Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Recommendation needed for Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC~SE, Marriot-Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive, Hertz PC
SPG Recommendation needed for Hawaii

Hello All,

Looking for a SPG hotel in Hawaii for a 1st time trip have done some searching and reading on reviews but want to get any input or feed back from the forum, looking to go in October.

Thanks.!!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by spddemn
Hello All,

Looking for a SPG hotel in Hawaii for a 1st time trip have done some searching and reading on reviews but want to get any input or feed back from the forum, looking to go in October.

Thanks.!!
You don't mention what island you are going to??
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Sheraton Waikiki is one of my personal faves. ^ Say hi to Dianne and Trish, the world's best waitresses, at the pool bar if you go.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC~SE, Marriot-Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive, Hertz PC
Flying into Honolulu
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I spent a week splitting between the Royal Hawaiian and the St. Regis Princeville and to me it just depends on what you're looking for. I personally preferred the St. Regis because I like to relax on the beach and play golf. This hotel was perfect for that and my SO and I loved it.

The RH was nice too, but it was WAYYY too crowded on the beach for us to enjoy it very much. By 9am nearly all the chairs were taken both days we were there. The hotel itself was really cool and the food and drinks were excellent. There were also a lot of high-end shopping right around the hotel and numerous restaurants, bars, and clubs.

We were glad we went to both since this was our first trip, but when we go back we'll probably just stay at the St. Regis.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Flying into Honolulu
And....staying there, or moving around?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Hadn't thought of moving around, prefer to just get to a hotel/resort unpack and unwind and enjoy. So pretty much planned on staying on Oahu. But willing to take an island hopper if there is a more desirable location to stay at.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
RH all the way

we spent Labor Day weekend at the RH - our first time and absolutely loved it - the view from the beach is so fantastic - it's that postcard view of Diamond Head and the rest of Waikiki.

That being said, the Westin just down the beach looked nice as well. I think for both you'd want to be in the main building, not the tower.

The beach definitely gets crowded but sink into a good book and you forget about it - the water is also great - shallow a long ways out.

We can't wait to go back, RH for sure if you are in Honolulu.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Just watch out for the new (and very upsetting) Resort Fees now being applied
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
The Westin Moana Surfrider has treated this Platinum and many others quite well with oceanfront suite upgrades

Then again YMMV.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
willing to take an island hopper if there is a more desirable location to stay at.
It depends on what you like, but we find that any other island is better than Oahu if your schedule supports it. Our favorite island is Kauai (which would probably favor the St. Regis Princeville), with the Big Island as our second favorite (don't know the Starwood options there). Maui is also nice, but we find it a bit too touristy.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It depends on what you like, but we find that any other island is better than Oahu if your schedule supports it. Our favorite island is Kauai (which would probably favor the St. Regis Princeville), with the Big Island as our second favorite (don't know the Starwood options there). Maui is also nice, but we find it a bit too touristy.
+1. That said I'm coming from NYC, so I don't need the high end shopping. But personally I think Waikiki beach is one of the most overrated beaches you'll ever find.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
+1. That said I'm coming from NYC, so I don't need the high end shopping. But personally I think Waikiki beach is one of the most overrated beaches you'll ever find.
To be honest, I don't think I've ever stepped on the sand at Waikiki Beach. There are just so many better beaches in this State.

If you've got the energy and the money, take an interisland hop to Maui and stay at one of the Ka`anapali Beach Starwood resorts.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Depending upon your length of stay, you might try 2 islands. I've been to Hawaii 40+ times and have stayed at almost all of the Starwood properties. One of the advantages of being in LA.

If your trip is 4 days or less, I would stick with Oahu (Waikiki). Oahu has a lot to offer once you leave the Honolulu area. The rest of the island is not a tourist trap like the Waikiki and Honolulu area. Rent a car and go exploring. You can do something different each day of your visit. Would also highly recommend the Westin Moana Surfrider. It's in a great location and renovated about 2 years ago. Try Dukes canoe club for breakfast right next door.

If you're going for 4-7 days, I would highly recommend spending a few days on Oahu and a few days on a different island. My first recommendation would be Maui and staying at the Westin Kaanapali. Second recommendation would be Kauai and staying at the Sheraton Princeville. The Princeville is on the north part of the island so it can feel a little secluded. Most of the other resorts are on the south part of Kauai.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 4:41 pm

the range

spg properties in waikiki range from low (princess kialani), sorry for spelling, to high the pink Royal Hawaiian with the westin and sheraton on the beach somewhere in between. PK costs less points but has very little view, and is nothing more than a basic hotel (resort...bah). I agree Waikiki beach is overcrowded, parking is overpriced and hard to find, and its very touristy (in a big city way). When we stay there we get up early and head over the mountain to Lanakai which is a totally different scene, very relaxing and uncrowded beach tucked into a quiet neighborhood. Its a pain in the butt to find the first time but if you do you will go back again. we come back to waikiki for dinner at one of the many, many overpriced resteraunts there.(think NYC prices) We sometimes skip the hotel (and resort fee) and rent a private condo from the owner at VRBO...there are tons of units there at good prices with full kitchens and twice the space of a hotel room.
If it's your first time there is enough on Oahu to fill a vacation...do the tourist things: see a luau, go to the battleship memorial, take a circle island bus tour, go to the stadium for the big flea market there, go to Hanauma bay and learn to snorkel (awesome). Helicopter tours are a great way to see an island. Dec- April there are whales to see. there is a magazine called 101thingstodo find it online and get them to send you a copy.
Maui no ka oi means Maui is the best...I agree its got a good laid back vibe.
private condo is the best way to go on Maui.
Kauai is the "country island" with wild chickens all over the place and more than a few tourist hating locals. Not much to see or do on that island, comparatively. If i went back and stayed at SPG I would probably stay on property the whole time. Maybe venturing to poipu beach once or twice.
Going to the big island for the first time this march but after reading the reviews on trip advisor of the sheraton keauhauo other than seeing manta rays it has little going for it. they describe the place as old and overpriced. I will be staying elsewhere.The island is huge and it takes hours to drive anywhere, not much to see except the volcanoes.
with the additional fees, high prices, and lack of participation in promotions, the aging Hawaiian SPG properties dont have a lot to get excited about. shop around Waikiki has had a lot of construction in the last decade and many hotels have been renovated, many new condos for rent there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.