FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1142612-sheraton-tribeca-new-york-master-thread.html)

SensFan Oct 31, 2010 11:13 am

Sheraton Tribeca New York [Master Thread]

I just completed a one night stay at the Sheraton Tribeca. Overall it was a good stay. The staff were all very friendly. I didn't have the chance to explore the whole property but here are my thoughts on what I did see.

Location - About a block from the Canal St subway station (ACE lines). I liked the location because it was a nice starting point to walking to Brooklyn for some pizza and then an easy subway ride back.

Checkin - I was given a small gift box with two chocolates as a welcome gift in addition to my platinum amenity. I was initially upgraded to a deluxe room but was given a suite upon request.

The agent mentioned that it was a studio suite and not a true suite. I don't know if there are any true suites.

Room - The room does not waste very much space. It is an L shaped room. You walk in and the bathroom is on your left and then on the right there is a small table and a sitting area all the way to the windows with a couch and a couple of chairs. On the left past the bathroom is the bed. There is a desk in front of the window which is also where the TV is located.

The TV is awkwardly placed. If you are lying in bed you have to look to the left to watch it. If you are in the sitting area it is very far away. It also doesn't swivel which would make it more useful if you are in the sitting area.

There was a basket filled with chips and Coke that was meant for the previous guest but I enjoyed it anyway. Apparently this is one of the few SPG properties in NYC that serves Coke.

If you like to unpack your bags then this isn't the place for you. There is a closet over by the bed but I didn't notice a dresser with drawers anywhere which is too bad.

Bathroom - The bathroom is not that big. There is a good sized vanity with one sink (quite a bit of counter space), a toilet and a large shower stall. The shower had good pressure.

Amenities were as follows: shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, loofa, body lotion and shaving cream.

Club lounge - The lounge is very nice. I was there on a weekend and thought it would be closed but luckily it was open. There is an outdoor deck that is really the standout feature of the lounge. There are great views of midtown from the deck.

They serve hors d'oeuvres in the evening and breakfast in the morning. I didn't have a look at the evening fare but the breakfast was a pretty good spread. There was your standard continental fare along with eggs, sausage, bacon, home fries and some other hot mush (probably oatmeal).

Checkout - I couldn't find an option for video checkout so I had to checkout at the front desk. Again, the agent was very friendly.

Glitches - There were a couple very small glitches with my stay that will get ironed out as time goes on. My key card did not work on the club lounge door so I had to be let in by the attendant. The second one was that the folio did not know that I was an SPG member. I was told at checkout that it was a glitch and that my number was there.

Overall - The hotel is very nice and provides a good alternative to the hustle and bustle of other parts of town. The staff is very friendly and helpful and will do whatever they can to make you enjoy your stay.

leonard016 Dec 1, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for the review! This is one of the new opened SPG properties in NY that I am interested.

FatManInNYC Dec 3, 2010 2:14 pm

[QUOTE=SensFan;15047387]I just completed a one night stay at the Sheraton Tribeca. ...QUOTE]

Excellent review, SensFan, I'm wrapping up a five-night stay here and most every sentence written above mirrors my experience, including the delayed upgrade to a studio suite, the key-card problems and the appreciation of the great view from the lounge.

No chip basket left behind, and no welcome chocolates ...

I would add: if this weren't NYC, this would be a Cat 3, akin to a nice Courtyard by Marriott or a Four Points by Sheraton in Asia.

But, it is NYC and it can get the rates that sustain a cat 5 rating, so ...

Safe Travels.

ETA: The TV in my room is on a swivel, so as to watch it directly from the bed and then from the couch. Perhaps someone is lurking? :)

Lounge patio view of Midtown

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5005/...87f4e55d_z.jpg

hotelfanatic Dec 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC (Post 15375848)

Nice picture! I noticed the building with the needle (left of the Empire SB) was blue last night. Looked really nice.

I just wanted to add if you are a light sleeper, do not stay on the club lounge floor as the doors are always opening and closing. Also, do not stay in a room facing east towards Canal. Is just way too noisy. I would ask for one facing south (directly at the building next door).

As mentioned above, breakfast is better than most US base sheraton lounges. Evening fare was ok. You can always go to Chinatown or little Italy up the street for a meal.

NDDomer86 Dec 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic (Post 15452245)
Nice picture! I noticed the building with the needle (left of the Empire SB) was blue last night. Looked really nice.

This building is One Bryant Park, the new Bank of America tower.

john11111111111 Dec 15, 2010 10:39 am

Is it right next to DeNiro?

tjk1976 Dec 15, 2010 11:58 am

I spent two nights here in early December and was pleased on all fronts. True to Sheraton standards, it was clean with courteous staff and I received an automatic Plat upgrade to a view room on a high floor. They also worked hard to find a vacant suite for me on the second night, but to no avail. The Club Lounge is decent, if on the expensive side (I found drinks were cheaper in the lobby lounge). Being a brand new Sheraton, the property has the most current brand design scheme (Microsoft Link centre in the lobby, etc.). My only gripe, and it is by no means a failure of the hotel, is the seedy area that the hotel is located in.

AndrewT84 Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm

I never really considered the Sheraton Tribeca...just because I'm used to being near the HK area for friends, shows, etc. But after reading a few of these comments and seeing how close it really is to the ACE, I think I'll give it a try in the future if the price is a bit less than the Westin/W/LPM/etc.

sapguy Dec 16, 2010 5:53 am

Originally Posted by tjk1976 (Post 15455730)
My only gripe, and it is by no means a failure of the hotel, is the seedy area that the hotel is located in.

While Canal Street, aka Chinatown and Little Italy, would be a bit seedy, it's not that bad.

I'm trying to decide between this Sheraton Tribeca and the Sheraton Brooklyn at MetroTech Center. Which one should I choose?

KENNECTED Dec 16, 2010 5:56 am

Originally Posted by tjk1976 (Post 15455730)
I spent two nights here in early December and was pleased on all fronts. True to Sheraton standards, it was clean with courteous staff and I received an automatic Plat upgrade to a view room on a high floor. They also worked hard to find a vacant suite for me on the second night, but to no avail. The Club Lounge is decent, if on the expensive side (I found drinks were cheaper in the lobby lounge). Being a brand new Sheraton, the property has the most current brand design scheme (Microsoft Link centre in the lobby, etc.). My only gripe, and it is by no means a failure of the hotel, is the seedy area that the hotel is located in.

Seedy? Dude this is NYC, not the 'burbs.

Urban cities are made up of various neighborhoods, many ethnic. That is the appeal of the big city, it's not white washed with tacky McMansions!

tjk1976 Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 15460683)
Seedy? Dude this is NYC, not the 'burbs.

Urban cities are made up of various neighborhoods, many ethnic. That is the appeal of the big city, it's not white washed with tacky McMansions!

Oh, Cheap Elite, when will I learn to be more specific? :p Seedy compared to other *wood offerings in Manhattan such as the Parker. Really, you don't think Canal Street is seedy? :D

KENNECTED Dec 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by tjk1976 (Post 15463009)
Oh, Cheap Elite, when will I learn to be more specific? :p Seedy compared to other *wood offerings in Manhattan such as the Parker. Really, you don't think Canal Street is seedy? :D

No I love the grit of big city neighborhoods! It's called character. I love it!

I can't imagine what you would think of Manhattan before it was mall-ified. Or the old Times Square before it was disney-fied!

tjk1976 Dec 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 15463106)
No I love the grit of big city neighborhoods! It's called character. I love it!

I can't imagine what you would think of Manhattan before it was mall-ified. Or the old Times Square before it was disney-fied!

I suppose to some, pan handlers, people selling fake designer wear from tables on the sidewalk, and people getting arrested constitutes character, to others, it's just seedy. ;)

sciguy0504 Dec 16, 2010 3:26 pm

There are few, if any, places in Manhattan I would call seedy or feel unsafe.

sapguy Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sciguy0504 (Post 15464259)
There are few, if any, places in Manhattan I would call seedy or feel unsafe.

Agree completely!

Manhattan is not to be confused with Rio and the favelas :D