Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Starwood Hotels and more add "Resort Fee" as of 15 Aug 2010 on new bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Starwood Hotels and more add "Resort Fee" as of 15 Aug 2010 on new bookings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Apparently, Customer Care feels it's not only not world-wide, but that individual properties can opt out.
The Customer Care rep that replied to me (above) was apparently clueless.

According to spg.com, "As a Platinum member, you have access to our highest level of benefits, which now includes complimentary in-room Internet access.1 Now when you travel with SPG® you'll enjoy in-room Internet access — on us — at any of our more than 940 participating properties worldwide." (Key word: "worldwide")

http://www.spgpromos.com/compnetacce...CESS_PROMOTION

Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
... you'll enjoy in-room Internet access — on us — at any of our more than 940 participating properties worldwide." (Key word: "worldwide")
Another key word - "participating". I wonder how or where they define this.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by kluau88
I just checked the email confirmations from at late as July 28 for stays this month and there is no mention of the resort charges. However when I check the reservation online it mentions it.
I have confirmations from reservations made on Aug 14 that do not have the resort fee listed.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:17 pm

I stayed at the Princess for a week last October. No such charges were assessed at that time. I did receive a fruit basket welcome, there was free internet service in the lobby, I did not use Waikiki beach. Of course, that particular hotel is the least expensive Starwood and is across from the beach (and I did have a beach view room). It is not as costly as the other ones, so I could maybe understand if they charged a fee per day for the items already enumerated, but when one gets to the expensive hotels in the Waikiki area, I think it is an unjustified charge, especially for a Starwood card holder.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
adult water wings in the Sher Waikiki (ok, it said pool floats, but..), please tell me they will be banned in the infinity pool.

Disappointing to see these surcharges (and lack of uniformity between the hotels), but if I stay in any of these hotels, I will be sure to use one that includes the parking. I have avoided renting a car for the entirety of my stays due to the parking situation, but if I have to cough up a resort fee, I will definitely maximize my benefits. The question is, what happens if all the guests do this and the parking garage gets full? Do we get our resort fee back?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by neuron
The question is, what happens if all the guests do this and the parking garage gets full? Do we get our resort fee back?
If it's like the Westin Maui, they'll valet park all cars when the lot is full, and then double park them in the lot. This was a terrible annoyance for us when our car was blocked in some early mornings when heading out for dive trips.

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I have confirmations from reservations made on Aug 14 that do not have the resort fee listed.
To be fair, if you refuse the resort fee, you should expect to pay the old parking fee if you will have a car. Parking was $10 at the Sheraton PK, I think.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I hate "resort fees." I think they should be illegal... just raise the ACTUAL rate.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Instead of guessing when the fees were added, perhaps the Lurkers can get a definitive answer when they get back to work. I think they would just have to contact a Regional Coordinator and we will probably have our answer in about two seconds.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:18 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I hate "resort fees." I think they should be illegal... just raise the ACTUAL rate.
Actually, in most industries, this kind of fee is illegal. It's like the ABC Store charging you a fee to allow you to buy a drink from them.

The 'resort fee' as it is charged acrossthe board, is just a cost of running the hotel, so it is improper and unethical, if not illegal, to charge it. It is , in fact, a way of lying about the cost of the room night.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
If the Moana is really including self parking in the 'resort fee' then, for those with cars, the $20 resort fee will be a net fee reduction. The last time i stayed there, self parking was $25 and valet was $32.
But, some rates, including kamaaina rates, have included parking for quite some time. Now, the rates are the same, but parking is extra, via the resort fee. Not a savings, for sure. A crooked price increase.

Aloha
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:59 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I am also Kamaaina/Platinum member so self parking and internet could be free anyway using the kamaaina rate.
I always carry my Cel so I never use hotel phone.
Do they want to charge us the resort fee for what?

Many overseas/mainland guests do not use rent car while staying in Waikiki, anyway.

Therefore, if guests use parking facility, charge them.
If they want to use hotel phone, charge them.
If they want to have a bottle of water, charge them like regular mini bar.
It is not fair to charge all the fees above to all the guests!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by clublounger
But, some rates, including kamaaina rates, have included parking for quite some time. Now, the rates are the same, but parking is extra, via the resort fee.
When you pointed out this inconsistency to the property or SPG Customer Care, what was their reply?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
The 'resort fee' as it is charged acrossthe board, is just a cost of running the hotel, so it is improper and unethical, if not illegal, to charge it. It is , in fact, a way of lying about the cost of the room night.
When you voiced your displeasure with SPG Customer Care, what was their response?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
When you pointed out this inconsistency to the property or SPG Customer Care, what was their reply?
When you voiced your displeasure with SPG Customer Care, what was their response?
You can do multi-quotes in one posting unless your goal is to increase your post number.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I agree. As an SPG Gold member, I am sure SPG Customer Care/Starwood management would be interested in your thoughts, no?

Crying about resort fees on Flyertalk is dandy. Voicing your displeasure with Starwood is even better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.