishonest when you are paying a lot of money for the room. It can't be considered stealing. And what's the worst that would happen? Really?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Paris, there are so many good hotels- it is one of the most competitive markets around for the high end- and while fashion week will indeed help this hotel- it really isnt that many room nights, and I am not sure if this hotel will attract away from long time favorites like the PA, Four Seasons, Bristol, etc etc.

Rates in Paris in general have been very high in the last few years- so it is doubtful we will see a lot of discounts here- however the rooms do look very small for the rates being charged.

I am curious what happens with this hotel. Personally I have stayed twice at the Costes and really did not think it was anything so special- on the other hand the Four Seasons George V may be my very favorite city hotel in Europe and maybe worldwide. It is THAT special, and I am not even that big of a Four Seasons fan generally. The MO is supposed to be quite a design hotel as well, and I have noticed they have already had a number of VIP type events there- so there are other newcomers entering the market.

Going head to head with Ed Tuttle classic design of the Park Hyatt should also be interesting- most W hotels I have seen are too dark and have a design that looks like a cool but slightly faded disco- which is not really that inspiring. I am curious about the restaurant however- this may be interesting if it is pulled off well.

With the exception of Chicago I have also found that the Whatever service is seriously lacking for what I would expect at a hotel where I would be paying 800 EUR a night for a junior suite. Especially compared to some properties in Paris where the service is truly outstanding.

Looking forward to the first trip reports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.