Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPG® Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPG® Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by nologic
I think if they just followed the logic and gave 2.5 stay credits...I think people would be more appreciative and accepting of the fee increases.
I might appreciate 2 stay credits, but I'd have absolutely no appreciation for the additional .5 stay credits.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What assumption? Your original list showed already existing rates, so it doesn't really even belong in this thread. If you had asked about the ZHA rate, it would have been different.
If almost everyone is assuming that ZHA will be the same as Z3H (except limited to Sheratons), I don't see how my argument is out of place. Someone said that ZHA would be "worthless" because it's non-refundable. I might agree that the benefit is worthless if it has exactly the same inventory and availability as the Z3H (since Z3H is already available to everyone), but its non-refundable terms don't make it worthless.

But Brendan made another assumption, too, regarding my survey. What was it, and why was it a poor assumption? And which rate would you have chosen, he-who-loves-to-debate-everything?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Hard to say whether I'll abandon the card - it has been very good to me and continues to be my primary-spend card in the absence of a truly unique offer (e.g. the BA 2-for-1 awards and my periodic HHonors Amex flurry to keep at least Gold status over there).
I'm thinking the thing to do is cycle between the personal card & business card (say, with anniversaries 6 months apart) to get recurring first-year-free benefits. The chief drawback, apart from the hassle of canceling/reapplying, would be the need to update card info for regular monthly charges such as wireless, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sc flier
I don't see how my argument is out of place.
Because (a) your example didn't even mention the ZHA rate, and (b) if it is the same as Z3H, it is 100% worthless and not even worth talking about. It would not be worthless because it's non-refundable, but because it duplicates an existing rate that's open to everyone. It's only worth something if it's somehow different - either through terms or availability.

And which rate would you have chosen
Since I'm a planner, I have no problem booking non-refundable rates. I'll try to delay that in case a rate drops or the help desk site opens up, but that's about it.

he-who-loves-to-debate-everything?
Without debate, FT serves no purpose.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jul 31, 2010 at 12:24 pm
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: Airtran A+ Elite, SPG Preferred Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold, AGR
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Will the 3-for-2 at Sheraton be on best available rate? Or will it be on a 'special' rate that will mean you essentially the pay same that you would have done anyway?
That' 's the issue with "deals" like this. It all equals out to the same in the end, but it makes it sound like you are getting some big benefit.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:31 pm

Because (a) your example didn't include the ZHA rate, and (b) if it is the same as Z3H, it is 100% worthless and not even worth talking about. It would not be worthless because it's non-refundable, but because it duplicates an existing rate that's open to everyone. It's only worth something if it's somehow different - either through terms or availability.
And that's why I asked my question earlier about whether ZHA will have additional availability. If it is partially subsidized by Amex, maybe it will be different. I'm hopeful that an answer will come after the weekend.

ma91pmh,
According to the terms in the letter, ZHA/ZRA will be "based on Starwood's best available unrestricted retail rates." This is the exact same wording for Z3H/Z3R's terms.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA, QFF, AA, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Circle.
Thumbs down It's all over....

Looking at my card, I just realize that have I been with SPG Amex since 2001.

Next year when the time comes for the new policy to be in effect, I will be cancelling. It's been a good run for 10 years. It was the best card for its annual fee/benefits of all time, and the Freddie Awards proved it.

From 2011 onwards, it's just spiral down into an ordinary Amex themed card.

Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Really?

While I see these two new 'exciting benefits' as a joke, I'm perplexed by all the hand-wringing over the increase in TWENTY DOLLARS a year. That's three Cokes from a minibar.

All the other benefits of this card are worth $45 -- but at $65, it's "I'm outa here"?

Seriously?

I see why some programs have such little interest in even trying to please much of the FlyerTalk crowd.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
That's three Cokes from a minibar.
The $20 difference isn't significant to me either, but I find this a ridiculous comparison. In this case, it's $20 for no additional benefit (as far as we can tell so far). I would never buy a Coke from anyone trying to rip me off like that, and I have to question the intelligence of anyone who would, but at least you get three Cokes for your money. (Though since you can get 80 Cokes or more from the supermarket for that price, why would you want that anyway?)
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I find this a ridiculous comparison.
I'm shocked.

Good grief, let's be literal. The point is. . . we're talking about twenty bucks. Over a year. Take a look at what's happened to credit card and bank fees -- all over the market. This card still comes with considerable benefits -- what many consider the best in this points-earning business. And it's going to cost twenty bucks more -- for a grand total of $65.

I remain perplexed that twenty dollars is the break point. YMMV.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:30 pm

I'm shocked.
Thinking before posting will reduce that reaction...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Have to add to the chorus of "no additional benefits here".

However, one thing I'm not clear on from what I've read here from those who've received their letters (I'm away from home till September, so won't be able to read it till I'm home or till the website shows it): it seems you can book a 6- or 9-night stay, so long as you arrive at the hotel Thurs-Sat, and you'd get 3 for 2 during that stay.

1 - Is this correct?

2 - If so, is this different than the ZH3's and such?

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by From NYC
2 - If so, is this different than the ZH3's and such?
If true, it would be different, as you can't book back-to-back Z3H rates (though you could book Z6H to at least get that part).
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:08 pm

If true, it would be different, as you can't book back-to-back Z3H rates (though you could book Z6H to at least get that part).
At many hotels, you can now use Z3H/R rates for 3 to 30 consecutive nights (arriving Thu–Sat for H, in multiples of 3). (An example: Westin Diplomat May 2010.)

This changed in the last two years; the rate terms read something like “consecutive reservations for this offer will not be honored” but now you often find a maximum stay length of 33 nights. Very technically you might not be able to book a 9–night Thursday–Saturday Z3H stay, and then check right back in for a separate Z3H reservation on Saturday.

Last edited by Moriens; Jul 31, 2010 at 7:19 pm Reason: example and details
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Wow, I'm shocked at how much people don't like this. I personally love these changes.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:02 pm

While I see these two new 'exciting benefits' as a joke, I'm perplexed by all the hand-wringing over the increase in TWENTY DOLLARS a year. That's three Cokes from a minibar.
I agree, AZ.

If Amex had just said, "We're raising the fee by $20 and will no longer give the SPG50 certificate," would the response have been the same? I'm more irritated by the appearance of a ZHA/ZHR ruse than the increase in the fee. I spend enough on the card to justify the fee, and I want the additional point per dollar when charging my SPG stays to the card.

(I never buy Cokes from the minibar. How about, "It's 2 Diet Cokes to rent a table on the roof of the Gritti Palace"?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.