A way to see suite availability

Old Jul 21, 10, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
On the contrary, it is sometimes more financially sound and feasible to simply take suites (sometimes even entire floors of a hotel) out of inventory than sell them for less than what it costs to maintain their occupancy. @:-)

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Can a hotel take suites out of inventory rather than offer upgrades?
Old Jul 21, 10, 3:08 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by KingBraden View Post
Can a hotel take suites out of inventory rather than offer upgrades?
A hotel can do whatever it pleases when it comes to long-term revenue management, but it is very doubtful they would do this just to avoid giving someone an upgrade in the short-term. That would make no fiscal sense whatsoever.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 21, 10, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
No, but if you go back and read what I (and others) have said, you will see that suites do actually price out under the right circumstances.
Got it. So you have to either have a corporate plan or lie about the number of guests.
Old Jul 21, 10, 3:46 pm

While hotels may be “hiding” suites for these reasons intentionally, I think it's more often a consequence of how Starwood websites work. They only show four room types per rate plan (such as DAILY0 or BAR or package rates).

Since it's common for suites to be available at BAR and/or package rates but not discount rates, there need to be only three or fewer different non-suite room types available at BAR for a suite to show up.

Similarly, special room types (such as patio rooms at the Westin Pasadena) only show up on SPG.com when cheaper rooms are filled. (The rooms and suites often show up when searching for a particular rate, which happens when you use a SET number or a ZXH promotion code.)

While there may be good business reasons for doing this once in a while, SPG.com does this to every (non-promo) search at every property, which means it's probably a website bug, not a business decision. (Or did Starwood actually decide to only show four room types per rate, ever, no matter what?)
Old Jul 21, 10, 3:54 pm

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
It seems to be so that you can see with the AAA/CAA rate more likely at least a junior suite or other suites than with the normal search...
Old Jul 21, 10, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Moriens View Post
...(Or did Starwood actually decide to only show four room types per rate, ever, no matter what?)
Usually, there are only four room types on a given rate plan, but I'm sure there are hotels where one can find an exception to that.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 21, 10, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Usually, there are only four room types on a given rate plan, but I'm sure there are hotels where one can find an exception to that.
I thought of one as soon as I read Morien's comment. A basic search for the Westin Maui on 9/20/2010 shows me 6 different room types for the Reserve & Relax rates and 6 for the Endless Escape rates. Only 3 of the room types are the same between the two rates, so 9 room types are represented between the two. None of these are suites.

I did find an obscure bug in spg.com, though. When on the Westin Maui rate search, I can select up to 6 adults. If no rooms are offered, it kicks me back to the list of area hotels. There, the selection box for the number of adults is limited to 4. It says 1 adult even though my selection really is still 6 (as seen in the URL). If I click on the Westin again, I keep remaining in the full list of area hotels.

At the Sheraton Maui on the same date, a max of 6 room types show up at a time per rate plan. If I choose 4 or 5 adults, it forces out the rooms with 1 King and increases the number of Suite options that I see.

These two properties came to mind because they both have a very large number of room types/configurations. 4 would simply be too few.
Old Jul 21, 10, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier View Post
...These two properties came to mind because they both have a very large number of room types/configurations. 4 would simply be too few.
Yes, that would stand to reason.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jul 21, 10, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
With my SET/corporate code it definitely shows suites. For european stays it also shows the presidential suite if available.
Old Jul 22, 10, 12:28 am

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sc flier View Post
I've also seen suites on the AAA rates when they don't show up on the standard rates. This has never made a lot of sense to me.

Ultimately, the choice is up to each hotel. Obviously (?), there are wide variations among different properties since some properties have more suites than others and target markets vary (corporate, leisure, luxury, meetings/conventions, etc., or a combination of those).
I actually joined AAA just to be able to be within the rules and book suites.

As far as this costing SPG money, I've personally given up on several SPG hotels because they won't sell me the rooms that I want on-line. Could you imagine an airline refusing to sell their first class seats on-line? IMHO, this problem is shared by most hotels and hotel chains, and it is sheer insanity. The amount of money left on the table is, IMHO, staggering.
Old Jul 22, 10, 4:51 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Shouldn't a standard search show all available options?
not on google.cn or spg.com

Search this Thread
Search Engine: