FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   SPG Best of Europe - What are your top European Starwood Properties? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1105210-spg-best-europe-what-your-top-european-starwood-properties.html)

SanDiego1K Jul 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Great input from lots of people. I've brought the list current. Of course, there are varying opinions, and I have done my best to fairly represent them in the summary. I appreciate those who have given word pictures of the hotels as part of their list. It brings the summary more alive, than simply listing names of hotels.

Additional input is welcomed.

Sphinx Jul 21, 2010 12:10 am

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 14320065)
France
Paris - Prince de Galles - 2009/10 reports of indifferent service, but location is great - across from Tuilerie Gardens and near Louvre (have always treated us like kings- also has a good concierge staff)

Nope. It is the Westin that is accross from the Tuilerie Gardens. The PdG is next to the George V hotel off of the Champs Elyssees. Which one of the two did you mean to include?

SanDiego1K Jul 21, 2010 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Sphinx (Post 14337856)
Nope. It is the Westin that is accross from the Tuilerie Gardens. The PdG is next to the George V hotel off of the Champs Elyssees. Which one of the two did you mean to include?

I corrected the error earlier today.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 14295175)
Paris - Prince de Galles - near Arc de Triomphe off Champs Elysee and next to George V, superb concierge staff, 2009/10 reports of indifferent service other than concierges
Paris - Westin - location is great - across from Tuilerie Gardens and near Louvre, reports of indifferent service

mario33 Jul 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sphinx (Post 14337856)
It is the Westin that is accross from the Tuilerie Gardens.

Yes, the Westin Paris has a great location but I honestly do not think it deserves to be on this listed here. This was a former InterContinental hotel which the ICHG sold off after the refurbishment of the Le Grande. Rooms are tiny and worn (may have been refurbished by now) and it struggles to provide basic service.

stimpy Jul 22, 2010 1:46 am

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 14343180)
Yes, the Westin Paris has a great location but I honestly do not think it deserves to be on this listed here. This was a former InterContinental hotel which the ICHG sold off after the refurbishment of the Le Grande. Rooms are tiny and worn (may have been refurbished by now) and it struggles to provide basic service.

I agree. There are far too many negative reviews to put this property on a "best" list. The location is the only good thing about it. I am not denying that some have had nice stays here, but a lot of people have had pretty bad stays and the property just isn't up to snuff. I think the management is trying to cater to too many different groups. This is always a problem in large Parisien hotels, but others pull it off better.

SanDiego1K Jul 22, 2010 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 14343180)
Yes, the Westin Paris has a great location but I honestly do not think it deserves to be on this listed here.

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 14344494)
I agree. There are far too many negative reviews to put this property on a "best" list.

Valid points. I've now deleted the property from the list.

izzik Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

I'd like to add the Sheraton CDG to the list. It's superbly located in the airport by the RER/TGV station and the interior is an oasis of calm - lots of wood, natural light, and even has a Club lounge.

stimpy Jul 22, 2010 11:32 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 14346415)
I'd like to add the Sheraton CDG to the list. It's superbly located in the airport by the RER/TGV station and the interior is an oasis of calm - lots of wood, natural light, and even has a Club lounge.

The Sheraton CDG is an excellent airport hotel, as is the Sheraton AMS and BRU and FRA. But they should not be compared to the finer city hotels.

Forstbetrieb Sep 27, 2010 10:43 am

I would like to add a little bit to the list ;)

Austria:

Sheraton Salzburg: ^

located directly at the Mirabellgarten, great service, warm welcome, very good kitchen and an outstanding lounge. BTW great platinum treatments. I like it on every weekday ;)

Schloß Fuschl ^

Imperial Wien ^

Bristol Wien ^

I would prefer not to write anything about GH...

Italy:

Grand Hotel Firenze: ^

OUTSTANDING!!! Service, Kitchen, Concierge, Reception at its best!!!
Hope after reflagging into St. Regis and renovation will be the same level!!!

Westin Excelsior Roma: ^

Good Kitchen, good Service, good Concierge, good Reception and good Location.
A bargain with points after downgrading from cat.6 to 5!!!

Germany:

Westin Grand Berlin: ^

Unbeatable Location ( Unter den Linden / Friedrichstraße )
Huge and outstanding Breakfast Buffet, good Concierge, good Reception.

Westin Grand München Arabellapark: ^

Even though a little bit out of town it is a very good starting point for munich and surrounding area on every weekday. Huge and outstanding Breakfast Buffet, good Kitchen ( ZEN ), nice Bar, nice Lounge with great view, good Concierge.

Le Royal Meridien Hamburg ^

Fürstenhof Leipzig ^

Elephant Weimar ^

momia Sep 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Our favorite was the Sheraton Krakow. Nice room, great location, b'fast included and friendly, genuinely cheerful staff.

BulaRae Sep 27, 2010 6:35 pm

IMO there's no way the Sheraton CDG should be on this list. One would never, in a million years, stay there for a weekend or "just because".

I would add the Westin Munich and may go for a long weekend trip to the Christmas Markets. Their service was great, lounge is one of the best I've ever experienced and you can basically eat there all day if you're not a European-style eater who likes huge meals. The location is great with easy access to the underground right across the street and just a short ride to major places like Marienplatz.

And from Munich it's easy access to Bavaria and things like the Neuschwanstein Castle that you can do for the day.

albutt27 Sep 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Blue Palace - Crete, Greece

Le Meridian - Barcelona, Spain

Definately NOT Prince Des Galles... was given horrible room as platinum member on their honeymoon

Keyser Sep 30, 2010 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by albutt27 (Post 14864649)
Le Meridian - Barcelona, Spain

^^

Sandibeck Nov 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Old Classic Grand Hotel -
One of the best hotels in austria:

Hotel Imperial Vienna

Do it on the "Vienna opernball" days, you will feel like a real kaiser:)

jaejaez Nov 26, 2010 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb (Post 14808178)
I would like to add a little bit to the list ;)

Austria:

Schloß Fuschl ^

I have still not seen any recent reviews of this property... can you pls share a bit on why you liked it? Many thanks in advance! :cool: