Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Gold vs. Platinum: Does It Excite Anyone Anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold vs. Platinum: Does It Excite Anyone Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:13 am

I think the SPG platinum is probably the best value in the industry. The 500 amenity points are a great deal (normalized, it's at least 5 times as much as you get with other programs), I get a suite upgrade probably 9 out of 10 times, and the lounge access is great too.

So, yes, there is a real noticeable difference from gold for me.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Being new to Plat....biggest thing for me is the extra points. Although I have not noticed a large difference in treatment ie upgrades, perks going from Gold to Plat in my Can/US travels. If not for the extra points, in my case, I'd probably stay Gold and be happy with SPG.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: EK Platinum - SPG Platinum
I have been Platinum for the past 8 years and for me is very clear that Platinum status is worthless in North America and a great advantage in the rest of the world.
The top 3 Platinum benefits:
Up-grades to suites (80% up-grade rate outside the US)
Early-check in (In Dubai I check-in almost every week as early as 6 pm without any issues)
Free transfer to and from airport in some Middle East and Asian cities.

I stayed 5 times at SPG properties in July (Middle East and Europe) and in all of them got up-grade to a suite
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by fhben
I think the SPG platinum is probably the best value in the industry. The 500 amenity points are a great deal (normalized, it's at least 5 times as much as you get with other programs), I get a suite upgrade probably 9 out of 10 times, and the lounge access is great too.

So, yes, there is a real noticeable difference from gold for me.
this is just a flat-out falsehood. hyatt gives you 1,000 bonus points, and even with their category revaluation, the top properties are still only 22,000 points, just slightly higher than an spg cat 6, and substantially lower than all-suite cat 7 spg properties, which can push 6 figure award points per night. this is not a critique of the spg brand, or another in the long line of hyatt diamond vs. spg plat comparisons- i am content with the benefits i receive as an spg plat (although i think the service has slipped substantially in the past 18 months), but merely me pointing out that your claim truly lacks merit, and not for other people to rely on what you claim to be fact.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by plemos
I have been Platinum for the past 8 years and for me is very clear that Platinum status is worthless in North America and a great advantage in the rest of the world.
i wouldn't go as far as to say its worthless in north america, although its much much better in the rest of the world, specially asia....
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
My upgrade percent when I've been a Plat has been maybe 40-50%. in stays ignoring 4P/alofts (although some 4P but not others have suites).

My issue is, I really have no idea whether to expect suite upgrades in the properties I'm at.

Does the SPG website (or, for that matter, some other website) list how many suites different properties have? It seems some do, and some don't in the hotel descriptions. For that matter, when I don't get suites, it's hard to tell when a get a genuinely better room (view/size/etc.) and when I don't, at least in hotels that I'm not familiar with -- they'll always say you've been upgraded.

So I wonder how much the varying experiences of different people can be explained by variations in available suites, how much to competition for those suites (agree with the poster about long-term business travelers especially at Westins), and how much to bad luck.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Platinum amenity points make it worth it for me.
+1. That and the fact that I can transfer points to AA miles with a 25% bump. Perfect for Credit Card use that I used to place on my AA Citicard.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I've been Plat for 12 years and....

....to me the biggest advantage is suites in vacation spots.
I agree the u/g record in NA is spotty at best...but honestly if I am on business I don't care that much....lounge access and free HSI is all I really need.
However in places like hawaii, most of europe and asia which are mostly vacation spots (I did get one former employer to send me on biz to hawaii twice but that's another story) for me, I have had excellent upgrade sucess, which definitely adds to my vacation...so for me thats been its stellar benefit.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Not even close. Platinum is way better than Gold.
Gold is the same as basic or non-membership.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
My experiences as a Gold in Europe and Asia, much less as Platinum have always been way better than anything I've experienced in the States. Stayed at the Westin Detroit last night. My "upgrade" was not a suite, but a "more spacious room." The hotel was DEAD (it's Detroit), yet they couldn't put me in a suite? Seems fishy. I am sure there were plenty of available suites.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Not even close. Platinum is way better than Gold.
Gold is the same as basic or non-membership.
i wouldn't say gold is the same as basic or non-membership....i got a few suite upgrades when i was gold....my father has had gold status for the last few years & he always gets stuff like lounge access, early checkin & late checkout....
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Originally Posted by plemos
The top 3 Platinum benefits:
Up-grades to suites (80% up-grade rate outside the US)
Early-check in (In Dubai I check-in almost every week as early as 6 pm without any issues)
Free transfer to and from airport in some Middle East and Asian cities.

I stayed 5 times at SPG properties in July (Middle East and Europe) and in all of them got up-grade to a suite
Did you mean 6 AM? or checking in previous evening at 6 PM. Although I believe its NOT the later. I would still like to be confirmed.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Part of the problem with Platinum benefits is that the ranks have been bloated over the last couple years with people qualifying through double stay credit, etc., who would otherwise have been Gold. I'm hoping the lack of bonus stay promotions will unload a lof of them. I certainly don't blame those who take advantage of such promotions, and if I wouldn't qualify through my own travel, I'd want to take advantage too. But for those of us who make basic Platinum qualifications without promos, the last few years have meant a lot more competition for Platinum benefits - especially in the room upgrade area.

Very rarely have I been disappointed as a Platinum with SPG.

If you're really concerned about a suite upgrade, call the Rooms Manager at the hotel a few days out and tell him/her how important it is to you.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shinbal
If you're really concerned about a suite upgrade, call the Rooms Manager at the hotel a few days out and tell him/her how important it is to you.
i hate doing that....if i really wanted a suite that badly then i would book one to begin with....
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by shinbal
Part of the problem with Platinum benefits is that the ranks have been bloated over the last couple years with people qualifying through double stay credit, etc., who would otherwise have been Gold. I'm hoping the lack of bonus stay promotions will unload a lof of them. I certainly don't blame those who take advantage of such promotions, and if I wouldn't qualify through my own travel, I'd want to take advantage too. But for those of us who make basic Platinum qualifications without promos, the last few years have meant a lot more competition for Platinum benefits - especially in the room upgrade area.

Very rarely have I been disappointed as a Platinum with SPG.

Also to add to Saad, apparently even with promos the number of Plats don't really increase that much according to the Lurkers.

What may be happening is to entice more business is hotels are blocking off suites for corporate bookers. That way they can offer say Book # of rooms, get # of suites thrown in free, etc.... That would take suites out of the pool for upgrades. (Hypothetical Example)

Last edited by tkyoshi; Aug 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.