Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

HELPED BY SLII and HOTEL: Lhasa 4 Pts sold out for the 2nd day. What can I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonor Gold;Hyatt Diamond;SPG Platinum

I plan to visit Lhasa early next month and want to stay at 4P for two nights(8/6~8/8). There are about 20 rooms available for the first night, but no room availability could be found for the second night. Called the Starwood Call Center and hotel sales department. No room. Is there anything else I can do?
Much appreciated if FTers and Lurkers could help me with this as my itinerary is really inflexible.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:21 pm

Are you a Starwood Platinum member? Guaranteed availability. Book the BAR for the first night and have them override and pay the RACK rate the 2nd night if you must stay there......
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
Are you a Starwood Platinum member? Guaranteed availability. Book the BAR for the first night and have them override and pay the RACK rate the 2nd night if you must stay there......
Thanks, WScottsdaleInsider. I just want to ask whether the guaranteed room availibility benefit for PLT could be applied here. Will call Starwood to see what happens. Thank you so much.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
they could deny you the room if there is a special event taking place....even with the plat gaurantee....

this happened to me a couple of years ago in singapore during the first f1 grand prix....both starwood & hilton told me i couldn't use the gaurantee for those dates....
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:56 pm

Just call Amex concierge if you have Platinum card, they work wonders.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
There is a religious festival around the period you are looking into. This might contribute to the reason why the property is sold out(true) on the 7th August.

In addition, there is a full week of holidays during that period as well, so might have to factor in the local guests.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saad
they could deny you the room if there is a special event taking place....even with the plat gaurantee....

this happened to me a couple of years ago in singapore during the first f1 grand prix....both starwood & hilton told me i couldn't use the gaurantee for those dates....
That's what I worry about. Need to check T&C.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
There is a religious festival around the period you are looking into. This might contribute to the reason why the property is sold out(true) on the 7th August.

In addition, there is a full week of holidays during that period as well, so might have to factor in the local guests.

[email protected]

Thyetus, do you mean the guranteed room availability benefit for PLT could not be applied here?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by paranoid
That's what I worry about. Need to check T&C.

Thyetus, do you mean the guranteed room availability benefit for PLT could not be applied here?
Nope. I am just warning other non-Platinum guests who have the intention to visit Lhasa as well that you would have to make alternative plans if your itinerary includes this hotel as well.

Here is a portion of the T&Cs for the Platinum membership related to this issue.

"If a Platinum Member attempts to book a room at least 72 hours prior to 3pm (hotel time) on day of intended arrival, and the participating property is sold out, the property shall make a standard room available at the regular (RACK) or Mandatory rate. BLACK OUT DATES APPLY AND RESORT PROPERTIES AND CERTAIN HOTELS ARE EXCLUDED. Upgrade benefit and Free Night Award redemption does not apply when this benefit is utilized. This benefit is restricted to 1 room per Member. Minimum length of stay requirements, if any, for the participating property must be met. "

There are 2 conditions listed over here that are crucial.

(i) Black out dates officially declared by the property(upon approval) due to a special event at the property or within its vicinity.
(ii) Minimum length of stay requirements set up by the property.

Do ring up Platinum Concierge to get this sorted out with the property.

[email protected]

Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Nope. I am just warning other non-Platinum guests who have the intention to visit Lhasa as well that you would have to make alternative plans if your itinerary includes this hotel as well.

Here is a portion of the T&Cs for the Platinum membership related to this issue.

"If a Platinum Member attempts to book a room at least 72 hours prior to 3pm (hotel time) on day of intended arrival, and the participating property is sold out, the property shall make a standard room available at the regular (RACK) or Mandatory rate. BLACK OUT DATES APPLY AND RESORT PROPERTIES AND CERTAIN HOTELS ARE EXCLUDED. Upgrade benefit and Free Night Award redemption does not apply when this benefit is utilized. This benefit is restricted to 1 room per Member. Minimum length of stay requirements, if any, for the participating property must be met. "

There are 2 conditions listed over here that are crucial.

(i) Black out dates officially declared by the property(upon approval) due to a special event at the property or within its vicinity.
(ii) Minimum length of stay requirements set up by the property.

Do ring up Platinum Concierge to get this sorted out with the property.

[email protected]

Thanks, Thyetus. ^
One more question. Does Starwood have a record of the BLACKOUT dates and the minimun length of stay requirements for individual hotels? Please kindly PM me the blackout dates for Y2010 delcared by 4P Lhasa if you have it. Thank you so much.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:56 am

Thanks, Thyetus. ^
One more question. Does Starwood have a record of the BLACKOUT dates and the minimun length of stay requirements for individual hotels? Please kindly PM me the blackout dates for Y2010 delcared by 4P Lhasa if you have it. Thank you so much.
There isn't a record for Blackout dates, but when you proceed to make a booking for a certain date or during a certain period, like Youth Olympics Games in Singapore next month, there might be a property condition available on the website or via our reservation system stating that rooms would be full. That would be counted as an official declaration.

Similarly, we do not have a record for minimum length of stay for our properties. But by giving your nearest Platinum Concierge a call should be able to provide such information.

[email protected]

Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:34 pm

This is a no brainer just call the hotel and say you are there for the religious festival! Duh!

And you get a much better rate.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Magic work by Platinum Concierge in Singapore

There isn't a record for Blackout dates, but when you proceed to make a booking for a certain date or during a certain period, like Youth Olympics Games in Singapore next month, there might be a property condition available on the website or via our reservation system stating that rooms would be full. That would be counted as an official declaration.

Similarly, we do not have a record for minimum length of stay for our properties. But by giving your nearest Platinum Concierge a call should be able to provide such information.

[email protected]

I followed Thyetus' advice to call the nearest Platinum Concierge in Singapore in the afternoon yesterday. Three hours later, I got a phone call from the Front Desk Manager of 4P/St. Regis Lhasa. They already confirmed my reservation and offerred the same rate for the second night with first night's BAR. ^

^ to both Platinum Concierge in Singapore and 4P Lhasa.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrEntrepreneur
This is a no brainer just call the hotel and say you are there for the religious festival! Duh!

And you get a much better rate.
I contaced the hotel before calling SPG. No luck!

It's not wise to quote religious belief as some reason in China. Never use that.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I followed Thyetus' advice to call the nearest Platinum Concierge in Singapore in the afternoon yesterday. Three hours later, I got a phone call from the Front Desk Manager of 4P/St. Regis Lhasa. They already confirmed my reservation and offerred the same rate for the second night with first night's BAR. ^

Glad that it all worked out for you. I'm impressed by the SPG service. Have fun in Lhasa.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

good stuff....glad it all worked out....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.