Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

No SPG points on alcohol in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts or Oregon (updated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No SPG points on alcohol in California, Hawaii, Massachusetts or Oregon (updated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly

My question is about earning SPG points in restaurants when not staying at the property.

Last week, I was at the Westin Market St in SF. Some buddies and I walked down to the Palace for drinks at the Pied Piper (aka, Maxwell's). We had several rounds of drinks.

When I paid the bill, I also gave the bartender my SPG card. He had no idea what to do with it ..... he asked around, and no one had any idea they a member could earn points.

So, I called SPG the next morning. I was advised that at many properties, the restaurants/bars do not participate in SPG .... but the PLAT concierge checked the T&Cs to confirm that Pied Piper did participate.

However, when she called the Palace and spoke to someone at the property, she was advised that per California law, the purchase of alcoholic beverages can not qualify for amenity points.

HUH?

William -- what's the real story?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kevinsac
My question is about earning SPG points in restaurants when not staying at the property.

Last week, I was at the Westin Market St in SF. Some buddies and I walked down to the Palace for drinks at the Pied Piper (aka, Maxwell's). We had several rounds of drinks.

When I paid the bill, I also gave the bartender my SPG card. He had no idea what to do with it ..... he asked around, and no one had any idea they a member could earn points.

So, I called SPG the next morning. I was advised that at many properties, the restaurants/bars do not participate in SPG .... but the PLAT concierge checked the T&Cs to confirm that Pied Piper did participate.

However, when she called the Palace and spoke to someone at the property, she was advised that per California law, the purchase of alcoholic beverages can not qualify for amenity points.

HUH?

William -- what's the real story?
That is not uncommon. Several states prohibit that which is probably why Starwood has this in their T&C's for SPG (emphasis added):

5.3. “Eligible Charges” are charges incurred by you on your room account for Eligible Rates, food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law), direct dialed telephone and direct-dialed in-room fax, laundry/valet, and in-room movies and video games only.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I had no idea that California had such far-reaching authority to regulate the price of alcoholic beverages - especially in bars.

I know many states have liquor laws about giving away free alcohol (or effectively doing that with "penny pitchers", etc.), but you'd think a 9-12% discount off of the price of hotel drinks would not approach that part of the law.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I know for sure that I have gotten points on alcohol, but I think it is stated somewhere, that we are not supposed to on alcohol.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's possible that you may not be able to get the points if you only purchase drinks, but you would if you also purchase some food.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I produced my SPG card at the Sheraton Grand SMF for our drinks in the bar. Only drinks. Was given the chit showing my SPG number and spend. In the end no points posted to my account.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I don't believe it. If CA was a state that didn't allow rebates on liquor, I'd believe it. But they do.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

California also prohibits alcohol sweepstakes.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sc flier
I don't believe it. If CA was a state that didn't allow rebates on liquor, I'd believe it. But they do.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
California also prohibits alcohol sweepstakes.
sc flier, maybe now you'll believe it. This is from SanDiego1K's link (thanks SanDiego1K):

No licensee shall, directly or indirectly, give any premium, gift, or free goods in connection with the sale or distribution of any alcoholic beverage...

That would seem to cover the awarding of SPG points. A rebate is a reduction in price and probably escapes the above clause.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: American Plat, Starwood Plat
Same thing happened in Hawaii on my recent vacation. A number of states have rules prohibiting loyalty programs/marketing promotions associated with alcohol.

(In my case, I found that even non-alcoholic beverages purchased at the hotel bar were not credited with SPG points, likely due to how it was coded in the computer at purchase)

SPG has a clause in their terms that describe that alcoholic beverages don't (always? can't recall) get SPG points.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by conroy
SPG has a clause in their terms that describe that alcoholic beverages don't (always? can't recall) get SPG points.
It's further up the page in post #2.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by controller1
sc flier, maybe now you'll believe it. This is from SanDiego1K's link (thanks SanDiego1K):

No licensee shall, directly or indirectly, give any premium, gift, or free goods in connection with the sale or distribution of any alcoholic beverage...

That would seem to cover the awarding of SPG points. A rebate is a reduction in price and probably escapes the above clause.
Thanks! Yes, I do now believe it.

Over 25 years ago, the CA courts ruled that the clause that you mentioned allows cash rebates. But since Starpoints are not cash, they are disallowed.

Originally Posted by pinniped
I had no idea that California had such far-reaching authority to regulate the price of alcoholic beverages - especially in bars.
This isn't a regulation on the price. It's a regulation on giveaways.

I know many states have liquor laws about giving away free alcohol (or effectively doing that with "penny pitchers", etc.), but you'd think a 9-12% discount off of the price of hotel drinks would not approach that part of the law.
Part of the problem here is that it would not be a cash discount. Even if it were, the discount would be targeted at specific customers and not available to everyone (at least at the elite level) -- something else that CA seems to disallow.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:19 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Well the portion from our T&Cs is correctly applied in this case though I would not know if there is such a law in California that forbids earning of points on alcoholic beverages.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Losing your mind today Thyetus? Haha.

Guys, there's a few posts over it in the FAQ thread about earning points on F&B without stays. There's also a few standalone threads that William basically quoted that you can receive points on alcohol in certain states. Here's a link to where Thyetus listed the states.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I produced my SPG card at the Sheraton Grand SMF for our drinks in the bar. Only drinks. Was given the chit showing my SPG number and spend. In the end no points posted to my account.
when you eat in a participating restaurant & have a spend of over $10 (excluding alcohol in some places) then you are eligable to earn points, but in my experience most of the time you have to chase down the points....they hardly ever post on their own....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.