2010 JD Powers Hotel Ratings

Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
2010 JD Powers Hotel Ratings

In looking at the 2010 JD Powers Hotel Ratings, Starwood has some very interesting results.

It looks like in the Luxury grouping, W's didn't fare too well. While I personally don't prefer the W "vibe", I still would have thought it would do better than the Intercontinentals. And I didn't see St. Regis in there at all. I would have thought the numbers would be similar to the RCs and thus would warrant their being included. I admit, though, that I don't really know how many there truly are or if in the industry they are thought of as much or as highly as RCs or 4-Seasons. (I've stayed at RCs and 4-Seasons before, but never a St. Regis.

I also thought it interesting that the Aloft brand was placed in the Upscale grouping. And even more surprising is how well it seemed to do compared to the other "upscale" chains.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01

It looks like in the Luxury grouping, W's didn't fare too well. While I personally don't prefer the W "vibe", I still would have thought it would do better than the Intercontinentals.
I'm not surprised re the W's ranking. A review by one of my colleagues is telling.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
That's a mass market survey. W's are not going after the mass market and neither is St. Regis or any boutique hotel. This survey is looking for cookie cutter consistency not uniqueness that attracts a small segment of loyal fans.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Working in an industry that JD Powers rates, I would like to have you read the fine print of the survey.

Rankings are based on numerical scores, and not necessarily on statistical significance.

Are JD Power surveys relevant to an industry? Of course because their survey results tend to steer some customers to the brands with the top rating.

Are JD Power surveys accurate? I believe the disclaimer answers that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.